CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 07-18-2010, 06:17 PM   #1
David Meverden

Profile:
Thoughts on 2010 Individual Events?

Now that itís all said and done Iíd like to open up a conversation about the events in the 2010 Individual Male and Female CrossFit games.

What are your Impressions? What did you like? What do you think could have been better?

What I thought the games should have had:
1) Another pure strength event. Perhaps a barbell squat or a relatively low skill strong man event (fingal fingers, maybe?)
2) A more pure test of endurance. I donít think we should claim someone is the worlds fittest unless we know that they can run or row a long ways pretty quickly (row 4k, run 4k, row 4k event?).
3) A more mixed modal finale. The 3 last events (the ones done back to back with 30 sec rest) were too similar in the attributes tested, diminishing their significance as separate events. It allowed more movement in the top places, but that is only a plus due to the scoring system they chose (scoring system is another issues, lets not get into that here). Maybe put that fingal finger event in there

Things I liked:
1) The sandbag move workout. Though the wheel barrow screwed some people (I think a sled or wagon would have been more fair), I loved the idea for this event. Just get this load from here . . . to here. A test of fitness doesnít get much more simple or pure than that.
2) The ďthe athletes donít get to know whatís nextĒ style finale. It was cool to see them have to attack workout after workout without gaming. You really got to see what they could do while fatigued almost to the limit.
3) The use of walls and ropes in the last workout and in the sandbag move. I loved the events where they had to scale or jump over things.

Overal impression: The coverage was great (the FREE streaming HD was FANTASTIC) and there was some really exciting, high quality, and interesting events. Overall, though, I think the lack of pure strength, pure endurance, and heavy reliance on movements used very little outside our community (double unders, muscle ups) means that, while the winners may be the best at CrossFit, and DAMN fit, it would be a tough argument to convince people outside our community that this proved who was the fittest person on earth. That last part may or may not be a problem, depending on your perspective and how good you think CFís measurements of fitness are, which is another topic that I don't want people arguing about here, i.e. feel free to state whether you want CF to seek more legitimacy outside our community through how we build the games, but don't try to convince other people they are wrong if they disagree with you (at least not in this thread).
Old 07-18-2010, 06:45 PM   #2
Andrew Bell

Profile:
Re: Thoughts on 2010 Individual Events?

I agree to about 100% of what you say. Like I said in the other thread, needed a pure strength, rather it's deadlift, power clean, bar overhead any way, etc. That I think would be the biggest thing missing.

Maybe if it would have been the second stage in the final 3 it would have been a good way to mix it up at the end. Also I think having multiple stages there at the end and being blind going into them was awsome. Love the over the wall burpies, and the whole sandbag workout on Saturday. Gave it a new path, it's like crossfit skills, but in a strongman type format.

Overall I think it's hard to deny that these were not tests of the fittest in the world and the games did exactly what they wanted. I am looking forward to next year already.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:11 PM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:

I agree with everything except your mucsle ups comment.

I can see how double unders are not 'functional'.... but muscle ups are one of the MOST functional movements there are.... even though the word 'functional' sucks.

Well, let's put it this way muscle ups have one of the best real world applicability... moreso than ANY OTHER BODYWEIGHT MOVEMENT and many of the barbell/odd object ones too.

I would've rather chopped one of the couplet events and put in a 5k / 1-3 RM event instead (or vice versa with the ordering).
Old 07-18-2010, 07:19 PM   #4
Jay Rhodes

Profile:

Final Event would have been nice like this

7 min for 3RM power clean in 45 sec
wall burpee/rope climb
5k run
Old 07-18-2010, 07:21 PM   #5
Richard Lee Sattro

Profile:

I thought that this year was fantastic. I really loved the last 3 event workout (which you can really just say was one big WOD). I have to agree that they should have had an endurance event, and a strength event.

I also liked the emphasis on skills this year. I watched a video recently that had Dave Castro or someone in it and they were talking about how you are always seeing a strength biased, endurance biased, but never a gymnastic biased. If you want to call yourself a crossfit champion you need to be proficient in all the movements that crossfit does. Then we go back to the hopper system and their you go.

