CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-03-2011, 11:41 AM   #11
Anthony Adams

Profile:
Re: Organic pasture fed milk

"Unpasteurized milk carries many health risks due to pathogen-carrying cows, such as e. coli, salmonella, listeria, etc"

Oh dear-- someones been duped by the mainstream propaganda and or resulting internet articles.

"pathogen-carrying cows",<-- lol such as e. coli, salmonella, listeria <--- i'de love to see proof of this regarding any healthy cow

Raw milk is 1 thing i wouldn't be cutting out of my diet along with raw honey. Only thing i would say is, don't drink loads of the stuff as drinking lots of milk = drinking a little too much saturated fat.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:34 PM   #12
Colin McLafferty

Profile:

My reason for doing raw milk is that the pasteurized and ultra-pasteurized versions have oxidized cholesterol due to the heating of the milk. Factory milk, from everything I've read, is really terrible for the heart. That's the reason I spend the extra dough on raw.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:16 PM   #13
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

I like to buy it from the local's near us.

You can find some amazing yogurt, raw milk, cheeses, etc if you can find / live near you.

http://www.jerseygirlsmilk.com/ (WFS) is the place near my old house. Being an 1.25 hours away now means not as easy access

Last edited by Shawn M Wilson : 11-03-2011 at 01:17 PM. Reason: had to aadd WFS
Old 11-03-2011, 01:32 PM   #14
Summer Evert

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Adams View Post
"Unpasteurized milk carries many health risks due to pathogen-carrying cows, such as e. coli, salmonella, listeria, etc"

Oh dear-- someones been duped by the mainstream propaganda and or resulting internet articles.

"pathogen-carrying cows",<-- lol such as e. coli, salmonella, listeria <--- i'de love to see proof of this regarding any healthy cow
Actually, Anthony, I'm a toxicologist and I don't consider myself easily duped by mainstream propaganda and internet articles. My original point was to bring to light the facts that contribute to the reasoning behind tight raw milk regulations, but since you asked for proof of pathogens, I thought I'd give you a little info from what I've found on the subject.

NOTE: All links in my post below are WFS

If you've ever looked up the incidences of people becoming infected with e.coli and other raw milk pathogens, you'll find plenty of cases, some of which I linked below:

http://www.cdc.gov/healthypets/chees..._spotlight.htm
http://www.cdph.ca.gov/HealthInfo/di...s/RawMilk.aspx

Now, regarding specifically a grass-fed vs feedlot cow:
There is no "healthy cow" if you're trying to define it as "pathogen-free" since they ALL intrinsically carry and excrete pathogens (most notably e. coli) to humans, whether feedlot or grass-fed. I found a nice little unbiased article that examines some of the more recent research on grass vs grain-fed cattle:

http://www.slate.com/articles/health...ed_beef.2.html

and a little blurb from raw milk advocates themselves on the matter:

http://www.realrawmilkfacts.com/raw-...-grain-feeding

Even wild animals (which obviously haven't ever stepped foot inside a feedlot) excrete pathogens that make humans sick. Many if not most of the e. coli outbreaks from produce were introduced from wild, non-grain fed animals like deer and pigs. The most recent case is the Oregon strawberry outbreak from deer poop (Aug 2011):

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44204554...coli-outbreak/

More on animals causing food outbreaks:
http://foodsafety.ksu.edu/en/article...0&sc=74&id=268

Look, I'm not saying don't drink raw milk. In fact, I hear it has some amazing health benefits, and many people swear by it. It's your body, your immune system, and maybe you're more immune to pathogens than I am, or perhaps I'm just unlucky since I've been infected by e. coli more than once (as confirmed by my doctors). But just because the grass-fed cow is near and dear to our paleo hearts doesn't give it a risk-free stamp of approval. You may be reducing the risk from grass-fed cattle ("MAY" being the key word here), but you're not eliminating it. Personally, I'm not taking chances. More raw milk for you, I guess!

Last edited by Summer Evert : 11-03-2011 at 01:58 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:49 PM   #15
Anthony Adams

Profile:

I don't want to get into arguments here but the facts are. You stated you're a toxacologist yet that has next to zero relevance as your profession has not come into what you posted 1 bit whatsoever. I.e you're not posting your own evidence that has been drawn from use of your own skills, you have used simple detective work and made conclusions after reading PROPAGANDA

You say you're not easily duped yet ALL of the links you posted are either from government websites i.e PROPAGANDA or mainstream media websites or mainstream media infulenced articles Also PROPAGANDA. All You have done by posting those articles is prove what i said in my previous post.

Edit "since they ALL intrinsically carry and excrete pathogens" <-- this was why i lol'ed obviously all animals that digest carry pathogens, but it doesn't get to the milk.

Edit 1 of your articles is a dead link a couple of them aren't talking about raw milk. And 100% of them are un-reliable at best and obviously propaganda from totally untrusted sources at worst.

Again, not trying to get personal with you hear just calling it how i see it.

Can you imagine how many people drink raw milk ? i'll tell you.. it's more than enough that if they were drinking e-coli there would be mile long cues outside lots of major hospitals. Common sense should tell anyone that it's all propaganda.

Edit you can even go on pubmed and search something like raw milk e coli and you get nothing of note. You might see soemthing like "small -carefully selected-farm in zimbabwe" dardy dardy dar.

Or you'll see some daft study using a petri dish and inserting e coli to see if they replicate. Find me anything solid and i'll record 20 burpees and say sorry at the end

Last edited by Anthony Adams : 11-03-2011 at 02:14 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:30 PM   #16
Martha Lamb

Profile:

I'll have to say, I agree with Anthony. I read several of your links, and they are obviously propaganda.
People drank raw milk for many years before it was ever pasteurized. The cow in the yard was a standard for US families for a long time.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:30 AM   #17
Meghan Reid

Profile:

I still don't understand why some people / the government are sO against purchasing raw milk but have no problem with the general public purchasing raw turkey, which has been linked to many many more outbreaks of food related illnesses. I'm honestly curious. If raw food poses health hazards, label it and move on...just like meat is labeled (and eggs for that matter).
Old 11-21-2011, 11:24 AM   #18
Joe Morden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghan Reid View Post
I still don't understand why some people / the government are sO against purchasing raw milk but have no problem with the general public purchasing raw turkey, which has been linked to many many more outbreaks of food related illnesses. I'm honestly curious. If raw food poses health hazards, label it and move on...just like meat is labeled (and eggs for that matter).
<Insert> Agri-lobbyists.

To highlight your point even further, RAW dairy is bad, but look what you can buy: Tobacco, Big Pharma, Fast food, Alcohol..... the list goes on and on. And I'm not saying one shouldn't be able to enjoy any of the above, frankly I don't want a a governing body telling me what I can and can't do with my body.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:48 PM   #19
Nick Karrasch

Profile:

Back to the original post, Jon: I'm from Brisbane and will be back there over Christmas. Where did you buy your raw milk from? I would like to try it.