CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-10-2010, 05:04 PM   #1
Rob Bridgford

Profile:
stalled fat loss

I have been cooking along with primalish diet for about 3 months now and feeling great!

However, I seem to have stalled out on the fat loss at about 18%. My goal is about 15-17 %.
I am keeping my carb count under 100g all the time and under 80g most of the time. At the end of the day, I am consuming between 2000 and 2500 cals.

Is this to low/high to expect good fat loss?

oh yeah.....I am 43 5'11". Crossfit 5 days a week broken up with two rest days.

Thanks !
Old 08-10-2010, 05:39 PM   #2
Wayne Riddle

Profile:
Re: stalled fat loss

How are you measuring your BF? What is your weight?

If you are feeling great, what exactly are looking to do besides hit some arbitrary number?
Old 08-10-2010, 07:17 PM   #3
Brent Eno

Profile:

Don't worry about it. Focus on performance. The body fat issue will be resolved as long as you train hard and continue on a good diet.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:00 PM   #4
Jason Wallis

Profile:

Why is the standard crossfit answer to change your goals instead of helping people attain the ones they set for themselves?
The easy answer is to do more metcon work, assuming your diet is in order. You may, however, be overtrained, or stressed, or have a hormonal issue, or have some rare disease, or any of a million other factors. The point is, experiment. If what you're doing stops working, try something else.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:25 PM   #5
Andrew D White

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Wallis View Post
Why is the standard crossfit answer to change your goals instead of helping people attain the ones they set for themselves?
werd.

Maybe look at the protein/fat breakdown of your diet. Put a more critical eye on your intake and see what's up.
And, the other stuff he said above.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:09 PM   #6
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
The easy answer is to do more metcon work, assuming your diet is in order.
The easy answer may also be to do less. I had more success with fat loss when I stopped doing so much metcon-ish work and used that time to do more active recovery. Now I have 3-4 metcons/week. On the other days, I go for a three mile walk, ride my bike (25-30 miles at about 15 mph) or just do some light skill work in my garage gym. I think the walking and riding kill two birds with one stone as well; backs me off of over-training, and helps me manage my stress.

And +1 on the diet, of course.

Quote:
You may, however, be overtrained, or stressed, or have a hormonal issue, or have some rare disease, or any of a million other factors.
Yep. Agreed. Thus, my point above.

Quote:
The point is, experiment. If what you're doing stops working, try something else.
+1

- Mark
Old 08-11-2010, 03:02 AM   #7
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
No problem there, but one should also ask why do you want to obtain those goals? Kind of like doing user requirement gathering for software development (which I do). The user says I want something to do this (their goal) so it is always a good idea to ask why they are trying to do that. Sometimes the solution (the training in this case) could be entirely different then what the person was thinking.

Not to mention someone asking to make a 1% change in body fat and given how inaccurate many of the body fat tests can be (hence why I asked how he tested), the OP could will already be below his goal and just not know it due to testing errors.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:37 AM   #8
Rob Bridgford

Profile:

the 15-17% BF was a goal I set a few months ago. Figured it was a good number to shoot for to slim down. Yes, a bit of vanity, (I would like to loose the love handles), but mainly trying to trim down to a healthy LM/BF ratio.

My concern is if I am putting enough calories in at 2000-2500 daily to fuel this. I eat pretty clean with 150g protein, 80-100g carbs and the rest good fats.

I use the military measuring tape method. I know BF measurement can be inaccurate, giving me only a "relative" number but it is easy to do at home.

As of this morning, I am 192 lbs

Thanks to everyone for all the pointers!
Old 08-11-2010, 07:27 AM   #9
Jason Wallis

Profile:

Yeah, I mis-worded that. I should have written "while the easy answer would be to do more metcon, there are other factors, yada, yada"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
The easy answer may also be to do less. And +1 on the diet, of course.

Yep. Agreed. Thus, my point above.

+1

- Mark
Old 08-11-2010, 08:42 AM   #10
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Bridgford View Post
I use the military measuring tape method. I know BF measurement can be inaccurate, giving me only a "relative" number but it is easy to do at home.
The little I've read indicates that if done accurately the error rate can be in the +-3% range. Just something to consider if you are trying to lose the 1% body fat.