CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 03-02-2011, 04:53 PM   #1
Michael Bullock

Profile:
Question Concept 2 Indoor Rower Model C w/ PM2

I've found one on Craigslist for $200. I'm wondering if it's worth it and if the monitor can be upgraded. Am being told that rower works fine but "electronic parts" don't....

Edit: Found where I can get a retro fit kit for the PM3 for $160

Last edited by Michael Bullock : 03-02-2011 at 05:08 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:40 PM   #2
Greg Mulligan

Profile:
Re: Concept 2 Indoor Rower Model C w/ PM2

$200 sounds like a reasonable price for a C2, but if the monitor isn't working and it is going to cost you an additional $160 for parts replacement ($360 total +shipping.)

I would say dont bother and try and find a rower that you know isn't going to poop out.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:44 PM   #3
Todd Rehm

Profile:

I'd buy it. I've sold two model Cs with working monitors for $500 and each of them sold the first day they were listed, to the first person willing to show up with the cash.

Don't know about the market in Hattiesburg, but I suspect they aren't growing on trees there either.

The model C is bullet-proof and the monitor is the only weak point.

I'd buy it fast, then get on c2forum.com (wfs) and look for a used monitor.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:31 AM   #4
Michael Bullock

Profile:

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm going to look at it tomorrow and see what kind of shape it's in. I'm hoping to talk the seller down on the price a little.

I don't know much about the inner workings of the rowers. Any chance there is something else wrong that could cause the monitor to not work? I don't want to spend ~$350+ and it have some kind of weird electrical problem that a new monitor won't fix.

Thanks again,
Old 03-03-2011, 07:37 AM   #5
James R. Climer

Profile:

I'm gonna channel Sling Blade and ask what should be obvious:

Does it have fresh batteries?
Is the monitor plugged in?

I spent $450.00 on a fully intact and functional
Model 2 with a working PM2 monitor and only 139 kM
on the odometer, I couldn't be happier.

So my point is $200 + $160 leaves $90 for other little
maintenance/ possible upgrade. Go for it.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:31 AM   #6
Michael Bullock

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James R. Climer View Post
I'm gonna channel Sling Blade and ask what should be obvious:

Does it have fresh batteries?
Is the monitor plugged in?

I spent $450.00 on a fully intact and functional
Model 2 with a working PM2 monitor and only 139 kM
on the odometer, I couldn't be happier.

So my point is $200 + $160 leaves $90 for other little
maintenance/ possible upgrade. Go for it.
I'm assuming the seller tried these but I will be taking a set of batteries with me.

If I can get the PM2+ monitor to work, is it good enough for Crossfit stuff? I've always used one of the PM3's at my affiliate.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:41 PM   #7
James R. Climer

Profile:

I have never been limited by my Model C w/ PM2
to do a WOD.

I recently did a cool 500 meter-rep / 1-minute rest
interval for 5 rounds on a Model D/ PM3 that is pre-
programmed into the monitor. I tried to keep the
pace at the desired 2000 meter pace and do each
rep slightly faster than the previous round. It
was a decent workout.

I have never tried to set up a rest interval of time
versus repetition of distance on my PM2, just the basic 20 sec rep/
10 sec rest Tabata style. What's nice is it will count
the rounds for you, (a challenging skill to be accurate on
by the 6th round).

Last edited by James R. Climer : 03-03-2011 at 01:42 PM. Reason: sp error
Old 03-04-2011, 07:51 AM   #8
Todd Rehm

Profile:

The most common thing to go bad that I've seen or heard about is the monitor LCD where it stops functioning. In that case, replace the monitor. You might find one on ebay, and I've had good luck on c2forum.com (wfs) where I got a used working PM2 for $60.

If the monitor screen works but it doesn't respond to the flywheel motion, it could be the monitor pickup, which costs $12.85 plus shipping from C2 and is a simple one-screwdriver replacement. I replaced the monitor pickup on one of my C2s that I overhauled as a preventative measure and it took me about 5-10 minutes.

The guts of the C2 is the flywheel and I've never seen one that had a flywheel or flywheel balance issue. Everything else is cheap and easy to replace.

If you find that the chain is rusty when you look at a used model C, it's an $18.00 part and about 15-20 minutes work to replace. Likewise the bungee cord if it's frayed is $4.90 and if you're replacing either the chain or the cord, you might as well do both.

Anything except the major structural parts and the flywheel is easily and inexpensively replaced.

I prefer the model D handle, so I put one on my old C for $15 and a few minutes time.

One thing that's often not mentioned here that I loved about the PM2 is that you can use the free e-row software running on a throwaway laptop. It allows you greater flexibility in programming interval workouts, gives you a pace boat, racing, etc. Now with the Model D/PM3 I have to buy the e-row software to get the same thing and it needs a newer laptop to run on.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:42 AM   #9
Michael Bullock

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Rehm View Post
The most common thing to go bad that I've seen or heard about is the monitor LCD where it stops functioning. In that case, replace the monitor. You might find one on ebay, and I've had good luck on c2forum.com (wfs) where I got a used working PM2 for $60.

If the monitor screen works but it doesn't respond to the flywheel motion, it could be the monitor pickup, which costs $12.85 plus shipping from C2 and is a simple one-screwdriver replacement. I replaced the monitor pickup on one of my C2s that I overhauled as a preventative measure and it took me about 5-10 minutes.

The guts of the C2 is the flywheel and I've never seen one that had a flywheel or flywheel balance issue. Everything else is cheap and easy to replace.

If you find that the chain is rusty when you look at a used model C, it's an $18.00 part and about 15-20 minutes work to replace. Likewise the bungee cord if it's frayed is $4.90 and if you're replacing either the chain or the cord, you might as well do both.

Anything except the major structural parts and the flywheel is easily and inexpensively replaced.

I prefer the model D handle, so I put one on my old C for $15 and a few minutes time.

One thing that's often not mentioned here that I loved about the PM2 is that you can use the free e-row software running on a throwaway laptop. It allows you greater flexibility in programming interval workouts, gives you a pace boat, racing, etc. Now with the Model D/PM3 I have to buy the e-row software to get the same thing and it needs a newer laptop to run on.
What tools would I need to take with me to pop the cover and look at the flywheel? I'm going to look at it this afternoon.

I've managed to talk the seller down to $175 without looking at it Hopefully I can get it close to $150
Old 03-04-2011, 12:09 PM   #10
James R. Climer

Profile:

"One thing that's often not mentioned here that I loved about the PM2 is that you can use the free e-row software running on a throwaway laptop."

Is this info available on the C2 website? It looks like fun, and I have a few throw-away laptops.