CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 07-19-2010, 04:19 AM   #21
Andrew Bell

Profile:
Re: Thoughts on 2010 Individual Events?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin McCallon View Post
Disregard for Safety - Another one of those "we're CF and we're so tough that we don't care about safety" deals. I think we need to get over this. Somebody is going to eventually get seriously hurt and there's no reason for it. I'm usually big on the whole "man up" and "don't be a *****" thing, but having 20ft rope climbs as the 9th event and third event in a series was really over-the-top. No padding? Come on. They're going to get sued and lose a lot of money, and do a lot of *****ing about it.
I couldn't agree more and have thought this for a long while.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:28 AM   #22
Kristofer Shamloo

Profile:

I think 3 days was great, opening with "Amanda" was perfect, super Helen was great. I think the 90s to establish your overhead max should have started when the time cap was reached. Not as soon as you were finished. Sandbag workout was awesome, but I would have preferred a loaded prowler/sled to a wheelbarrow.

I was impressed with how well people did on pistols, I thought that would have really hurt some of the athletes.

Final WOD was interesting, I liked it for the most part but I was ****ED and still am that they did not have pads under the 20' rope. We can break ground on free streaming HD but we can't get gymnastics pads under the ropes? I'm sure Jeff Tucker had 5 or 6 just in his cowboy hat, not to mention his truck.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:03 AM   #23
Árni Björn Kristjánsson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
Things I liked:
  • the idea of not telling the athletes what the workouts were until right before. however I think there should have been a whiteboard or something so they could see what they had to do, because just listening to Dave Castro in a sea of shouting fans was probably not the best idea.
I agree with this part. Especially difficult for athletes that don't speak English as a first language.

Like in the first workout of the final event Mikko started doing regular push ups, did like 5-7 of those until he was told that he had to stop and lift his hands at the bottom.

When you have to translate in your mind the brain works a bit slower I think

But I agree with most people here, the games were awesome but I missed a pure strength workout and pure endurance.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:45 AM   #24
Robert Keefe

Profile:

I would have like to see a true speed event 200m sprint that's it. Fastest time gets the points simple.

All in all I think Crossfit Did a hell of a job putting together the Event, the Live Stream was awesome, I was glued to the computer the whole weekend, the events I thought were fair. I think Ice Land Annie would have won if there were no muscle ups and handstand push ups that being said I'm glad to see those movements in the programing not to see one lose but to see the most rounded individual win. You know next year the competitors will just work on there goats and come back more well rounded.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:47 AM   #25
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Árni Björn Kristjánsson View Post
Like in the first workout of the final event Mikko started doing regular push ups, did like 5-7 of those until he was told that he had to stop and lift his hands at the bottom.
I agree with your comment regarding language and translation but just want to point out that all of the athletes were also shown the pushup standard.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:50 AM   #26
Árni Björn Kristjánsson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
I agree with your comment regarding language and translation but just want to point out that all of the athletes were also shown the pushup standard.
Yeah that's true, I wonder if Mikko looked away for a few seconds while they where showing the push ups....

Kinda weird how he failed on that one! I think he was the only one out of all athletes.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:25 AM   #27
Marcel Zwinger

Profile:

it's funny how everybody agrees to put much more weight on the bars because for the fittest of men 315lbs of a deadlift is not much, but on the other side nobody seems to realize that 30 Double Unders should not be much of a struggle for the fittest either.
if it were

AMRAP
7x 225lbs deads
20 one legged squats
50 double unders

then I'd agree, it would be biased.

and I agree, some consideration has to go into the maximum weight for those workouts.

the people who qualified should be able to complete the task. I mean, obviously.
otherwise you could just throw out a max C&J of 350lbs in 2min and let take Rob this event and next event do Speal a favour and throw in bw stuff only.
would not be very interesting AND it is not necessary.

final words, for me it just emphasizes of how much of a elite crossfitter Chris Spealler has become and NOT how less weight they were using.

since when is 205lbs for a clean not much weight during a WOD?
ok, it's not super heavy, but it's not light weight either.

everybody was whining that there was too less skill component and bw stuff, now everybody is whining that it's the other way around?
Old 07-19-2010, 06:47 AM   #28
Brian Monk

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel Zwinger View Post

everybody was whining that there was too less skill component and bw stuff, now everybody is whining that it's the other way around?
Armchair quarterb...oh I mean Crossfitters. I guess every sport has 'em.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:55 AM   #29
David Meverden

Profile:

I agree with the comments on Dave Castro: he did not appear friendly or welcoming--a good trait in a host--and was often unclear or inconsistent with his explanations. The only reason I'm not more down on his last event explanations is that each competitor had an individual judge who could give them more info, or remind them of the standard, throughout the event.

Boz was good, but you know who I would love to see as a host? Chuck Carswell. He was an instructor at my lvl 1 cert and was incredibly welcoming, funny, and engaging. He would be a fantastic host or announcer and, with his experience at high level sports outside CF, would also be a good liaison to people outside our sport.

And I want to give a bump to my tire flip idea, just in case people missed it, because I think it's fantastic, and we need to get some buzz out there
A giant row of tires of increasing weight. Seven minutes to flip the heaviest one you can, only heaviest weight counts. Especially with NO prep and no idea how much the tires actually weigh that would be really fun and exciting to watch.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:03 AM   #30
Allen Tluczek

Profile:

I missed the first day, but...

This is my first time watching any crossfit videos, and I was glued to the screen all day. I really liked the events, especially the sandbag move. That was the one that will stick in my head for a while, and the one that generated the most discussion among those of us who got together to watch it. I also liked the dead, run, pistol, du workout a lot.

The lack of safety on the rope climb, though, was just insane. Feet wrapped in the rope, 20 feet off the ground with no padding, on the third day at the end of an intense set of workouts, someone could have easily slipped, spun, landed on their head, etc. I'm not advocating full body protection and steel wires as in game shows, I'd rather see nothing at all than that, but a pad on the ground as people mentioned would have been enough. I love rock climbing, but you couldn't get me to highball even an easy route at the end of a day with no protection at all.

Anyways, really cool, very impressive. I also would have liked to see an all out endurance and an incremental heavy lift like the tire flip, but the amount of work over three days at the weights they were moving made up for it, for me.