CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-18-2011, 10:16 PM   #1
Jimmy Nelson

Profile:
Really Confused need advice or help!

Ok, here I go

1.) Just finished my 55th session. I started at 5'6 265 good all systems good through my yearly physical

2.) Im currently at 5'6 276! Not bad cause my numbers have been good, ie..we did 2x2x2x2x2 on Back Squat and i stopped at 365 but didnt fail.

3.) Shirts size is now between 2XL and 3XL, but my waist size went up also..

4.) No paleo Diet, whole grains for breakfast (just recently started with eggs and some meat for breakfast) meal replacments and fortified and post workout Whey from SFH.

5.) I crossfit 3 days a week, feel great like the fact im getting lean and I can feel and see it. Im a high school S&C Coach and Football Coach but working this whole crossfit thing is new and fun

6.) The coaches tell me its my diet and I need to go Paleo so I can trim the waist line, my schedule and wallet cant really support such a change at this moment.

Sorry for numbering it out, but any suggestions would be cool
Old 11-18-2011, 10:31 PM   #2
Rob Samuels

Profile:  
Re: Really Confused need advice or help!

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking here, If the advice was good or if there are other alternatives?
Old 11-19-2011, 05:59 AM   #3
Jimmy Nelson

Profile:

Rob, Ive being told that my "waist size" increase is because of my diet. Of course when people meet me they are shocked to hear I tip the scales at 276, they say I need to eliminate carbs and whole grains and go mainly Paleo etc. Are they right? or are there other options?
Old 11-19-2011, 08:18 AM   #4
Luke Seubert

Profile:

Jimmy, have you considered getting an accurate measurement of your Body Fat Composition? By accurate, I mean a DXA scan, hydrostatic immersion, or a Bod Pod. I don't think the less accurate methods such as bio-electrical impedance or calipers would work well with your body type.

Once you figure out what your BFC is, you can determine a suitable goal. For men, 9% to 12% BFC is lean, while 13% to 18% is moderately lean. These numbers vary for different individuals, ethnic groups, and age groups.

From your post, I get the impression that you have high bone density and a lot of muscle mass packed onto smallish frame, and that you are carrying a fair amount of fat. However, it also sounds like you have added some muscle as well.

In other words, you might have an atypical body type, one in which conventional waist measurements don't mean a whole lot. This would be especially true if you have thick, strong muscles in your torso. How would you describe your body shape?

This is why I recommended an accurate BFC assessment. Find out how much of your bodyweight is bone, muscle, and soft body tissue; and find out how much of it is fat. Once you have some hard numbers to work with, set a goal for body fat and work your way towards it.

Speaking for myself, I have found a weigh & measure, low-carb Paleo diet to be quite good for fat loss. That said, as I have increased the intensity of my workouts, I have loaded up on carbs in my pre and post workout meals.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:59 AM   #5
Rob Samuels

Profile:  

If you are trying to lose BF then just consume less calories you dont have to go cut out entire food groups using "Paleo", that advice comes from people who have drank a bit too much cool-aid. Of course cutting out entire food groups will work also but it may make you feel like crap, perform worse, recover slower and die early.

Some peopole like it some people don't, only you will know by trying it but if you are not totaly buying into it in the first place, reducing your consumption overall and cleaning up your food choices may be just fine.

Based soley on your height/weight listed I would assume you are carrying around more excess baggage than you need to but thats obviously up to you if you are healthy and happy then dont change a thing.

If you have been doing a lot of heavy lifting then there is a good chance your trunk may have thickened up bit as well, as was stated go get your BF checked and figure out how much food you need to be eating.
Old 11-19-2011, 03:46 PM   #6
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

It sounds like you need to eat less of what you're currently eating. Rob is also correct in saying you don't have to do Paleo to lose weight.
Old 11-19-2011, 03:52 PM   #7
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

You definitely don't need to go paleo to lose the weight, just lower your calories. If you ate paleo you would probably lose the weight because you would be reducing your calories but it isn't necessary to do.
Old 11-20-2011, 03:31 PM   #8
Jimmy Nelson

Profile:

Rob, the genetics of my family is legs/calfs gt big and strong fast really quick. Im 38 and have been active but nothing like with crossfit. On heavy days I try and go as heavy as I can and push he limits, so alot of my numbers are way up. When we do WOD's I go really light to keep from getting injured. Crrying some but really not a great deal of extra uneeded baggage.

Im trying to really eliminate the waist line pooch, like i mentioned my recovery time has shortened and ive been feeling really good alot more enrgy and most of all lots of lean muscle, need bigger shirts.

Its just been really weird to be doing so muc and cutting back on calories and gain soo much weight Just weird to feel this good and be this heavy thats all. Thanks for the advice guys!
Old 11-20-2011, 04:51 PM   #9
Scott Walters

Profile:

Not wanting to de-rail the post, but do you think people on paleo will die earlier Rob? Why? (and no I am not being a smarty pants, I am actually interested in your opinion on this).

To the OP, if you are happy and feel/perform well, in my opinion, its all good. Personally I am trying like crazy to lean out, and not having the most of luck with it!
Old 11-21-2011, 04:59 AM   #10
Luke Seubert

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Nelson View Post
Im trying to really eliminate the waist line pooch, like i mentioned my recovery time has shortened and ive been feeling really good alot more enrgy and most of all lots of lean muscle, need bigger shirts.
Jimmy, a regular reader of my Workout Log asked me to do some research into the issue of belly fat and how to get rid of it. I posted the following article, which I hope you find likewise helpful: Informative Articles About Belly Fat (WFS).