CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-12-2011, 06:23 PM   #1
Page Johnson

Profile:
Nutrition suggestions for reducing soft tissue injuries?

I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for reducing soft tissue injuries using nutrition. I've had joint pain for years, and that was helped a lot when I cut out grains, but I'm still pretty prone to injuries, such as pulling hamstrings and anything along the posterior chain.

Right now, I don't eat grains, seldom eat legumes. I do eat some high quality dairy, and eggs, meat, veggies and some fruit, nuts, coconut and olive oil.

I'm middle-aged, and thin, about 16.8 body fat, so over-weight is not the issue. I actually kind of struggle to maintain a good weight. I do Crossfit about 3 times a week. I'd like to do more, but tend to get injured. For example, I recently did some sprints and pulled a hamstring. I tried adding a couple of days of strength training, and back felt like I'd been stretched on a rack for hours.

Recently, I've started to take glucosamine-chondroitin supplements, and to have more "meat on the bone." Any other suggestions? I'd really like to do more physically, but I'm so tired of getting injured.

TIA
Old 06-12-2011, 06:40 PM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Nutrition suggestions for reducing soft tissue injuries?

More mobility work, better hydration, better warmups. There are no magic foods for not pulling hamstrings.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:42 PM   #3
Joe Bernard

Profile:

I'd look at your warmup and cooldown first before even considering anything else. What do you do for warming up before a workout? For stretches to do after your workout as well as any time of the day, check out www.mobilitywod.com (wfs) and do some of the stretches for your posterior chain. Also, swing by a sporting goods store and get a foam roller. I've felt much better and have improved my flexbility a good amount by doing a couple hamstring stretches and foam rolling 3-4x/week.

Edit: Eric beat me to it.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:00 PM   #4
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Warmup, cooldown, general mobility.

Adequate food and adequate rest, in particular making sure that you're getting enough of all the macronutrients.

Appropriate workout scaling.

Katherine
Old 06-12-2011, 07:07 PM   #5
Chris Mason

Profile:

Strength work.

You got sore from strength training, so what?

I am willing to bet your main problem is you are weak as heck.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:43 PM   #6
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Page Johnson View Post
I'm middle-aged, and thin, about 16.8 body fat, so over-weight is not the issue. I actually kind of struggle to maintain a good weight. I do Crossfit about 3 times a week. I'd like to do more, but tend to get injured. For example, I recently did some sprints and pulled a hamstring. I tried adding a couple of days of strength training, and back felt like I'd been stretched on a rack for hours.
Hmm. Just re-read this. Are you sure you understand the difference between "sore" and "injured?" It's not unusual to be sore after a tough workout, particularly if it involves a maximum effort or an exercise you haven't done before. Injuries should be much more unusual.

Katherine
Old 06-13-2011, 05:31 PM   #7
Page Johnson

Profile:

Thanks everyone, for the suggestions. I am incorporating them.

I do think these are injuries rather than soreness; I have felt things "go" while I've been working out, running or whatever. I've had joint issues for years, and have done a lot of chiro and rehab, which has helped. I do need to get stronger, so it was kind of maddening when my attempts seemed to set me back.

What led me to think about looking at this from a nutritional point of view is that I recently read "Deep Nutrition" by Catherine Shanahan. In it she described some of the joint pains she had, which were a result of inadequate nutrition. She suggested bone broths and meat on the bone. There are so many knowledgeable people out here, I thought maybe someone would have additional nutrition suggestions.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:09 PM   #8
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Page Johnson View Post
What led me to think about looking at this from a nutritional point of view is that I recently read "Deep Nutrition" by Catherine Shanahan. In it she described some of the joint pains she had, which were a result of inadequate nutrition. She suggested bone broths and meat on the bone.
Both of which are very tasty and good for you, so I'm not going to argue.

My question, though, is what are you eating now? I can certainly see potential injury issues if your diet is too low in protein, fat, or any of a number of micronutrients. I just think a diet that was lacking in those things would probably have other bad effects, too.

Katherine
Old 11-15-2011, 01:06 PM   #9
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

Have you maybe considered that you just started off to hard/to fast/to heavy to soon?

Like everyone else says, I would look at your nutrition, warm-up, cool down, general mobility work, and I'll also add in that you should learn proper technique on everything you plan to do, practice that proper technique until it is 2nd nature. While learning the technique you will be forced to go light, therefore you will build up gradually.

I've heard and seen 50+ yr old people lifting some serious weight, or running or rucking so if you keep having this many problems, its not normal. That would either imply YOU are doing something wrong somewhere along the line...OR medically there is something wrong with you.

Before undertaking a serious fitness regimen, you should get a complete physical, have you done so? as well as bring up all these issues/concerns?

Are you training under the tutelage of a good trainer?
Old 11-15-2011, 01:17 PM   #10
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

Only time I ever pulled a muscle in over 12 years of running was not warming up enough before going full speed... popped that hammy like someone shot me in the leg...