CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-07-2007, 04:55 PM   #1
Rich Krauss

Profile:
http://www.realgainz.com/Fruitarian
Old 01-07-2007, 05:06 PM   #2
Mitchell Brown

Profile:
You can, but I wouldn't want to. Apart from the obvious impediments to fitness, consider how antisocial it would be.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:42 PM   #3
Hone Watson

Profile:
Well if this guy has lived off fruit for 12 years obviously you can.

The guy has low body fat and can rep out a hole lot of body weight exercises.

An all fruit diet seems pretty extreme but you'd have to say by this guys photo's and rep numbers he'd be in better shape than 99% of other people in the Western World.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:09 PM   #4
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Rich,

Rules for all you link-posters: (From the announcements section)

1. Include the subject of the link in the message text.
2. Indicate if it's not work safe/family friendly in the message title.
3. Provide a sentence or two that summarizes if the subject is not clearly explanatory.

Thanks,
Old 01-07-2007, 06:23 PM   #5
Rich Krauss

Profile:
sure Lynne, thanks for the reminder. I'm just not sure how he can get enough protein by eating just fruit. He seems very active. I agree with Mitchell, it would be very impractical in our society.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:20 PM   #6
Dan Ensing

Profile:
Allegedly Helio Gracie only eats fruits/ nuts/ veggies. His diet is more varied, but he's been doing it for years. At approx. 90 years old he still trains.

Dan
Old 01-07-2007, 09:50 PM   #7
Steve Liberati

Profile:
You could eat a fruit only diet I suppose, but why would you? Seems rather limiting in my opinion. Not to mention, catabolic in nature when following a fitness program like CrossFit.

Not really sure how this one would really jive with one's fitness goals. If poor or on a tight budget, this might not be such a bad idea. I dunno, pretty wierd if you ask me.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:13 PM   #8
Shawn Casey

Profile:
When I was obese and Didn't know a thing about fitness and diet, every once in a while someone would tell me to stop eating meat. My rebuttal was that I would say, show me a vegitarian that could kick my butt and I would stop eating meat. The reason I said this is because I saw a vegan protest against McDonalds and the vegans were all really skinny. I guess the rebutal to that would be Helio Gracie.....

I'm still eating meat.

Shawn
Old 01-08-2007, 12:16 AM   #9
Nikki Young

Profile:
It wasn't too long ago actually when i was talking to my Nana about nutrition and stuff. She told me a story about a guy she once knew who went on the 'fruit diet', i think he initially went on it to lose some BF, but kept with it for a couple of years. He looked terrible, skin wise and body mass wise (waisting away), he had little energy but refused to eat anything but fruit, even when everyone around him told him to eat something else and what he was doing was bad. Anyway, one day he went on a camping trip with a couple of kids from the school he worked at, during one of the nights on the camping trip it was quite cold and he ended up going into a shaking fit and not being able to respond.. One of the kids grabbed a chocolate bar from his bag and made him eat it when he regained some self-awarness, saved his life. He's not on the fruit diet anymore..

IMO there is NO logic to this diet. If you want to starve your body then it's good. The only good thing about eating lots of fruit is the antioxidant and nutrients you will gain. Keep in mind though you need fat to help absorb certain nutrients like vitmain A, E and K. But your body is nothing without enough protein and good fats. I don't know what fool thought humans would be able to survive soley on fruit, without suffering some intense health problems... Probably someone who wanted to think of a new diet craze to make some money..
Old 01-08-2007, 12:23 AM   #10
Jibreel Freeland

Profile:
I hate to formulate such a cookie cutter rebuttal to the above link posted by Rich but...I have to cast some doubt as to whether or not that guy is really a full blown frugivore. I just don't see anyone being anything but a mess after 12 years of only eating fruit. Of course, this could be just my diet dogma chiming in to say that one needs nutrients from animals...I don't know.

That said, I found the interview at least fascinating and thanks for posting it. I am always interested in niche subcultures that border on freakishness in some way...whoa...I guess that's why I like crossfit.com.