CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-08-2005, 02:40 PM   #1
Troy Archie

Profile:
In previous discussions it has been said that it's best that most of your carbs come from vegetables not fruits but what about fruits that aren’t associated with being fruits? I’m thinking about less-calorie dense fruits such as cucumbers, peppers and even tomatoes that are all often thought of as vegetables in the kitchen but are in fact fruits.

Edit: I was just reading that these types of foods are called "cucurbits".
Old 07-09-2005, 10:18 AM   #2
Carl Herzog

Profile:
A botanist would define "fruit" as any ripened, seed-bearing ovary of a flowering plant so, technically speaking, these any many other plant-based food products (most "nuts", for example) are fruits. It's the sugar content, though, that folks are warning against in the context you mention. By that more common definition, cucumbers, peppers and the like can be considered vegetables.
Old 07-09-2005, 04:45 PM   #3
Matthew Townsend

Profile:
Troy, I don't understand the premise of your question (and that of the motto of this website).

Why are vegetables preferred to fruit? I assumed that it was because fruit had a higher sugar content and you suggest here that veges have a higher carbohydrate component. Is there anything else?

Or is there anywhere else I can get this information?
Old 07-10-2005, 12:25 PM   #4
Troy Archie

Profile:
Yes, veggies are prefered over fruit because fruit has a higher sugar content and veggies have a higher fiber content. The only problem is that you have to eat a hell of a lot of veggies to equal the same amount of fruit so most people end up eating more fruit over veggies.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:20 PM   #5
Hone Watson

Profile:
The sugar content of fruit is irrelavent. The fact is fruit including a single ripe banana have very low glycemic loads which is a more important indicator than sugar levels or glycemic index.

The key is to eating fruit is eating it as a single portion without any other foods - ie you have an apple as a snack.

It would have ever be a mistake to eat five bits of fruit in one sitting.

Old 07-10-2005, 11:35 PM   #6
Matthew Townsend

Profile:
Troy, you say: "The only problem is that you have to eat a hell of a lot of veggies to equal the same amount of fruit so most people end up eating more fruit over veggies." Equal insofar as what is concerned?

Hone, no more fruit salad???
Old 07-11-2005, 06:59 AM   #7
Troy Archie

Profile:
Calorie content and zone block size.
Old 07-12-2005, 05:07 PM   #8
Woody Davis

Profile:

Hone, I agree that glycemic LOAD is the key. Why do recommend fruit by itself? I've read many books to this effect but they are usually vegatrian books like Fit for Life, etc. I had blueberries and a chicken leg for breakfast this morning and I don't seem to have the issues combining fruit that are supposed to be negative but I would be interested in your thoughts.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:29 PM   #9
Hone Watson

Profile:
Generally raw fruit only takes around 20 - 30 minutes to digest - which is a lot faster than other foods including raw vegetables.

What that means is when you eat fruit with other foods that take longer to digest, the fruit can ferment in your stomach as it gets stuck with the other food.

Some fruits like papaya may be an exception because it has a helpful digestive enzyme.

Another theory says that your pancreas secretes specific enzymes for specfic types of food. Different enzymes for proteins and different enzymes to digest fruit. Apparently your pancreas cannot secrete more than one enzyme at once which can also contribute to digestion problems.

So its best to eat fruit on an empty stomach and eat no other food until 30 minutes have passed.

I can't verify this with references.

Old 07-13-2005, 02:16 PM   #10
Woody Davis

Profile:

Hone, this is exactly what I have read. It all goes back to food combining, although people doing the Zone seem to be fine eating fruit with other things. I'm still not sure what the best way to go is although from a Paleo mindset, I could see where it might make sense not to combine them. Fruit and meat spiol, so I doubt HG would have had both at a meal.