CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 07-13-2011, 12:45 PM   #21
James Reynolds

Profile:
Re: #1 Reason Not to CrossFit w/ Cheap BB

I had a CAP barbell a while back that almost got me -- bolt came out of the end, sleeve & weights fell off that side and caused it to flip around. Luckily it didn't hit me in the head since it also slipped out of my hand. Crap knurling + crap construction = gave it away to a guy who wanted it only for dead lifting.

I purchased a Pendlay "crossfit bar" as a result and I am very happy with it.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:58 PM   #22
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lowry View Post
Let me know how the B&R bars workout. Although I don't think I want to spend $300 on a BB
I will get feedback on the spin from some of the guys after they lift with it. The sleeves seem to spin REALLY well when the bar is on the rack, though. I like the knurl a lot. So, my initial impression is that it will be a great bar for anyone who wants to use one bar for both powerlifting and Olympic lifting. I mean, I love my Pendlay bars for Olympic lifts, but I don't want people racking them all the time (especially the needle bearing bars). And, I love my Texas Power Bars for powerlifting, but you could kill yourself trying to do Olympic lifts with one. I realize that having different bars isn't feasible for all gyms and individuals, although that's how it would be in my perfect world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Reynolds View Post
I purchased a Pendlay "crossfit bar" as a result and I am very happy with it.
You mean a Pendlay HD bar, right?
Old 07-14-2011, 07:09 AM   #23
James Reynolds

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post

You mean a Pendlay HD bar, right?
Nope... I meant "crossfit bar" because that's what it was called when I bought it a few years ago. I am not sure if it's the same as the HD bar or not. I am sure Mr. Pendlay could clear that up better than I could!
Old 07-14-2011, 02:06 PM   #24
Michael Loucas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Reynolds View Post
Nope... I meant "crossfit bar" because that's what it was called when I bought it a few years ago. I am not sure if it's the same as the HD bar or not. I am sure Mr. Pendlay could clear that up better than I could!
Pretty sure it's not, believe it's not covered under the lifetime warranty anymore like it was when it was originally produced. The HD bar is.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:22 AM   #25
Ben Liniger

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
I will get feedback on the spin from some of the guys after they lift with it. The sleeves seem to spin REALLY well when the bar is on the rack, though. I like the knurl a lot. So, my initial impression is that it will be a great bar for anyone who wants to use one bar for both powerlifting and Olympic lifting. I mean, I love my Pendlay bars for Olympic lifts, but I don't want people racking them all the time (especially the needle bearing bars). And, I love my Texas Power Bars for powerlifting, but you could kill yourself trying to do Olympic lifts with one. I realize that having different bars isn't feasible for all gyms and individuals, although that's how it would be in my perfect world.
How did you like the B&R bar? I'm trying to decide if I'll get the B&R or Rogue as a multi purpose or if I just get 2 bars (1 TXPB and 1 Pendlay).
Old 08-16-2011, 10:21 AM   #26
Jeremy Galo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Liniger View Post
How did you like the B&R bar? I'm trying to decide if I'll get the B&R or Rogue as a multi purpose or if I just get 2 bars (1 TXPB and 1 Pendlay).
As somebody who's tried all the bars you've listed... Go with the 2 bars (1 texas powerbar and 1 pendlay) if money isn't an issue. If money is an issue, I'd HONESTLY say get a Pendlay HD as a multipurpose bar... as it will be better suited for Olympic Lifting than a Rogue Bar. If you have big hands you might like the B&R better but that 29mm diameter shaft is just too big for me.

Also, I'm not a fan of York bars in general just because of the endcap design. To be fair, however, the B&R bar DOES spin well as Tamara noted, but I honestly think it's too stiff for olympic lifting whereas the Pendlay HD works well for all movements. The B&R just doesn't have the whip I like for doing cleans. I like squatting with it though!

Just my two cents

Last edited by Jeremy Galo : 08-16-2011 at 10:24 AM.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:40 AM   #27
Nalin Prabhu

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Galo View Post
... The B&R just doesn't have the whip I like for doing cleans. I like squatting with it though!
Just curious- how much do you clean?
Old 08-16-2011, 01:39 PM   #28
Jeremy Galo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin Prabhu View Post
Just curious- how much do you clean?
125kg @77kg BW

For the record, I normally lift with an Eleiko training bar. With that said... I've hit pretty close to my max snatch/clean numbers using a Rogue Castro, Pendlay Econ, and some unnamed powerbar. Whip isn't the biggest factor for me as far as weight lifted (I just notice it more on the bottom of my clean when catching)... it's more of a preference as I feel I get a better shot out of the hole from recovering. I'm a bigger proponent of spin. I mainly just don't like the larger shaft diameter of the B&R.

Last edited by Jeremy Galo : 08-16-2011 at 01:52 PM.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:18 PM   #29
William Henniger

Profile:

Jeremy:

I don't think you have tried our latest Rogue Bar, I will put its pink slip against others in that range.

For a Power Bar the West Side Power Bar is a monster if you want aggressive knurl.

Bill
Old 08-16-2011, 03:27 PM   #30
Zach S

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Galo View Post
As somebody who's tried all the bars you've listed... Go with the 2 bars (1 texas powerbar and 1 pendlay) if money isn't an issue. If money is an issue, I'd HONESTLY say get a Pendlay HD as a multipurpose bar... as it will be better suited for Olympic Lifting than a Rogue Bar. If you have big hands you might like the B&R better but that 29mm diameter shaft is just too big for me.

Also, I'm not a fan of York bars in general just because of the endcap design. To be fair, however, the B&R bar DOES spin well as Tamara noted, but I honestly think it's too stiff for olympic lifting whereas the Pendlay HD works well for all movements. The B&R just doesn't have the whip I like for doing cleans. I like squatting with it though!

Just my two cents
You must have tiny hands if 1mm makes that much difference.

The only thing i would say is if you are more into powerlifting or might ever do one arm barbell movements then get a bar with center knurl. Also i still love my b&r over my pendlay bearing but i only do the power versions of oly lifts.