CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 08-01-2012, 01:38 PM   #301
Chris Mason

Profile:
Re: Stop Anthos from Taking over CrossFit

So Jesse, be clear, what do YOU want to happen?
Old 08-01-2012, 01:47 PM   #302
Chris Mason

Profile:

The idea that Athos thinks CrossFit is leaving money on the table really irks me. It strikes me as grossly arrogant. Perhaps they should consider that in a few short years Mr. Glassman's model has built CF from virtually nothing to the worldwide phenomenon it is today. I guarantee you the model is profitable, but it also allows for exponential and sustainable growth. Perhaps what he is doing is the new model for success in the fitness industry? Short term profit optimization is not necessarily the way to long term success...

And therein lies the rub. Do YOU as CrossFitters want a company that evidently will be focused on short term profitably to control 50% of the company to which your long term livelihood and or health are tied?

Not me...
Old 08-01-2012, 01:52 PM   #303
Brian Mulvaney

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Scarnecchia View Post
How is this not either a breach of Greg Glassman's fiduciary duties or at the very least tortious interference?
Daniel, it's a great question, but I think you have the focus on the wrong place.

Watch these two videos, please:

http://journal.crossfit.com/2012/07/...down-part1.tpl

http://journal.crossfit.com/2012/07/...ews-part-2.tpl

Greg has a *moral* duty to protect and serve Affiliates. As do the rest of the executives and staff of CrossFit, Inc. It's a duty we cannot and will not shirk.

The Anthos Capital monetization plan for CrossFit is nothing less than a plan for tortious interference with four thousand independently owned small businesses. It is an egregious plan that we are not going to let come to fruition.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:55 PM   #304
Rob Poling Jr

Profile:

I think Lauren believing a venture capital company will allow things to operate as normal is just being naive. Their object is not putting out the best product or service but selling the most of that product or service, in this case one that they already own. While it would hurt Greg too deaffiliating would leave Anthos without a product to sell. I think to protect the company as it is Lauren would have to sell some shares to Greg to remove the 50/50 split and keep another shareholder from having any say on how the company is run.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:10 PM   #305
Jesse R james

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
So Jesse, be clear, what do YOU want to happen?
That's easy, I want the responsible parties in this transaction (Coach G as 50% equity holder, Lauren Glassman, and Anthos) to handle this in their own, legal realms.

IF there is something the community can do, then HQ needs to lay out a clear plan of action.

Right now they seme like they are riling everyone up in case things don't go their way so that the brand would lose value. And it's working.

Remember, HQ didn't ask the affiliates to calmly band together (or even do it separately) and submit a clear letter of what they wanted to Anthos. They called on the community to drum up as much fervor and outrage as possible with only HQ's side of the story. They were told to post about it on their affiliate sites, on social media, and "get the word out" without actually providing much word.

They didn't present all the facts they had (who the partner was, offer they made to the partner, why it was declined if they knew, and so on) and instead relied on pure scare tactics to get people ready to jump ship and drive down the brand value if things went south for them at HQ.

Almost all of their "Anthos is bad because" information is strictly based on he said, she said information and speculative finger pointing.

HQ pointed out that Bryan Kelly is speaking for another partner at Anthos that is a former Goldman-Sachs exec and how that MUST mean there's someting bad going on. Yet couldn't we also point the finger at HQ for having the Russ's address the community via a discussion board instead of Coach Glassman presenting an official statement on the site from the get-go?

Russel Berger has hinted that since Bryan Kelly's wife is an exec at LuLuLemon that its obvious they're up to no good and that LuLuLemon has been plotting to get a piece of the pie all along. Yet again, baseless speculation touted as clear motivations.

So what I WANT to happen is for HQ, Anthos, and Lauren to handle this between themselves and give the community true, factual, and verifiable infromation instead of speculation and fear.

Since that won't happen, I'd settle for them cutting out the scare tactics and stop using the community as a bargaining pawn.

And if you think you aren't being used (at least in part) to drive down the value potential of the company for Anthos, you're being at least a little naive.

I 100% believe Coach Glassman loves Crossfit and would do anything to keep it "his"....and that means burn it to the ground if it wasn't his anymore.

In the end, it isn't about what I want...its about what the affiliates want.

Do you want to be used as a pawn in a custody battle or do you want to stand back and wait for more information before jumping on a side?
Old 08-01-2012, 02:35 PM   #306
Paul Jasch

Profile:

Anthos can go start their own fracking CrossFit! I don't want them. If they were so great they would have been around years ago when this all started. My affiliate DOES NOT want them. If we wanted big business models etc we would open up a 24hr Fitness or something like that. Greg Glassman has my 100% support!
Old 08-01-2012, 03:06 PM   #307
Sevan Matossian

Profile:

Since late 2006, I have immersed myself into the CrossFit Community, where I have been surrounded by people who are constantly improving their own lives. There is no better a place to be, than with people who work on themeselves and with others to become better human beings.

I once heard Greg say, "If you do CrossFit, you will either get a raise at work, or quit your job; you will either have improvements in your personal relationships or you will get out of a bad one; your life will just get better!"

Greg's CrossFit recipe has a 100% success rate. I have not met a single CrossFitter who has not experienced profound personal transformation. The CrossFit methodology and the community it gave birth to is the Goose that lays the golden eggs and I want Greg and the community to nurture this Goose. Anthos wants to slash the Goose and remove incubating eggs to make a quick buck. Killing the Goose and putting an end to this priceless legacy is something that Greg will not allow at any price.

Time to WOD!
Old 08-01-2012, 03:51 PM   #308
Todd Lynch

Profile:

We affiliated in 2007. We Unfortunatley were in a bad business situation with an unscrupulous individual. Greg Glassman reached out to us IN PERSON to offer genuine assistance and support. We made it through that difficult situation and have not forgotten.

Greg Glassman and CrossFit has and will have the support of CrossFit BGI

"Train hard or stay home"
Old 08-01-2012, 05:32 PM   #309
Mark Stiegler

Profile:

Does nobody else see it as at all possible that the Anthos purchase is simply an opportunity to purchase a massive stake in an incredibly undervalued asset, which will continue to grow at a great rate without ANY input, allowing the possibility of a sale at what they consider to be a fair market value down the track, resulting in a massive capital gain?

If you were offered a 50% share of Microsoft in its infancy for $100, would you not have made masses of money by doing nothing to the business and allowing Bill Gates to run it as he saw fit, either in annual income, or in the sale of the asset at a later date?

As many others have said, way too much speculation and mirrors at this point to make any judgement calls on who is in the right in my opinion.

I am a new affiliate, would not being a "CrossFit" affiliate affect my business growth? Absolutely yes! Would my business fail? Hell NO! I am a good trainer and I believe in the CrossFit philosophy on training and life, I can bestow this upon my clients and friends with or without the CrossFit name above the door.
My preference is with, but if this deal turns sour for affiliate owners being forced to do what the do not wish to, I will without hesitation drop the CrossFit name immediately.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:54 PM   #310
Daniel Wheeler

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camille Lore View Post
I certainly want no part of a program that is profit driven versus driven by really and substantially changing peoples' lives. I stand with Coach Glassman and our affiliates!
Everything is profit driven.