CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 07-11-2011, 10:01 PM   #1
Bill Gibson

Profile:
dull left shoulder pain

I have been CFing since july 2010. I am a 5'10'' male around 195# last time I checked at (i would guess) between 10-15% body fat. I started learning butter fly pull ups around january/february, and have always mixed in strict, chest to bar, L and butterfly pull ups into my workouts. I never had any shoulder problems with high rep butterfly pulls before (100's regional WOD, filthy 50 etc. etc). About 6 weeks ago, I sliced my right palm open cutting some water melon and took about 3 weeks off from all work outs. Getting back into it around the 4th week, I started working in regular pull ups, dips, and muscle up progressions again, just to get my hand back into the swing of things. Then, two days ago, I decided to attempt the 5/31/11 WOD of 50 PU-10 burpees-40 PU-20 burpees-30 PU-30 burpees-20 PU-40 burpees-10 PU-50 burpees, doing butterfly pull ups. This was the first time in about 4-5 weeks that I had attempted high rep butterfly pulls and started to notice after the first set of 50 that I was getting a little pain in my left shoulder. I got to the set of 30 pull ups, but the set of 30 burpees is what really did me in, and I stopped. I didn't want to fight through this type of pain. Pressing my body up and down from the ground gave me kind of a searing pain. At first I was really worried that I had gotten a SLAP tear, as I had not done high rep butterfly pull ups for a good month and my body was not adapted for it yet. But I have no range of motion problems with left shoulder, as in there is no searing pain or loss of strength when I move my left hand above my head. I can scratch my back fine with a little dull pain. Today, I decided to test out my shoulder again and did some strict pull ups, chest to bar, HSPU, and L-pull ups. I stopped again after about 20 min when my shoulder started to throb. My diet is pretty good (about 80% paleo) and I take plenty of fish oil. Should I be worried? As of writing this, I have a dull pain in my left shoulder that isn't searing or anything. I am a little reluctant to cease all sorts of upper body activity, mostly because I like working out, but I guess that is the best option now? Any advice would be appreciated!
Old 07-12-2011, 05:08 AM   #2
Michael Bailey

Profile:
Re: dull left shoulder pain

Having had a RC tear, I would say you might have strained it. I had significant loss of strength in my shoulder when I tore mine, although I tore it pretty good. Rest it for at least a couple weeks. Ice the crap out of it....train around it. Good luck. Remember surgery is no fun...so rest.....
Old 07-12-2011, 06:06 AM   #3
Brent Sallee

Profile:

Where on your shoulder do you feel the pain? On the front? Back? Outside? Inside? It could be a ton of things - some easy to fix, some not, but you definitely gotta give a bit more info on the location first
Old 07-12-2011, 11:09 AM   #4
Bill Gibson

Profile:

As far as I can tell, there is a little twang in the front right portion of my shoulder, and it is inside the shoulder. I have had no trouble sleeping at night as well.

Last edited by Bill Gibson : 07-12-2011 at 11:27 AM.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:04 PM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

General post form... ignore the ones (or elaborate more) if you have already answered

If you want a real diagnosis, see an orthopedic doc.

If you want a guess by myself, we can do that..

1. Google a pic and mark where it hurts.

2. What exercises hurt? Which shoulder articulations hurt? wfs
http://www.exrx.net/Articulations/Shoulder.html

3. What type of pain is it? Burning? Ache? Tingling? Sharp?

4. Acute or chronic? What date was onset?

5. Any previous injury history?

6. How's your posture?

7. What is your current workout routine for that bodypart? Do you play any sports?

8. Have you been training through pain? If so, how long?

9. Check the tissue quality of the surrounding muscles. Which ones are tight? Which ones are tender? Is there any swelling?

10. What have you been doing for recovery purposes?

11. Any other information I should be aware of or that comes to mind that may help?
Old 07-12-2011, 11:57 PM   #6
Bill Gibson

Profile:

1. Google a pic and mark where it hurts.

With the picture attached, there is a little pain/discomfort right about at the supraspinatus area in my left shoulder

2. What exercises hurt? Which shoulder articulations hurt? wfs
http://www.exrx.net/Articulations/Shoulder.html

As far as I can tell, none of those movements really hurt. There is a little bit of discomfort, but I just tried those movements without any weight so take it for what it is

3. What type of pain is it? Burning? Ache? Tingling? Sharp?

The pain has become kind of an ache now. When I was doing high rep burpees, it was a sharp pain, but now I could classify it as closer to an ache

