CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-17-2011, 09:11 AM   #1
Ryan R Johnson

Profile:
for the frequency kids

Im at work for 24 hours. So today im doing 5 chinups and 5 ring dips, every hour on the hour, from 7 am until 10 pm.

im hoping to look like i just got out of San Quentin by the end of the day. Lol
Old 12-20-2011, 01:06 AM   #2
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Re: for the frequency kids

Interesting. Please tell us (or me) how each of the sets felt like 25%, half way through, 3/4 and at the end.

At home sometimes I do 5-10 sets, 1 every 10 minutes or so. By 5, I notice my reps start seeming slower and weaker but I also haven't been doing them @50% of my max reps as GTG would normally be done.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:47 AM   #3
Richard Macaulay

Profile:

This is kind of jail fitness meets Bulgarian training haha. Is this an extension/ur own interpretation of the gslp frequency method?

Will be interested to see how you feel, and how you feel it benifits/hinders you I'd you were to do it on a regular basis.

There was a bodybuilding method that had you performing multiple sets of 2 antagonistic exercises throughout the day. No idea if it worked or not.

Ricky
Old 12-20-2011, 11:27 AM   #4
Ryan R Johnson

Profile:

well it stemmed from me becoming interested in GSLP's principles. I actually just switched from 70s big to GSLP to try it out.

Im a Fireman and in my Engine bay, we have a wall mounted pullup bar. with 24 hours to work and it being a rest day on my program i figured id give it a go. my Whole crew got in on it. today, (3 days later were doing it again. this time only pullups because tomorrow is bench press day).

Blair, the first five hours were a breeze. my max pullups is 12-15 so 5 at a time is way submaximal. but what was interesting was around the 4th or 5th hour of doing them, slight soreness began to set in. obviously due to the hour breaks in between.

the last 3 hours were harder, but i finished all the reps without a pause. the next day i had GSLP Press and squats and it didnt seem to hinder my workout at all.

the real question is, is there any strength benefit to be gained at doing them so often, sub-maximally. i dont know, would i be better off doing 5 sets of 8

but by the end of the day, i had done 55 pullups and 55 dips without ever going near failure. and i never got an afternoon slump of tiredness. (it got me out of the recliner LOL)

Last edited by Ryan R Johnson : 12-20-2011 at 11:28 AM. Reason: mistake
Old 12-20-2011, 12:32 PM   #5
Richard Macaulay

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan R Johnson View Post
well it stemmed from me becoming interested in GSLP's principles. I actually just switched from 70s big to GSLP to try it out.

Im a Fireman and in my Engine bay, we have a wall mounted pullup bar. with 24 hours to work and it being a rest day on my program i figured id give it a go. my Whole crew got in on it. today, (3 days later were doing it again. this time only pullups because tomorrow is bench press day).

Blair, the first five hours were a breeze. my max pullups is 12-15 so 5 at a time is way submaximal. but what was interesting was around the 4th or 5th hour of doing them, slight soreness began to set in. obviously due to the hour breaks in between.

the last 3 hours were harder, but i finished all the reps without a pause. the next day i had GSLP Press and squats and it didnt seem to hinder my workout at all.

the real question is, is there any strength benefit to be gained at doing them so often, sub-maximally. i dont know, would i be better off doing 5 sets of 8

but by the end of the day, i had done 55 pullups and 55 dips without ever going near failure. and i never got an afternoon slump of tiredness. (it got me out of the recliner LOL)
I suppose you could argue you had that exercise endorphin rush steadily flowing (although not as strong as after a big session) throughout the day. Do you intend to add reps ala gslp FM method?

Interesting to see how it affects press/bench/rows etc after a few weeks. Also if it is an effective hypertrophy tool (though having to do it on/off all day might prevent it from catching on haha).

Ricky
Old 12-20-2011, 01:14 PM   #6
Jeffrey Metzler

Profile:

While on GSLP (~20 weeks), I found that frequency pushups throughout the day seemed to help my bench and press a lot. Wasn't able to make chins happen at the office I was working in, but pushups were easy to pull off.

Sets were at 50% of my 'shup max, and I added sets before adding reps (as JP recommends). Monday through Saturday, sets spread our from morning to night, rest Sundays. My bench and press on M/W/F would seem to creep up more quickly while fully in FM. Only hangup was a little elbow tendinitis that I would develop as the volume got up there.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:45 PM   #7
Daniel Wheeler

Profile:

Read some of pavels articles on GTG as well as nate morrisons milfit stuff.

When I was wanting to max my PFT I would do pullups and pushups on the minute or hour at percentages well below my max.

Like a 3rd of my max pushups to pause on the minute for 30 min.

40 on the hour for 10 hours. Whatever.

It got me to well over 100 pushups in 2min and 27 deadhang pullups. The maxes were 85 and 16. So it did the job. I find that cals come and go quickly.

I wonder if you could take a your 3rm bench and do 1 rep on the minute for 30 min. Ha

Anyway. Yes GTG works in my experience. Keep at it.
Old 12-23-2011, 04:07 AM   #8
Ryan R Johnson

Profile:

haha. maybe if you have a bench in your office. the boss may question that one.

I could always push a prowler to work