CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-27-2011, 11:45 AM   #1
Tricia Magrini

Profile:
Tips on C2B pullups?

Silly me always thought C2B really just meant the height of the bar had to be at your chest, but with the standards specifying chest must touch the bar for 11.6....well I am struggling with that. I get plenty high enough over the bar but still can't seem to make contact. I heard someone mention inverting the grip and pullling in more than up but haven't had a chance to try it.

Any other advice/tips? I think it is a mechanics issue more than strength, but not sure. Thanks!
Old 04-27-2011, 11:51 AM   #2
Geoff Archibald

Profile:
Re: Tips on C2B pullups?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia Magrini View Post
Silly me always thought C2B really just meant the height of the bar had to be at your chest, but with the standards specifying chest must touch the bar for 11.6....well I am struggling with that. I get plenty high enough over the bar but still can't seem to make contact. I heard someone mention inverting the grip and pullling in more than up but haven't had a chance to try it.

Any other advice/tips? I think it is a mechanics issue more than strength, but not sure. Thanks!
For me, I find that a a kip that puts me more horizontal works better and a slightly wider hand placement.

Some girls at my box have had success using a mixed grip (one hand away and one towards).
Old 04-29-2011, 06:00 AM   #3
William Clark

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Archibald View Post
For me, I find that a a kip that puts me more horizontal works better and a slightly wider hand placement.

Some girls at my box have had success using a mixed grip (one hand away and one towards).
Agreed. One cue I've been using is to arch your back a little more, or think about pressing your chest up, and pull your elbows back more at the end, similar to a row rather than a chin over bar pullup
Old 04-29-2011, 02:30 PM   #4
Michael Loucas

Profile:

For me, both hands under rather than mixed works well.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:40 PM   #5
Joshua Gritton

Profile:

Both hands under is technically a chin up but whatever its semantics on here. If a workout calls for chest to bar I simply perform a Gymnastics style kip instead of the largely liked and used by most Butterfly. Its a slower kip for sure but the fact that my chest makes contact each time before I press away from the bar is proof enough for me.

Either that or simply pull yourself towards the bar at the top of your kip really freaking hard. You will hit something on it I am sure.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:17 AM   #6
Tricia Magrini

Profile:

Thanks for the tips. I found the chin up grip to be the most effective for me....although not great. Defintiely need to integrate them into my warm ups more. 11.6 is done though thankfully!