CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-15-2011, 05:27 PM   #11
Luke Seubert

Profile:
Re: Nutrition suggestions for reducing soft tissue injuries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Page Johnson View Post
What led me to think about looking at this from a nutritional point of view is that I recently read "Deep Nutrition" by Catherine Shanahan. In it she described some of the joint pains she had, which were a result of inadequate nutrition. She suggested bone broths and meat on the bone. There are so many knowledgeable people out here, I thought maybe someone would have additional nutrition suggestions.
Page, I think you got a lot of good advice here. Katherine Derbyshire's advice is especially good - make sure you are getting enough water, nutrients, and rest coupled with proper warmup, cooldown, and mobility work. That sounds really simple and basic, but it is surprisingly hard to consistently and persistently do the basics. However the payoff is quite large.

I would add one more note though, based upon my personal experience as well as a lot of reading and study. Along with your mostly Paleo diet, make sure you are either eating a lot of fatty, coldwater fish or taking high quality fish oil supplements. Fish oil helps with a lot of things, including reducing inflammation which is part of these injuries you mention.

About three years ago, I was going out on brisk walks four or five times a week. I kept a detailed journal, and wound up taking ibuprofen 2 or 3 times every week to knock down muscle soreness, muscle pulls, etc.

These days, I am on a strict Paleo diet with plenty of fish oil. While I am not yet fit enough to do proper CrossFit workouts, my workout regimen is far more rigorous now than my previous brisk walks. I take ibuprofen for muscle soreness maybe once a month. And I haven't gotten any muscle pulls.

So stick with your Paleo diet, follow Katherine's advice by just doing the basics, and consider adding fish oil to your diet in one form or another.