CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-23-2006, 08:24 AM   #1
Heather L. Gibbons

Profile:
This is from the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition but I haven't had a chance to give it a thorough read. And yes, it's for an older population so I'm not sure how many of you will care but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Magnesium and muscle performance in older persons: the InCHIANTI study1,2,3
Ligia J Dominguez, Mario Barbagallo, Fulvio Lauretani, Stefania Bandinelli, Angelo Bos, Anna Maria Corsi, Eleanor M Simonsick and Luigi Ferrucci
1 From the Geriatric Unit, Department of Internal Medicine and Geriatrics, University of Palermo, Palermo, Italy (LJD and MB); the Longitudinal Studies Section, Clinical Research Branch, National Institute on Aging, Baltimore, MD (LF, EMS, and AB); the Tuscany Health Regional Agency, Florence, Italy (FL and AMC); and the Geriatric Rehabilitation Unit, ASF-Florence, Italy (SB)

Background: The role of magnesium in maintaining muscle integrity and function in older adults is largely unknown.

Objective: We aimed to investigate the relation between serum magnesium concentrations and muscle performance in older subjects.

Design: Data are from the baseline examination conducted between September 1998 and March 2000 of the InCHIANTI (aging in the Chianti area) study, a prospective epidemiologic survey of risk factors for late-life disability. From among 1453 randomly selected community residents completing a home interview, 1138 men (46%) and women (aged 66.7 ± 15.2 y; ± SD) with complete data on muscle performance and serum magnesium who were not severely cognitively compromised and had no evidence of kidney disease or hypercalcemia were included in the analysis. Muscle performance was evaluated by grip strength, lower-leg muscle power, knee extension torque, and ankle extension isometric strength and was normalized for age and body mass index (BMI) within each sex.

Results: After adjustment for age, sex, BMI, laboratory variables, presence of chronic diseases, muscle area, muscle density, and physical activity level, serum magnesium concentrations were significantly associated with indexes of muscle performance, including grip strength (ß = 2.0 ± 0.5, P = 0.0002), lower-leg muscle power (ß = 8.8 ± 2.7, P = 0.001), knee extension torque (ß = 31.2 ± 7.9, P < 0.0001), and ankle extension strength (ß = 3.8 ± 0.5, P < 0.0001).

Conclusions: The serum magnesium concentration is an independent correlate of muscle performance in older persons. Whether magnesium supplementation improves muscle function remains to be shown.

Key Words: Magnesium • aging • sarcopenia • muscle performance • muscle strength
Old 10-23-2006, 09:01 AM   #2
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
I'd guess that 99.9% of the average person is walking around with both zinc and magnesium deficiency due to terrible diets and excessive acidic body PH. Zinc and magnesium do have a possitive affect on muscle contractions and regeneration.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:35 AM   #3
Yael Grauer

Profile:
Magnesium is like the wonder drug. Good for everything from reducing carb cravings to balancing energy levels to curing insomnia to helping with stress and muscle tension...really good for menstrual cramps, too. http://www.mgwater.com/conseq.shtml

There's also some info here, but I wouldn't recommend that brand at all.
http://www.vites.com/catalog/includes/languages/english/html_includes/classic/pd f/Natural-Calm-trifold.pdf
Old 10-23-2006, 11:54 AM   #4
Paul Symes

Profile:
I'm a believer. I feel so much healthier when I take extra magnesium. ZMA gets a lot of negative comments but for me, if I could only take one supplment that would be it.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:13 PM   #5
Yael Grauer

Profile:
One thing that has helped me is taking huge amounts in divided doses. I'm pretty deficient so I'm planning on doing that for a few more weeks before going down to a maintenance dose. I was pretty stunned at the results. Light and noise sensitivity vanished as well. I don't know if it'd be my only supplement because CLO is up there too, but it's a good one.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:39 AM   #6
Brian Reckdenwald

Profile:
Don't most multis contain magnesium, or is that just zinc? And how large of a daily dose are we talking about here?
Old 10-24-2006, 10:24 AM   #7
Yael Grauer

Profile:
Um, I decided to take a huge dose (like 1000-1500 mg) for a month or so and then taper down to a maintenance dose of 400-800... And actually 300-600 is actually plenty for most people. But I had a pretty hardcore magnesium deficiency that other people might not have. I know if you buy Natural Calm (which I don't recommend, as it's magnesium citrate and some people have pretty low bowel tolerance--magnesium glycinate or taurate are better choices) they recommend starting with 200mg and gradually going up to 615. So it's something you have to play with. You'll have to see how much you are getting from your particular multi as they really vary.
Old 10-24-2006, 02:13 PM   #8
Yael Grauer

Profile:
nice info sheet on magnesium: http://www.krispin.com/magnes.html

information on food sources of magnesium:
http://www.henriettesherbal.com/blog/?p=376

and for the ladies: http://www.henriettesherbal.com/blog/?p=389
Old 10-24-2006, 04:26 PM   #9
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Most all multis are useless...the Vit C is just enough not to get scurvy...like 30mg...I take 3000mg a day of Vit C. Don't overdue Zinc (max 40-50mg daily) otherwise you will get sick as it is tozic. Too much magnesium will give you bowel issues.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:34 PM   #10
Yael Grauer

Profile:
Too much magnesium citrate will give you bowel issues. Mg. glycinate and taurate are different. And it depends on the multi.