CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-29-2011, 12:44 PM   #1
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:
Food / Nutrition Movies?

some have been mentioned on here lately... was thinking of getting a list of movies / documentary on food, eating, nutrition, etc so that those of us interested might be able to find out about some we haven't seen... and also possibly discuss what we thought about them, the good, the bad, whatever.

ones i know of are:

food, inc

king corn

food matters

the state of food

fat, sick, almost dead

supersize me

forks over knives

i know there must be some i have forgotten, not heard of, etc...
Old 09-29-2011, 12:57 PM   #2
Todd R Bailey

Profile:
Re: Food / Nutrition Movies?

Fathead

Available for free on Hulu: http://www.hulu.com/watch/196879/fat-head (wfs)
Old 09-29-2011, 12:59 PM   #3
Ash Smith

Profile:

From the other thread, I enjoyed "Fat Head" -- it's an unofficial rebuttal to the flaws in Super Size Me. He basically proves that you can lose weight and lower your cholesterol while eating almost solely at McDonald's--you just have to watch your calories and carbs. In other words, he pokes giant holes in the vilification of McDonald's while emphasizing personal responsibility. It's big on the lipid hypothesis and the flaws behind it, so it's very much in line with a lot of the ideas I've seen popularized via Crossfit (eg Paleo)

It also gets into some of the political issues of trying to regulate what we eat at the governmental level, so it's got a very neutral/libertarian bent to it. Somewhat humorous, although the filmmaker comes off as a bit dorky and annoying.

(EDIT: I now realize that I shouldn't have typed so much. Thanks, Todd!)
Old 09-29-2011, 02:17 PM   #4
Mark Davis

Profile:

I just watched an interesting one the other day titled "Cancer is Curable." It mainly deals with cancer prevention and treatment, but is highly associated with diet.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:37 AM   #5
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Chow Down. (wfs)
Old 10-11-2011, 03:28 AM   #6
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Planeat. (wfs)
Old 10-12-2011, 06:31 AM   #7
Alicia Michel

Profile:

An older one is The Future of Food (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0427276/ WFS)
Old 10-12-2011, 07:17 AM   #8
Ash Smith

Profile:

Anyone seen "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead?" Netflix has it on streaming and the story sounds interesting, even if a juicing-only diet is a little too esoteric for the average person. I've got it in my queue, but didn't know if anyone else had heard of it.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/fat_...rly_dead_2011/ (WFS)

Overweight Australian filmmaker Joe Cross attempts to wrestle back control of his failing health during a cross-country trek in which he engages everyday Americans in discussions about food and obesity in this lighthearted documentary addressing a deadly serious subject. Clocking in at 310 pounds and pumped full of steroids to battle a debilitating autoimmune disorder, Cross realized that he would soon be dead if he didn't make some major lifestyle changes. But pharmaceuticals were only treating his symptoms, and no doctor seemed capable of providing the long-term care and support it would take to turn his life around. Desperate, Cross loads up his car with a juicer and a generator, and pledges to survive on nothing but fresh fruit and vegetable juice for 60 days. Not long after his journey begins, Cross quickly realizes that he's well on his way to ending his growing dependence on prescription drugs. His body has begun to heal itself, and as the process continues, Cross attempts to prove just how empowering it can be to take responsibility for our own health.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:55 AM   #9
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

The End of the Line. (wfs)
Old 10-12-2011, 11:59 AM   #10
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Smith View Post
Anyone seen "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead?" Netflix has it on streaming and the story sounds interesting, even if a juicing-only diet is a little too esoteric for the average person. I've got it in my queue, but didn't know if anyone else had heard of it.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/fat_...rly_dead_2011/ (WFS)

Overweight Australian filmmaker Joe Cross attempts to wrestle back control of his failing health during a cross-country trek in which he engages everyday Americans in discussions about food and obesity in this lighthearted documentary addressing a deadly serious subject. Clocking in at 310 pounds and pumped full of steroids to battle a debilitating autoimmune disorder, Cross realized that he would soon be dead if he didn't make some major lifestyle changes. But pharmaceuticals were only treating his symptoms, and no doctor seemed capable of providing the long-term care and support it would take to turn his life around. Desperate, Cross loads up his car with a juicer and a generator, and pledges to survive on nothing but fresh fruit and vegetable juice for 60 days. Not long after his journey begins, Cross quickly realizes that he's well on his way to ending his growing dependence on prescription drugs. His body has begun to heal itself, and as the process continues, Cross attempts to prove just how empowering it can be to take responsibility for our own health.
It is a great movie, not something I would personally do but it is very inspirational and definitely worth the time to watch it.