CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 07-20-2010, 10:59 PM   #21
Anthony DiSarro

Profile:
Re: Was Mikko Hurt

Mikko was just about the only one who didn't hang around and cheer on or help his fellow competitors. This was noticed by about every one in the crowd and wasn't appreciated.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:53 PM   #22
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony DiSarro View Post
Mikko was just about the only one who didn't hang around and cheer on or help his fellow competitors. This was noticed by about every one in the crowd and wasn't appreciated.
After reading this I've decided Crossfit needs a bad guy. Mikko isn't that guy because he's not brash or loud or arrogant. But dammit, people love to have someone to hate. The Games need a T.O. or Lebron James type character. Someone that's so full of themselves and everyone gets behind rooting against them. I know that's not what Crossfit is about but dammit, people keep talking about mass appeal for this thing and that's one of the things that creates mass appeal. We need a villain!
Old 07-20-2010, 11:54 PM   #23
Jesse Gray

Profile:

Quote:
Um... I beg to differ.

Also, in person the sandbag event was pretty boring to watch. I would call it a good effort but one that should not be repeated.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:23 AM   #24
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Gray View Post
Um... I beg to differ.

Also, in person the sandbag event was pretty boring to watch. I would call it a good effort but one that should not be repeated.
That's not what most people who posted in the other thread have thought about it, but it is good to hear critisim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R O'Dell View Post
I know that's not what Crossfit is about but dammit, people keep talking about mass appeal for this thing and that's one of the things that creates mass appeal. We need a villain!
And after reading all the other threads it sounds like Dave Castro IS the villain!!

Just kidding DC, games were awsome!!
Old 07-21-2010, 07:12 AM   #25
Jeff Binek

Profile:

Quote:
This is stupid and ignorant and only someone who didn't compete would say something like this, if some people decide that they want to stick around and do that then that is fine and good for them. But if he needed an ice bath, to eat, and sleep then that takes a MAJOR priority over sitting there and cheering on a guy whose wheel barrel broke twice and isn't even really trying anymore, especially if he is trying to win the whole thing. It was close to 9pm when that heat was going on and they had to be back at 6:30am. Assuming he had to stretch, get a massage and/or ice bath, eat, and get back to his hotel. He probably didn't get to sleep until 11 at the earliest. And 7 hours of sleep after all that is not very much. If it was me I'd of done the same thing both Friday and Saturday evening. Sticking around is not important compared to taking care of your body, don't be ignorant.
My Numbers: 6'2" 225lbs: DL 565, BS 455, FS 400, Clean 330, Jerk 325, C&J 325, Snatch 250, Fran: 2:27, Helen: 6:43
Old 07-21-2010, 08:00 AM   #26
John Cintron

Profile:

Mikko The bad guy are you serious. He comes from a diffrent culture than us he is very quiet and humble. I also think he has trouble speaking in english by some of the interviews. On his site he said he will be back again in 2011 no complaining. Maybe it wasn't great being there watcing the sandbag in person but for me from my computer it looked great. It would be nice if I could watch it next year on my big screen tv.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:20 AM   #27
Richard Lee Sattro

Profile:

I wouldnt say that it wasnt appreciated. I was at the games as well and atleast around me people were wondering what was wrong with him. He wasnt having a good day on the deadlift/D.U./pistol Wod he looked pretty frustrated.

I have to agree with John I dont think Mikko will ever be considered as the bad guy. If anything he will come back next year more prepared than this year. He already does alot of training he will probably trow some skill wok ad pay attention to what main site is doing and adjust accordingly.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:24 AM   #28
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

I never said Mikko should be the bad guy! Sheesh.

The fact that someone said that his actions "weren't appreciated" by most there (which probably isn't even true) made a light bulb go on that we need a bad guy.

Mikko could never be the bad guy though. I said that.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:35 AM   #29
Richard Lee Sattro

Profile:

Jason you pretty much right on the people there at the games werent really that offended at what Mikko did. If there was anyone it was a very select few.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:38 AM   #30
John Cintron

Profile:

Jason

Noone is jumping on you about mikko being the bad guy. Its that I could never see any of these guys as badd guys baddasses yes these guys are taking pain to a whole other level. I would really love to know what he is feeling on his performance what he feels he should have trained more off. But I really think he pulled or strained something. He did double unders last year.The clip I saw of him at santa cruz he was still lifitng heavy weight maybe he did something to close to the competition.