CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-12-2011, 02:48 PM   #11
Megan Starr

Profile:
Re: Should my kipping Pullups help my "strict pullups"?

Thanks guys for the feed back!

*Tamara* hahaha I guess I answered my own question without even realizing it!

So, I will be getting my butt in there and work on my dead-hangs some more.....

So the consensus being that kipping pullups are way easier.... should improving my dead-hangs help with my kipping pull ups? Is there any overlap in muscles used? Or shouls I really be thinking of them as two seperate skills.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:01 PM   #12
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan Starr View Post
So the consensus being that kipping pullups are way easier.... should improving my dead-hangs help with my kipping pull ups? Is there any overlap in muscles used? Or shouls I really be thinking of them as two seperate skills.
Not easier, different...not sure if it was earlier in this thread or another, but someone posted they have about 20 deadhangs and only about 2 kips...

A kipping pull-up or series of them requires; solid shoulder/thoracic mobility, rhythm/coordination, and some level of grip/pulling strength.

You don't need much of the first two for strict pull-ups and anyone who lacks considerably in those two areas will have much more issue developing kipping pull-ups than strict. It just so happens that most uninitiated lack strength more than anything else.

Last edited by Aushion Chatman; 07-12-2011 at 04:04 PM..
Old 07-12-2011, 04:16 PM   #13
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

I'm going to say that kipping pullups MAY HAVE helped my dead hangs. Pre-kipping I did 4 maybe 6 at max. After I learned to kip, I was able to hit an 18rep strict p/u max and 32kipping max. It could have been an increase in muscle awareness. It could have been an increase in frequency of pull ups in my training. It could be a function of both.

I don't understand how kipping and strict pullups are completely different exercises. They work pretty much the same muscle groups. Same with strict press, push press, push jerk - pretty much the same muscle groups. They are a little different, each with a different focus, but you're still basically working the same muscles through similar movement.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:16 PM   #14
Pearse Shields

Profile:

What helped my deadhang pull-ups the most was doing them. I went from having about 15 to 23 last year while I was studying in Wellington. At the gym there, I focused on back squats, pull-ups and dumbbell lifts. Know what happened? My back squat (which I had neglected) increased by 30kg in 3 months, deadhangs increased and I could snatch a 40kg dumbbell at 69kg bodyweight. If you train something, you'll get better at it. Try hard and you'll improve. It really is as simple as that.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:17 PM   #15
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearse Shields View Post
If you train something, you'll get better at it.
Quoted for emphasis.

Sometimes, late at night, I think about how my OHS with PVC hasn't gotten any better in the last year. And, then, I remember that I haven't been training it. Duh.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:13 PM   #16
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
Quoted for emphasis.

Sometimes, late at night, I think about how my OHS with PVC hasn't gotten any better in the last year. And, then, I remember that I haven't been training it. Duh.
Yeah it's looking pretty shabby in your avatar....you might want to fix that.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:41 PM   #17
Emily Mattes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aushion Chatman View Post
Gymnasts have utilized this exercise for decades, albeit not to the volume Crossfit often prescribes...
And my understanding is the gymnast's kipping pull-up is about as different from the CF kipping pull-up as the gymnast's muscle-up is from the CF muscle-up. They're a heck of a lot more controlled and thus require a lot more upper-body strength to execute than the crazy swinging most Crossfitters employ.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:50 PM   #18
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Mattes View Post
And my understanding is the gymnast's kipping pull-up is about as different from the CF kipping pull-up as the gymnast's muscle-up is from the CF muscle-up. They're a heck of a lot more controlled and thus require a lot more upper-body strength to execute than the crazy swinging most Crossfitters employ.
Well the kipping pull-up for a gymnast is really an entry level training technique. I don't think much thought is given to how it is performed beyond what you'd get at any CF affiliate. Arch/Hollow, open the hips to use momentum to get at least chin over the bar. maybe some gymnasts would naturally keep legs together and have a tighter looking arch/hollow??

I think it more depends on who your trainer is as to how your kip will look.

Also it's hard to say a kipping pull up of any fashion requires upper-body strength, I mean yeah it does in the way a push-up does, but it's not a strength building exercise so to me it's strange to think about how much upper-body strength you use...
Old 08-02-2011, 04:28 AM   #19
Elizabeth Hall

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dowling View Post
that's crazy that you can do 20 kipping pull ups and 100 kipping pull ups in a WOD but only 4 deadhangs. i can do 15-20 deadhangs and not string together two kipping pull ups because i suck...
Not crazy in my opinion. I can do 1, yep ONE deadhang, and that's barely but I can kip no problem. I've done Murph RX'd, so I too can do 100 kipping pullups in a WOD. And I'm not the only one at my box that can do this. I know many people that can kip but cannot even do 1 deadhang. Do I think this is okay, absolutely not. I've wrecked my shoulder doing this and tear my hands ALOT. After this last time ripping I'm done kipping for awhile. I am back to the drawing board and going to work on my deadhangs. And to say that because you can do more deadhangs than kipping pullups you "suck" is false, in fact I believe that makes you the winner over me. Your shoulder and hands appreciate you WAY more than mine appreciate me!

Last edited by Elizabeth Hall; 08-02-2011 at 04:32 AM.. Reason: clarity
Old 08-02-2011, 05:39 AM   #20
Justin Z. Smith

Profile:

Kipping should help your strict only very very slightly. Strict should help your cheating movement much more.

Justin