CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 03-14-2006, 03:53 AM   #1
Sean Guerrant

Profile:

Hey, Boys and Girls:
Went after CF#6 (500m row then 20 strict pullups) today after the hang clean workout. Gave myself a 5 minute rest and managed it in 3:52!
Kempie, row was in 1:40.2. I managed to keep the pace (per 500m) at about 1:32 most of the time, but faded on the last 100. Given my "stature" I'm pretty happy about that time - I'm thinking that no age "scaling" is fine, but there ought to be some kind of height scaling for rowing! (jk) I think I'm capable of knocking some seconds off here and there, but probably not much more off of the row - probably not down to 1:26.
Old 03-14-2006, 05:55 AM   #2
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
Nice work Sean! I tried #6 but couldn't manage 20 strict (dead hang) chinups without breaking the set. :-(
Old 03-14-2006, 09:09 AM   #3
Chris Kemp

Profile:
Sean, nice job mate, I have looked at that one but still a ways away from getting a set of 20 strict (I assume this means dead hang) pull-ups fresh, let alone after a max effort row.

If you're getting the 1:32 pace for most of it just need to bring along the metcon a little bit to hold on a fraction longer. At 400 you have only 10 more big pulls left to get it done - that is generally my approach on these sprints - count the strokes left and treat em as max effort weight lifting reps.

Anyways bro, nice work.

Cheers, kempie
Old 03-14-2006, 10:31 AM   #4
Sean Guerrant

Profile:

Uh-oh. Anthony, I didn't think that the pullups had to be in one set. So maybe this wasn't legit, after all. I thought it was just do the row and do the 20. On the challenges where it has to be one set (like the 30 x BW bench) it says "one set". Can we get a judge's call on this one?
Kempie, totally agree. You're dead on; I need more metcon. I tried to plan a little ahead of time by counting strokes. I figured I would need about 38/min to get close to 1:30 for 500m. Which only means about 57 strokes (probably more like 60 as I start with 2-4 short strokes to get the fan going quickly). In a few days (maybe on the rest day) I'm going to take a shot at the 1:26. My biggest problem was when I tried to "stomp" my feet, the C2 started bouncing around and my butt would slide off the seat a bit. I have no form, but I'm pulling like a bastard! Used a little over 5 for drag factor.
I also did this after the max effort on those cleans, so mentally I'm telling myself I'll have a lot more pull next time. We'll see.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:49 AM   #5
Brad Williams

Profile:

I missed the "one set" rule as well. If it stands I can't count mine either. My set of 20 was broken as well. One set of 20 strict pull ups after that row would be a killer.
Nice work Sean.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:50 AM   #6
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
Sean, Lauren confirmed this through email. Unfortunately! I was under 4 minutes with ease ... until I realized it had to be one set. :-(
Old 03-15-2006, 12:50 AM   #7
Sean Guerrant

Profile:

F*&^*!! Alright, I still think I can get this one. I'm capable of 20 dh. I think it will have to be finish the row quickly and then take about a 1.5 min rest and take a shot at it. Since you only get one chance, I think I'll give myself the max rest I can after rowing and then go for the pullups at about 3:20 or so. I'll go for this on the next rest day. Thanks for the info, Anthony.