CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-29-2011, 05:37 PM   #1
John Lowry

Profile:
Weak Leg Advice

Let me start off by saying that I feel my legs are terribly weak and they're really holding me back from making significant gains on certain benchmarks and WODs. I'm 6'3" and 195#.

Some of my benchmarks are:

1 Mile Run - 6:00
Fran - 3:12
Cindy - 31
Grace - 2:53
Jeremy - 7:34 (burpees kill me on most workouts, have to break into sets of 7 or so to keep my legs)
Nancy 13:11
Deadlift - 365
Squat - haven't maxed out in a while but was doing 250# for sets of 3 reps last week.

So as you see, I'm not in too bad of shape and my upper body strength definitely makes up for my weak legs. But I know I would make killer progress if I had stronger legs.

So after reading lots about the Conjugate Method and other possible programs
I was wondering if it would be wise to simply individually address squats and their variations before a WOD each week. Would a moderate rep scheme (8-10) be best? Or would a low rep scheme (3-5) be better?

I already know that the Conjugate method focuses on the 1RM with assistance exercises because you will not get stronger without your weakest point getting stronger. But the conjugate method isn't a method I necessarily want to take.

Does anyone have any experience addressing weak points and still doing WODs? Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old 06-29-2011, 06:44 PM   #2
Paulo Santos

Profile:
Re: Weak Leg Advice

I'm still a beginner, so take this for what it is worth. I was and still am pretty weak so I decided to try a couple of strength programs to see which one I liked best/worked best for my schedule. I had settled on the 70's Big and Conjugate CrossFit. CFSB was also something I really wanted to do, but did not work with my schedule at all.

I like the 70's Big, but it didn't exactly work too well with my schedule (4 days on/4 days off) and I don't think the linear progression is AS GOOD as the conjugate style (at least nit with the results I saw). I also didn't like how the 70's big interfered with the CrossFit WODs because I was squatting twice a week so I had to cut out a lot of squats and power cleans from my WODs. I also stalled out pretty quickly on the 70's Big and I don't believe in having to gain weight to get stronger.

With the conjugate, I have seen steady increases in all of my lifts. All of the squats and presses I do with the CrossFit, actually help me get stronger. I just basically replaced the load days in CrossFit with the Conjugate workouts. IMHO, conjugate works perfectly with CrossFit. Even if you can't do some of the conjugate assistance exercises, you can find something in CrossFit that will work.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:13 PM   #3
John Lowry

Profile:

So do you basically only do CrossFit Conjugate when the WOD is an ME type day? Like 3-3-3-3-3 and 5-5-5-5-5? Or strictly when the WOD calls for 1-1-1-1-1-1? Is that what you mean by a load day?
Old 06-29-2011, 07:29 PM   #4
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lowry View Post
So do you basically only do CrossFit Conjugate when the WOD is an ME type day? Like 3-3-3-3-3 and 5-5-5-5-5? Or strictly when the WOD calls for 1-1-1-1-1-1? Is that what you mean by a load day?
Here is my schedule:

Day1: Conjugate Upper.
Day2: Metcon.
Day3: Metcon.
Day4: Conjugate Lower.
Day5: Rest.
Day6: Metcon.
Day7: Metcon.
Day8: Rest.

I don't do any of the CrossFit Load days (ME days), such as the Squats: 1,1,1,1, or the Deadlifts: 3,3,3,3, etc.

But if you have a 7 day schedule, I would do:

Day3: Rest.
Day5: Metcon.
Day7: Rest.

Last edited by Paulo Santos : 06-29-2011 at 07:33 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:36 PM   #5
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

a very simple way would be to simply start doing 5x5 of a compound movement each workout. warm up, do the 5x5, rest and stretch a few minutes and then do your WOD as normal. this will work most days. your times on your WOD may suffer just a tad but from the times you posted you already have a good engine so as long as you push hard you aren't going to lose conditioning.

another simple option is to start using more weight than RX'd for your leg stuff on WODs. if it calls for 225 deadlift, do 275. if fran comes up, do 135 thrusters. for metcons of burpees, box jumps, etc start using a weight vest.

lastly you will have to allow for proper recovery. if you crush you legs everyday between lifting, WOD, running, etc then they will have a hard time recovering and growing stronger. proper nutrition, eating plenty, and recovery are as important as the workout.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:53 PM   #6
Damon Stewart

Profile:

I squat 3-4 days a week and still do the WODs. It's really not that big a deal. I either do 5, 5, 5, 3, 3 or ME's per the Conjugate for CF method. Your body will adapt. 3 days/week is optimal, 2 is fine, 1's not too far from a waste of time.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:21 PM   #7
Jordan K Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Santos View Post
Here is my schedule:

Day3: Metcon.
Day5: Rest.
Day7: Metcon.
Day8: Rest.

I don't do any of the CrossFit Load days (ME days), such as the Squats: 1,1,1,1, or the Deadlifts: 3,3,3,3, etc.

But if you have a 7 day schedule, I would do:

Day3: Rest.
Day5: Metcon.
Day7: Rest.
So you do ME and DE in the same session?
Old 06-30-2011, 12:21 AM   #8
Aaron Gainer

Profile:

Just squat volume 3 days per week alternating front and back squat every session. You will make gains faster that way and your squat #s will go through the roof.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:05 AM   #9
James Orr

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Gainer View Post
Just squat volume 3 days per week alternating front and back squat every session. You will make gains faster that way and your squat #s will go through the roof.
But you won't be able to call it something.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:41 AM   #10
John Lowry

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Gainer View Post
Volume as in something like 3 sets of 10?