4. Acute or chronic? What date was onset?

The injury is acute. The date of the onset was 7/10/11 around 8 p.m. EST doing high rep burpees and butterfly pull ups

5. Any previous injury history?

No previous shoulder injury history, although I have had shin splints/compartment syndrome as a regular runner

6. How's your posture?

I have been spending most of my days the past 3 weeks sitting or lying down, looking at a computer, so I would rate it as below average/poor

7. What is your current workout routine for that bodypart? Do you play any sports?

Workouts for my shoulders include HSPU, military press, push press, push jerk, strict pull ups, butterfly pull ups, chest-to-bar pull ups, L-pull ups, bench press, deadlift, squat, dips, ring dips, muscle up progressions

8. Have you been training through pain? If so, how long?

I wouldn't say I have been training through the pain, more like I have been doing couple reps of push ups, pull ups, and HSPU until I start to experience pain. Since 7/10/11 I have done upper body pulling and pushing until I felt discomfort, but never "through" the discomfort I believe

9. Check the tissue quality of the surrounding muscles. Which ones are tight? Which ones are tender? Is there any swelling?

To my eyes I don't seem to notice any swelling or tightness and nothing seems too tender

10. What have you been doing for recovery purposes?

Since 7/10/11 I have been taking between 14 grams and 22 grams of fish oil per day, doing 1-3 reps of push ups, HSPU, pull up and a muscle up progression from my knees

11. Any other information I should be aware of or that comes to mind that may help?

The date of the WOD was the first time I had done high rep butterfly pull ups and burpees in about 5 or 6 weeks because I had sliced my right hand open cutting some water melon and subsequently took off

I feel like I am getting better by the day, but I could be wrong. I feel like the high doses of fish oil is relieving some of the pain. As SLAP tears are a common injury among CFer's, I am being pretty cautious about this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shoulder_muscle_group.jpg
Views:	2194
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	8065  

Last edited by Bill Gibson : 07-13-2011 at 12:01 AM.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:04 AM   #7
Bill Gibson

Profile:

oops, wrong picture, that is the back of the shoulder. here is a picture of the front of the shoulder. The pain seems to be stemming from the bursa/coracoacromial ligament/coracoid process area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SHOULDER1.jpg
Views:	5852
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	8066  
Old 07-13-2011, 08:08 AM   #8
Steven Low

Profile:

Hmm, based on when it occurred and what happened it sounds like it's possibly a rotator cuff strain (thinking maybe supraspinatus or infraspinatus) but it could also be some bursitis or impingement (maybe two or all of them).

Might not be a bad idea to hit up a physical therapist so you can get a more concrete diagnosis.

There are specific tests to check some specific things but if you don't know your anatomy you might not be able to execute them correctly yourself (plus I don't recommend usually trust self diagnosis from the web tbh which is what I am doing here)

wfs
http://www.aafp.org/afp/20000515/3079.html
Old 07-13-2011, 08:56 PM   #9
Bill Gibson

Profile:

thanks for all the info Steven. I really appreciate it. My shoulder is feeling better still. I decided to try it out with some military presses and more pull ups today and it felt fine during while lifting/pulling. There is a very dull ache now (afterwards) but I suspect that if I stay away from kipping pull ups and burpees for a while, I will be ok. The diagnostic you sent is very helpful. I am currently a student and have limited medical insurance. I believe it would be very costly for me to go to an ortho, get the MRI, etc. etc. for what may seem a relatively minor thing. Hopefully I can forget about this soon!
Old 07-13-2011, 10:58 PM   #10
Gravel Brown

Profile:

I dont want to scare you mate but that type of pain sounds very similar to the pain i had.. and im now 4 weeks post SLAP op with 4 anchors.

Remember, just because you still have good strength in the gym and ROM is fine does not mean something more sinister isnt going on. I could still do snatches, military press, pullups, deadlifts etc etc etc after my injury. It never hurt when i was in the gym.. just a dull ache afterwards. And i never had any problems sleeping.

I did mine doing shoulder press and bench. I have my own opinions on kipping, personally i think its a rediculous movement, but thats just me. Ive lost count of how many shoulder problems ive read about from people kipping.. but anyhow.

Get it checked out asap mate, at least then youll know exactly what is wrong. The money youll spend to get an answer is well worth it.

All the best.

Last edited by Gravel Brown : 07-13-2011 at 11:02 PM.