CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 11-29-2006, 11:05 PM   #1
Sol Agramont

Profile:
Besides rowing, running and jump rope, what other exercises are good for metcon?
Are SDHPs considered a metcon exercise? Can it be done with dumbbells?
Old 11-30-2006, 12:38 AM   #2
Laura Rucker

Profile:
Hi, Sol!

Any of the exercises are good for metcon! Drop the weight to something you can do for multiples and perform as fast as you can with good form! You can use dumbbells, kettle bells, slam balls, whatever!

Thrusters, Pullups (kipping), cleans, etc...see efforts on comments for any of the benchmark workouts for the evidence! Grace for instance - clean and Jerk 135# 30 reps for time (or scale down the weight). Or the classic beauty of Fran, or Helen.

:-)
Old 11-30-2006, 02:28 AM   #3
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Sol - The beauty of the CrossFit way and what it does for you is that it allows you to exceed by a dramatic margin your ability to sustain your intensity over a long period of time by changing the muscular demands on your body. If you just run or lift or row or otherwise do a single mode of exercise you will hit your lactate threshold, exhaust the muscles you are using and your intensity will drop off substantially. But the CF way is to change the demand and allow certain muscles to recover while others work. For example we just did a workout I call Olivia in keeping with the girls names which consists of a 500 meter row followed by 75 lb push presses, pullups and ring pushups. Each of the exercises after the row are done for 25 reps and repeated 4 times. Tremendous metcon workout.

As Laura points out ANY of the exercises are good for metcon so long as you go hard and fast and keep moving for whatever the exercise period is. You can do things for time as with Fight Gone Bad, for a descending reps scheme as in the 21-15-9 format or for some number of sets and reps. Write down what you do and note the time or reps and keep track so you can improve your time the next time through. The three basic rules are a Variety of Functional exercises executed at High Intensity.

Lots to choose from, endless combinations, a lifetime to explore. Now get to it.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:55 PM   #4
Sol Agramont

Profile:
Thanks for the replies. I understand what you mean. I originally posted the question more in regards of the crossfit wod template found in the CFJ #6. I know it's not exactly how the WODs are created but wanted to learn a bit about the thinking behind them.
I also have some equipment but do not have a rower and sometimes a place to run is not available, so I was thinking about which other exercises would fit the metabolic conditioning modality presented in the template.