CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 10-26-2010, 02:05 PM   #11
David Meverden

Profile:
Re: $100 Dollar Home Gym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron C Bennett View Post
I've been able to get a standard Olympic set on CraigsList for $75.
BINGO.

The homemade stuff is great, and you could definitely explore that also, but stop #1 should be craigs list for a barbell. Be patient and eventually you'll find someone who doesn't know what their stuff is worth. I got an olympic barbell, 210 lbs worth of weight, and a slightly bent rack that can be used adequately for squats or bench press for only $85. I felt guilty.

Even if you can't find a cheap rack, or don't have room, get the barbell. You can deadlift, front squat, lighter back squat, shoulder press, floor press, clean, snatch, row, and do a bunch of more exotic stuff with nothing more than a barbell. There will be no better bang for your buck.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:19 PM   #12
James R. Climer

Profile:

Garage Sales, Goodwill/ Thrift Stores, Craigslist.org
Homemade web postings and a local hardware.

Combine these with patience, imagination and
persistence. You can make out pretty cheap.

A Hungarian Core Blaster WFS has to be just as
good as a kettlebell for two-handed swings.

Here's how make one: HCB WFS
Old 10-28-2010, 01:25 PM   #13
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James R. Climer View Post
Garage Sales, Goodwill/ Thrift Stores, Craigslist.org
Homemade web postings and a local hardware.

Combine these with patience, imagination and
persistence. You can make out pretty cheap.

A Hungarian Core Blaster WFS has to be just as
good as a kettlebell for two-handed swings.

Here's how make one: HCB WFS
You still need plates for that T-Handle, but it is cool.

Ross Enamait has used one of those, and yeah, uses it just like a kettle bell for swings, though he likes more weight. Check him out doing 130# swings for conditioning in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/user/rossenam.../5/S4WQRYtOU2c (WFS, except for loud music)

I love Ross' stuff and would love to see him take a crack at some classic CF benchmarks. He would kill 'em.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:28 PM   #14
Jeff Yan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mallory View Post
At our gym we've got the medicine ball from hell, aka a swiss ball filled 100 lbs. of water.......That one cost me a whole 8 bucks, and challenges the best of us.
Ross Enamait says you can build a 200# weight set for $20 by making a sandbag. I think the water ball trumps the sandbag (instructions available on Enamait's website)--it's simpler to make and cheaper. Personally, I think removing as much air from the water ball as possible reduces the likelihood of bursting and makes handling the ball much more hellish.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:40 PM   #15
James Francis

Profile:

Some of the adds to my home gym I am pretty proud of...Bulgarian training bags. I made a 20 lb 30 lb and 40lb bag each cost around $19. The paraletts are pretty cool $16, I made a variant so I could add a hurdle varying heights for $3 ... Interval timer from gymboss $20, Jumprope from Walmart $4, Free tire from truck tire store from a tractor #455lbs, Free sledgehammer for beating my tire ...there ya go...$100
Old 10-29-2010, 05:45 PM   #16
Donald Rice

Profile:

You may want to try making a "Bulgarian Bag" out of a tire inner tube and duct tape. It is extremely durable and never leaks. (Less than $30.00 and holds about 55 pounds of sand if you inflate the tube to stretch it out before you cut it) If you are gonna go the homemade sandbag route, I would use rubber mulch to prevent leaking. A little more expensive, but you will save a lot of headaches. Rings are by far the most versatile equipment you can buy, and you can take them on the road. You gotta get a jumprope, the cost to use ratio is just too good. Other than that "pillars of poverty" when you get an olympic bar and some bumpers.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:55 PM   #17
James Francis

Profile:

Don,
I use pea gravel from Lowes it is like $3.50 for a 50lb bag and is much easier to use with the bulgarian bag and much less likely to 'leak' when doing box jumps or resting on your shoulders for a myriad of exercises the pea gravel is much better to work with...

if you get a $5 navy duffle bag from an army surplus store you could use several bulgarian bags to 'load it' then use it for bag drags...that is a killer exercise ...and I'd second the jump rope idea...
Old 10-30-2010, 08:27 PM   #18
Donald Rice

Profile:

I have been lucky so far with the bulgarian bags. I used metal clamps covered in duct tape for the handles and so far no sand has leaked out (its been about a year). I like the pea gravel idea, but does it tear up your chest/shoulders? I feel like the sand would have more give for movements like squat cleans, where the weight lands hard on your chest. I do have a army surplus duffel full of rubber mulch I use for various drops, it does the job. No better bang for the buck than a decent jumprope in my humble opinion, although rings and a sandbag are right in there.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:57 PM   #19
James Francis

Profile:

Actually, Don the Pea gravel is much more comfortable than sand, just don't pack it tight and leave a little room for it to move around so when it shifts it isn't like a 'rock' hitting you...there is some give...

I used a 14" inner tube for my 20lb bag, 15" tube for my 30, and 17" tube for my 40...the 30 was my first one I used sand and it does tend to 'leak' out when it breathes you know when you set it down...or when you sling it over your shoulder...the pea gravel ones are perfect...Just don't pack em tight like the videos show.

Did you put nylon straps on your handles? I did that for 2 of mine, one I was thankful I made the handles big enough to slip my arms through so I can put the weight across my back and do pushups...pretty cool pushup booster!
Old 11-01-2010, 08:43 PM   #20
Eugene Goldashkin

Profile:

some may frown on this but, for lack of money and space dumbells work very well you can use them as kettlebells (just grabe by the head), and you can do most alympic style lifts such as snatches,cleans,press, front squats and so on, you can often times find older dumbells really cheap on craigslist. another option is just getting a few plates and squating, pressing with those.