CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-28-2011, 01:31 AM   #1
Jon Gregory

Profile:
Organic pasture fed milk

Its the best thing ever!!!! Holy moly, I got some for the first time today. Its expensive but it is sooooo worth every penny! Its unbelievable how much better it is than that homogenised rubbish! I am officially converted!!

Anyway, nothing more than that, I just felt I needed to share with someone who would at least understand my excitement!
Old 10-28-2011, 01:47 AM   #2
Dave Traeger

Profile:
Re: Organic pasture fed milk

Whered you get it, local markets?

For those of us on a couple of litres a day it's generally a dealbreaker
Old 10-28-2011, 11:53 PM   #3
Jon Gregory

Profile:

Got it from a local gourmet market. I can't get enough of the stuff! I'm gonna buy up all they have tomorrow!!!
Old 10-28-2011, 11:57 PM   #4
Dave Traeger

Profile:

haha how much is it per litre?
Old 10-29-2011, 02:18 AM   #5
Dave Traeger

Profile:

Another question for Jon (or anyone really). I found an online distributor of organic beef/veges and they also do organic raw milk (Unpasterised and non-homogenised milk) but they have a disclaimer saying it's not suitable for drinking. Is this just legal safety or is there some reason they say that?

It's 4.50 a litre, minimum of 10 litre order.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:06 AM   #6
Jon Gregory

Profile:

Mate, the stuff I got is 5.90 for 2L. I think the disclaimer is because it is unpasteurised which is strictly controlled in Australia. It was only quite recently that unpasteurised cheese was allowed into the country! Personally, I wouldn't drink unpasteurised milk unless I knew EXACTLY where it was coming from! I think as long as its organic and unhomogenised it will be high quality
Old 10-30-2011, 04:21 AM   #7
Dave Traeger

Profile:

I looked it up - raw milk is illegal in australia. These guys have the disclaimers to say that it's for bathing / cosmetic use so that people don't drink it then tell them off if something happens to them.

I've yet to see anyone in Perth selling just the organic / unhomogenised stuff.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:40 AM   #8
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

yes, fresh raw milk tastes much better. try using it for things other than drinking straight, like cooking and it's even better. yum.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:50 PM   #9
Jon Gregory

Profile:

Try these places:

Sunny Wholefoods shop 8/74 South Tce Fremantle (Freo Markets)
Organic milk/ goat milk/ goat yogurt/butter/Paris creek/ kaoka organic chocolates/ tofu/tempeh/ brown rice/jasmin rice/ basmati/ white/ chick peas/ flours/juices/ dried fruits/ nuts/ eggs and many non organic lines of what we can't get organic. Open Fri/ Sat/ Sun and Mon pub holidays Ph 08 9335 8355

Mannas Wholefoods in Fremantle, (milk, meat, veg, grocery, personal).

Absolutely Organic, (dairy, meat, veg, grocery, personal and baby) in Gwelup.

Mrs Organics at Fremantle Markets sell organic meat and chicken.

Organic on Charles: Shop 7, 299 Charles Street, North Perth WA 6006. Organic fruit & veg, milk, bread, nuts, seeds, groceries, dairy, meat, baby food, grains, herbs. All the food is certified organic and there is also a naturopeth on staff to answer any specific health queries. organiconcharles@ bigpond.com
Old 11-01-2011, 02:27 PM   #10
Summer Evert

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Traeger View Post
Another question for Jon (or anyone really). I found an online distributor of organic beef/veges and they also do organic raw milk (Unpasterised and non-homogenised milk) but they have a disclaimer saying it's not suitable for drinking. Is this just legal safety or is there some reason they say that?

It's 4.50 a litre, minimum of 10 litre order.
Unpasteurized milk carries many health risks due to pathogen-carrying cows, such as e. coli, salmonella, listeria, etc. Because of this, many countries and some US states make it illegal to purchase for human consumption (AUS/NZ in particular is quite strict in their food regulations). However, you can usually buy it for other uses, such as cosmetic purposes or animal consumption, but in order to do this the sellers/farmers must label their milk as such and warn that it is NOT for consumption, though they know perfectly well what their consumer is actually buying it for in most cases (as in, "you're not going to DRINK this stuff, right? RIGHT? *wink wink* OK then, here's your bath milk...").

Having had e. coli poisoning twice (maybe three times) in my life, I'm steering way clear of the stuff. I'm sure it tastes amazing, but not worth it.