CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-10-2007, 06:43 AM   #1
Matt Richardson

Profile:
I'm trying to get to my first pullup. How many days a week should I be doing body rows, jumping pullups, etc....
I know I need the reps but at what point is it detremental?

Thanks....
Old 04-10-2007, 08:12 AM   #2
John Nolan

Profile:
...when you pull the bar out of the ceiling!

Old 04-10-2007, 08:16 AM   #3
John Nolan

Profile:
Seriously though, I think that you can continue to integrate the exercises that need the most improvement in as often as you can stand. If I need to improve pullups and the days workout is a pull up work out, I will probably work pullups after the workout...and if it is not a PU workout I may do pull ups for a warm up
Old 04-10-2007, 08:26 AM   #4
David Bennett

Profile:
If you don't go to failure, you could probably get away with 5-6 times a week. Some people warm up with 3 sets of 10-15 pullups and ring dips on a 3 days on, 1 day off cycle as part of their warm up for the WOD.

If you want a strength building program, purchase Rippetoe's Practical Programing. One of the programs has you doing pullups once a week and chin ups once a week to failure. If you get more than 10 reps, I think you are supposed to add weights.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:12 AM   #5
Michael Tong

Profile:
I used the GTG (grease the groove) approach with very acceptable results for increasing my dead-hang pull-up numbers. You could doing the same with body rows. GTG is simply doing some number of the exercise very frequently throughout the day (a more experienced CFer may have a better definition).

FWIW, I would either do 10 pull-ups 10x a day, or I would go to failure (which was about 14 when I started GTGing) and do this 3x a day. I did this everyday, even on rest days. I made mild adjustments if my WOD included heavy pull-ups.

After a little less than 2 months, my PU number is up to 26, with full range of motion and no kipping. Trying for 40 by the end of the year.

Anyway, this is just what I did. Keep at it; you'll get there soon.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:05 PM   #6
Mike Groth

Profile:
Im in the same position of trying to be able to do pullups. I've been doing jumping pullups but feel like I get more of a workout in my legs than my arms and back. Im going to give the GTG method a try and hope it increases my PU numbers. Right now im at 0 and want to get my dead hang PU # to 10.

Im going to put a pullup bar in the garage this week(end) and want to get some elastic bands to assist w/ pullups. Anyone know where to get those?

Old 04-11-2007, 02:17 AM   #7
Cal Jones

Profile:
I'm in the same boat. At the moment I can do 2-3 pull-ups from the bar I put up in my flat.
One the machine at the gym (assisted pull-up machine) I struggle to do one rep from a dead hang, although if I use the assistance I can do as many as I need to depending on how much weight I use (subtract from my bodyweight).

What's the best strategy - do lots of singles in my flat over the course of the day (on a weekend since I'm at work during the week) or use the machine in the gym and try and use less and less assistance as time goes by? Or both? :-) It's a bit hard to "grease the groove" when you can only do singles!
Old 04-11-2007, 05:07 AM   #8
Thomas Covington

Profile:
Cal,

After my shoulder trouble I was unable to do a single without some serious pain and knocking in my shoulder. I used the assist 2x a week @ 8-12 reps, trying to cut one plate off of the counterweight a week. After a month an a half I was able to do not just one dead hang, pain & knock free, but 4 or 5 on the first try.

I like this method due to being able to set a specific goal for the week, month, etc. Also, if you can only do singles unassisted then you might not be able to do enough per day to really advance your goal before your muscles get too tired.

$0.02
Old 04-11-2007, 06:19 AM   #9
Ian Holmes

Profile:
Do some statics. This would involve holding yourself in the highest position for as long as possible [or 25s], then lowering slightly for another 10-20s, then holding the dead hang as long as you can.
Do this three times every day.

Of course that will be easier once you have 1 good pull-up, but you can do jumping pulls before that.

(Message edited by jowchoo on April 11, 2007)
Old 04-11-2007, 06:31 AM   #10
John Nolan

Profile:
Mike,
I am certain that your DH PU will improve (and possibly more) while doing kipping PUs exclusively. In me, I have seen a greater improvement in PUs since I started training with kipping and assited PUs than I did where I strictly trained w/ dead hang. With assisted and jumping you will be able to pull more reps, thereby stressing your muscles for a longer period of time--endurance. The greater strength gains are on the individual (how much you assist your arms and back...how high you jump compared to how much you pull)....I just saw the above post....and agree that if you do a jumping PU and feel like you are cheating...hold it or lower very slowly...

Cal,
I am guessing that best bet for the better increases are applying Coach's intensity formula I=(MxD)/T...meaning do more at one sitting as opposed spread out all day. The technique I use is picking 3 or 4 exercises that I totally suck at and doing reps of 10 back to back for 3 sets for a warm-up. With that, I will use as much/little assistance that I need. I have seen it work for me.

...not my $.02...just my $.05 worth of free advice

(Message edited by JuanMurphy on April 11, 2007)