CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 08-04-2012, 08:29 PM   #1
Devon Morante

Profile:
Looking for some ideas and advice on bicep tendonitis....

I think i've developed tendonitis in my bicep tendon of my left arm. Pushups, and any overhead work makes the bicep tendon near the shoulder connection get really inflamed and I get sharp pain if I try going overhead. I just took 2 weeks off and was icing everyday and using a tens unit on it. It felt great, got back in the box and it lasted maybe a week and a half, as soon as we had a few wods with shoulder work (hspu, pullups, mu's, thrusters, kb swings, etc.) it quickly got inflamed to hell again and started giving me a lot of sharp pain again when trying to go overhead. So i'm thinking it's tendonitis and not just an injury. Any suggestions on what to do for this. It's screwing up my training and i'm getting really frustrated! Most of the time if something hurts I can just push through it and ice and it eventually goes away, but this isn't going away and I can't push through it, when it's inflamed, it will stop me from being able to get full extension overhead from the excrutiating pain. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, especially if you have any personal experience with the same problem. Also, I went to my physical therapist and they were working on it and their answer was to never do anything overhead internally rotated ever again and thats not acceptable to me, I want it fixed, I don't want to be told I can't do something, that's rediculous, thinking I need to find a new PT!
Old 08-05-2012, 04:06 AM   #2
Nick Hoffman

Profile:
Re: Looking for some ideas and advice on bicep tendonitis....

Your mistake was just jumping back into it. You gotta slowly work your way back up or what happened to you happens. I know from personal experience. Do not just push through the pain as the injury will only get worse.

Steven Low has a good article about tendonitis: http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/08/on-tendonitis/ wfs
Old 08-05-2012, 08:18 AM   #3
Megan Zetter

Profile:

Biceps tendonitis is often a symptom of poor scapular stability and or position. This can be due to posture, repetitive movements, muscular imbalances, etc ... Have someone assess your shoulder complex to get to the root of the issue.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:55 AM   #4
Devon Morante

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan Zetter View Post
Biceps tendonitis is often a symptom of poor scapular stability and or position. This can be due to posture, repetitive movements, muscular imbalances, etc ... Have someone assess your shoulder complex to get to the root of the issue.
Who do i go to to get that assessed?
Old 08-05-2012, 10:59 AM   #5
Devon Morante

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hoffman View Post
Your mistake was just jumping back into it. You gotta slowly work your way back up or what happened to you happens. I know from personal experience. Do not just push through the pain as the injury will only get worse.

Steven Low has a good article about tendonitis: http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/08/on-tendonitis/ wfs
Yeah, i didnt realize it was something serious cuz it felt back to 100% after the 2 weeks off, thats why its so frustrating that its back already. When u say build back up, how do u really do that with crossfit, i have a hard time not going pedal down the whole time and since it felt good, i didnt think it was a problem. I will take a look at the article when i get home, thanks.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:30 PM   #6
Megan Zetter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon Morante View Post
Who do i go to to get that assessed?
PT
chiro
sports med doc
some ATC's are really good with this sort of injury too