Outside of the 2 griupes I had everything else was phenomenal. THe last WOD with the rope climbs, and the sandbag event was perfect. I think next year we will probably see a strength event, and endurace event and some very skill heavy workouts. It will be intersting.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:30 PM   #6
Dan Andrews

Profile:

Wow, I'm glad we are all in agreement a true test of strength should have been included, really was truly lacking throughout the competition. A single endurance event, or a long 4k row or run as mentioned would have been interesting as well. But as one of the announcers pointed out the accumulation of the days WOD's did in a roundabout way turn it into an endurance event.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:34 PM   #7
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Rhodes View Post
Final Event would have been nice like this

7 min for 3RM power clean in 45 sec
wall burpee/rope climb
5k run
Regarding 5K:
My buddy was like "what if they get done with the toes-to-bar overhead workout and then Dave Castro goes: 'run 10k. Out the door, marked in red. 3, 2, 1, go"

Could you imagine? That would be a crazy kick in the pants.

Regarding Power Cleans:
They already had power cleans, which is why I voted back squats. OH, OH! You know what would be cool and a GREAT test of strength? A giant row of tires of increasing weight. Seven minutes to flip the heaviest one you can, only heaviest weight counts. Especially with NO prep time that would be really cool to watch, though logistics would be a problem. Dude, that's it. That's what I want. Next year I want a gravel shoveling event and a max weight tire flip event.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:00 PM   #8
Kevin Bensette

Profile:

Honestly, I don't think we crowned the fittest person on earth.

The only true test of strength was a 1RM overhead press done after an insane 24 min double helen that only saw 1 person break 17 min (16:59)

That's not a test of strength, that's a test of endurance in my opinion.

Had they included Crossfit Total while scoring each of the 3 lifts on their own, I would agree that they tested strength and the first energy system.

Given this years programming, anybody north of 200 pounds has no chance of winning the title in years to come. The sport will become dominated by endurance freaks that can lift medium heavy weights for 20 minutes.

If you're going to program so heavily on body weight movements that are harder on the larger competitors, you need to throw in some 1RM competitions after allowing some rest and recovery to balance things out.

The big guys had no hope this year...

But...I watched almost every event online and I as entertained. I did like the games. I just think that we crowned the best male and female crossfitter for 2010, not the fittest man and woman on the earth.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:26 PM   #9
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Bensette View Post
The big guys had no hope this year...
No hope? The profiles at this link (wfs), whether they're right or wrong, list the top finishers as follows:

- Holmberg : 185lb. Granted, not over 200, but it's still probably fair to call him a "big guy."
- Froning Jr. : 190lb. Even bigger.
- Spealler : 140. That's a small guy, for sure.
- Chan : 210lb.

I doubt that Holmberg, Froning Jr., or Chan would consider themselves endurance freaks.

All that said, I agree with the need for both a 1RM and a more true endurance workout of some sort. My gut still tells me that, even with these changes, a competitor in the 170-190lb range is more often than not going to end up winning the Games.

I'll duck the argument about whether or not winning the Games means you're the fittest man/woman on Earth.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:32 PM   #10
Joe Mercurio

Profile:

"Wow, I'm glad we are all in agreement a true test of strength should have been included, really was truly lacking throughout the competition"

-Ill be one to disagree. If you included another 1RM test of strength, you would need to include a long endurance event to balance out the events this weekend. Which would have looked exactly like last year's games. Which is exactly what everyone trained for. There were enough events with heavy lifts (135lb squat snatchx21, 1RM overhead, amrap with deadlifts @ 315, the 600lbs of sandbags, the cleans @ 205, for guys with lots of strength to pull ahead of everyone else, but they didn't have the gymnastic skill to capitalize on it. Not a fault of the programming there.

"That's not a test of strength, that's a test of endurance in my opinion."

-While I didn't analyze the statistics, I'm willing to bet there's a strong + correlation between individuals strength and their placement in that event. Also, what's the point of strength if you have none when you're tired?

"Given this years programming, anybody north of 200 pounds has no chance of winning the title in years to come"

-And what about #4 overall, Matt Chan, one of the heaviest at @210?

There's a million ways you can skin the cat when it comes to creating a workout for this weekend, but at the end of it can you say the fittest person in the competition won? I'd say Holmberg, Froning, and Spealler deserved the podium spots so, yes. Loved the free online HD streaming too, that was incredible!