CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-10-2011, 01:09 PM   #11
Rebecca Roth

Profile:
Re: almond meal/ Coconut meal?

From the Whole30 guidelines:

Quote:
Most importantly… do not try to shove your old, unhealthy diet into a shiny new Whole30 mold. This means no “Paleo-fying” less-than-healthy recipes – no Paleo pancakes, Paleo pizza, Paleo fudge or Paleo”ice cream. Don’t mimic poor food choices during your Whole30 program! Those kinds of food miss the point of the program entirely.
I agree entirely with thier view, while you may technically be making your baked good out of paleo foods, youre missing the goal of eating primarily unaltered whole foods by turning them into the goodie that you want to align with the crap you were eating before. Replace, don't replicate your old diet, but realize that you can certainly get enjoyment out of the occasional treat - which should be made in whatever way is most satisfying to you.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:32 PM   #12
David Fletcher

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth View Post
which should be made in whatever way is most satisfying to you.
That's the part I disagree with. I've had almond flour muffins, cookies, scones, etc that are plenty good to fix whatever craving I had, with the added bonus of no gluten. I think it's a far better option to minimize your poor food choices every chance you get, even with your cheat meals.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:53 PM   #13
Coy Bethel

Profile:

I think things like muffins and pancakes are fine if you're using a decent almond or coconut meal (minimally processed and few ingredients). I use a lot of recipes from Fragoso's book.

I make the pancakes regularly. Almond / coconut flour, coconut milk, coconut oil, cinnamon, extra eggs (extra protein) and fruit. I eat them with almond butter. Seems pretty clean to me? It is not a replacement food, and definitely not a cheat. I make extra and have them as a quick breakfast or other meal.

I would not be able to stick to Paleo if all I ate was meat and veggies for every meal. Even the Whole 9 people admit it isn't realistic to eat like the Whole 30 all the time. I also bread chicken in almond / coconut meal and think that is fine and tastes great. Is that Paleofying a food?

For me there is a difference between these things and Paleo pizza, cookies and brownies. Those are replacement foods to me.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:25 PM   #14
Jon Wolfsthal

Profile:

I have been very strick paleo for about 3 months and love it. I feel full and don't miss most of the things i used to eat, with a few exceptions.

I have tried a few "replacement/substitute" items like coconut flour pancakes, almond flour cookies. i find them to be worse than nothing. I'd rather have a bowl of fruit and almond mink, with some nuts then go through the trouble of trying to simulate what I used to eat but can't have.

I don't consider them cheats, I just think of them as things I don't need and given how far i have come, don't want. Those foods were bad for me, making me fat, keeping me from my goals and why woud I want them?

For those very rare times when I do need/want a cheat - I just eat a cookie or have a small ice cream and then back on the wagon I go. Would you rather eat one really good cookie or a bag full of really crappy ones?
Old 11-21-2011, 11:57 AM   #15
Ben Joven

Profile:

Almond flour is great stuff! Great for cooking and an excellent substitute for any grain based flour.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:13 PM   #16
Brian Michaelson

Profile:

My Take On Nutrition: Paleo Brownies Are Dumb.(Definitely not work or family safe)

Very funny article and some of his points are some what valid in my opinion.

Last edited by Brian Michaelson : 11-21-2011 at 09:14 PM. Reason: link