CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-29-2011, 03:14 PM   #61
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:
Re: No spotter for noob...bad idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie Ellickson View Post
Novice question...If you keep the bar mid-chest, does that alleviate some of the concern of the bar ending up on your larynx?
Not really in cases like David Little's where he had something go wrong and it rolled from his chest on to his throat. If you have a catastrophic failure (pec tear, wrist break, exertion headache, seizure, pass out, whatever) then it's better to come down on your chest than your neck but then you still need to deal with the weight....but now you're fatigued, injured, and stuck. A failure isn't always something graceful.

But yes, in general you should always press over your chest and have a spot when moving the bar over your head/face/throat. SS even mentions this saying to focus on having your last rep not start moving towards the rack for this reason (people often start coming back towards the rack on the last step).

Last edited by Matt Haxmeier : 04-29-2011 at 03:16 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:10 PM   #62
Jeremy Maddox

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
Have you ever seen anyone fly off a pullup bar? I ask honestly because some people haven't. It isn't pretty.

I was in the Marine Corps for 6 years and can not even count the number of kipping pull ups I have seen done and I can honestly say i have never seen anyone fly off a pull up bar. Slip off...sure, land on their butt...sure, but never any injuries that I witnessed...it would be something to see though and would definitely make a lasting impression...

I'm with Vickie..after reading about all these accidents I'm scared to go downstairs and lift anything...
Old 04-29-2011, 08:18 PM   #63
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Vechet View Post
Are you talking about just slipping off or actually getting some air?
If your grip fails while doing high rep kipping pullups... you're gonna get some air. Hope there's nothing pointy underneath you.

Katherine
Old 04-29-2011, 08:29 PM   #64
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Fly off the pullup bar? It happened in the Games last year, in the final event for the masters women. Pretty rough landing on it. I've seen it on a few other videos too. It can still happen with a closed grip, but is obviously less likely.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:58 PM   #65
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Toes to Bar, in a team competition. The girl didn't wrap her thumbs around the bar, and flew off while her legs were nearing the top of the up swing, landed about 4 feet away directly on her head and neck. Fortunately, only a mild concussion, no serious damage.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:07 PM   #66
Jeremy Maddox

Profile:

Ouch...
Old 04-30-2011, 05:32 AM   #67
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie Ellickson View Post
I had no fear of benching until I read this thread.

I'm not even going to search for videos, I'm sure they are terrible.

I remember that guy from the USC football team that was benching and lost his grip. He had a spotter and the bar still ended up on his throat. I just checked the interweb and it looks like he filed a lawsuit earlier this year stating that his spotter (an Asst Coach) struck the bar which put it off balance and resulted in the accident.

Novice question...If you keep the bar mid-chest, does that alleviate some of the concern of the bar ending up on your larynx?
I know I am irrational, but I will never bench alone. I don't care if I have a power cage or not.

There is a horrible story of someone who failed a rep and then rolled the bar down his body in order to get it off of him. He died later from internal bleeding. Lots of horror stories out there. I am good at hearing things like that and then having nightmares.

That said, more people have probably bench pressed at some point in their lives versus any other barbell lift. And, I think it is a useful and important lift, and people should do it.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:51 AM   #68
adam adkins

Profile:

When I was 15 I went to a party, got in a fight with my girlfriend and she broke up with me. So, you know, it was time to throw around some weight. 30 minutes later I was pinned under 265, alone, in my parents basement.

I get dooshechills just thinking about it.

Last edited by adam adkins : 04-30-2011 at 06:51 AM. Reason: play with spelling
Old 04-30-2011, 07:22 AM   #69
Gene Pires

Profile:

7 pages on a yes or no question?
answer- bad idea.

how about you make a spotter for cheap? (if you work out at home) I have read about using wooden saw horses or pipe? Make one for benching and one for squatting. Assuming normal technique, most of the time that you need a spotting is a failure to push the weight back up and results in a slow lowering onto the spotting rests.