CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-12-2011, 12:44 AM   #91
Aushion Chatman

Profile:
Re: Elite CrossFit athlete development theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
You're still missing it. Just because you're preparing for something varied doesn't mean you just do varied stuff with no attention to how adaptations occur.
Shane, you are over-estimating the programming prowess of mil/leo facilitators... "No attention to how adaptations occur" is actually spot on.

Other than that, carry-on.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:53 AM   #92
Emily Mattes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauricio Leal View Post
Almost every "problem" with mainsite programming is solved by scaling. This is not complicated. It's a bitter pill to swallow for a lot of wannabes, but whose problem is that?
Please explain how scaling addresses issues of completely randomizing workouts without any specific focus and overemphasizing certain movements through successive workouts, thus inviting injury.

Also please explain how encouraging the use of scaled forms of exercise that emphasize the eccentric portion of the movement--like jumping negatives--is a good thing in light of the heightened risk of rhabdomyolysis that results from them.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:57 AM   #93
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauricio Leal View Post
Almost every "problem" with mainsite programming is solved by scaling. This is not complicated. It's a bitter pill to swallow for a lot of wannabes, but whose problem is that?
Well, I would argue that at some point, scaling a mainsite WOD might not be the best way for those "wannabes" to achieve their goals. Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean it is the BEST way of doing it. If someone's goal is to do mainsite WODs as Rx'd, then I think in many cases, the best way to achieve that goal is NOT necessarily by doing the scaled version of those WODs.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:02 AM   #94
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Mattes View Post
Please explain how scaling addresses issues of completely randomizing workouts without any specific focus and overemphasizing certain movements through successive workouts, thus inviting injury.

Also please explain how encouraging the use of scaled forms of exercise that emphasize the eccentric portion of the movement--like jumping negatives--is a good thing in light of the heightened risk of rhabdomyolysis that results from them.
Negatives are strength training, they should be treated as such...throwing them in conditioning is asking for trouble. BUT negatives are (can be) a good thing...a jumping negative is okay if it is programmed more like 3x5 with 2-3 mins rest between sets...bad idea if you're doing it for 50 reps for time.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:29 PM   #95
Emily Mattes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aushion Chatman View Post
Negatives are strength training, they should be treated as such...throwing them in conditioning is asking for trouble. BUT negatives are (can be) a good thing...a jumping negative is okay if it is programmed more like 3x5 with 2-3 mins rest between sets...bad idea if you're doing it for 50 reps for time.
Well, of course . . . but let's be honest, when does HQ ever program pull-ups in a way that make jumping negatives a good scale?
Old 07-12-2011, 12:49 PM   #96
Mauricio Leal

Profile:

Quote:
Easy. When you're exhausted/fatigued in a certain anatomical area from a certain movement, scale movements/loads/reps down that tax those areas. "Randomizing" actually helps avoid overuse. I even encourage scaling within a workout when it becomes obvious that something isn't right.

Quote:
No one ever forced you to use a particular scaling variety. CF.com cannot be held responsible for poor coaching or poor decision-making.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
Well, I would argue that at some point, scaling a mainsite WOD might not be the best way for those "wannabes" to achieve their goals. Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean it is the BEST way of doing it. If someone's goal is to do mainsite WODs as Rx'd, then I think in many cases, the best way to achieve that goal is NOT necessarily by doing the scaled version of those WODs.
And in many cases, maybe it is. I love this. When push comes to shove, we must all equivocate because truth-be-told no one can say with authority what Perfect Programming looks like yet. I am a fan of making people strong first as you are, but that's not because I think it is absolutely the optimal way to program, it's mostly because we assume people are not very good at listening to their bodies and scaling with sound judgement. This is a good enough reason to reduce a group class' programming to KISS. It is not when talking about the theory of making an elite Games competitor.

Last edited by Mauricio Leal; 07-12-2011 at 12:52 PM..
Old 07-12-2011, 01:31 PM   #97
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Quote:
Well, of course . . . but let's be honest, when does HQ ever program pull-ups in a way that make jumping negatives a good scale?
I wasn't countering you, just the way you said that was a little too inclusive of negative work being bad.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:45 PM   #98
Aushion Chatman

Profile:
Re: Elite crossfit athlete development theory

The perfect program is individualized, regardless of final goals, CF Games, any sport/game, general fitness...

As a trainer or affiliate it just seems like common sense that the more you can individualize for your clients the better results they will see.

If you don't care or have time or whatever to individualize, then you'll have less individual success with clients obviously. Mainsite is decent, lots of ownus on the individual who is participating to not get in over their heads, assumes a lot, but it is free, when something is free, I have a hard time with complainers...most of us live in capitalist USA, you lose priviledges to complain when you get something for free, just throw it away. I don't see much reason for anyone to counter this, but I've seen it argued before. Arguing this is un-American though, so keep that in mind Commies. ; )

In an affiliate though, where the trainer is paid, or any gym for that manner, the ownus should be split with more responsibility going to the paid trainer.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:48 PM   #99
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aushion Chatman View Post
In an affiliate though, where the trainer is paid, or any gym for that manner, the ownus should be split with more responsibility going to the paid trainer.
And, this is why I question some of the membership fees that are being charged when so many affiliates are posting one WOD for all members.

SCALING is not the same as INDIVIDUALIZING.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:01 PM   #100
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
And, this is why I question some of the membership fees that are being charged when so many affiliates are posting one WOD for all members.

SCALING is not the same as INDIVIDUALIZING.
Well, if there wasn't the community aspect to CF I think you'd see every affiliate without any leeway for individualizing programming to suffer...But with the community aspect, sometimes folks are paying the membership prices for reasons simliar to the way guys do at premier golf clubs, You are IN, and you have like minded folks around you, everyone knows your name, and they're all glad you came...ya know.