CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 07-19-2010, 10:31 AM   #21
Thomas Green

Profile:
Re: Congrats to Graham Holmberg CF Games Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Wright View Post
I'll be surprised if Rich Froning doesn't have a pretty serious injury from that fall. Fractured coccyx, sacrum, pelvis, or SI joint injury. He was limping pretty good at the awards ceremony. Hope thats not the case, but he landed hard, in a bad position.

That fall looked painful as hell! I have long-term SI issues, and the moment I saw him land there the pain shot up to a 10 lol!
Old 07-19-2010, 10:39 AM   #22
Kieran Barry

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
Froning Jr. won the Southeast Regional. He's new, but his Regional win means he didn't really come from out of nowhere.

Holmberg was 19th place in Aromas last year.

- Mark
Yeah, results viewable at http://games2009.crossfit.com/men-results.html (wfs). Holmberg failed to make the day-2 cut after event 5.

Since the discussions of this year's Games programming has cited the lack of tests in the Strength, Sprinting and Extra-long areas, he got first in the deadlift, but faired poorly on the long run and the sandbag sprint.

Essentially, this programming was ideal for him, but he would still have been competitive for the podium with a larger strength element.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:32 AM   #23
Britt Dowling

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Mahoney View Post
That was so inspiring. I need to work harder.
Exactly what I thought and said to myself while I was watching it...to see every one of those athletes barely moving but still moving none the less was a HUGE inspiration.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:33 AM   #24
Justin McCallon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R O'Dell View Post
So where did Rich come from? I haven't really heard much about him until the games. Was he another out of nowhere competitor?
He also finished first in Tennessee. And he really crushed our Regional. He's strong, too -- he hit a 325lb Clean after doing 1 clean per minute with ramping weight.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:29 PM   #25
Corina Kelepouris

Profile:

For anyone who has worked out at Rogue Fitness in New Albany, it is no surprise that they have, and will continue to produce extraordinary athletes. Each class is littered with fire breathers and they all push each other to the next level.

Graham was the guy they chased before because he was good, but now he is THE benchmark for them to chase.

It is hard to believe, but the intensity at Rogue is going to be ratcheted up another notch after this.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:46 PM   #26
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Wright View Post
I'll be surprised if Rich Froning doesn't have a pretty serious injury from that fall. Fractured coccyx, sacrum, pelvis, or SI joint injury. He was limping pretty good at the awards ceremony. Hope thats not the case, but he landed hard, in a bad position.
I just saw confirmation on Facebook that RFJr has a fractured heel. Someone from his box (Crossfit Mayhem) confirmed.

- Mark
Old 07-19-2010, 10:15 PM   #27
Jon Houle

Profile:

Not surprised at all; that was a long fall. Let's hope he recovers well. Again, no pads at the bottom of a 20ft rope climb combined with the last event of a > 20min workout boggles my mind. If there was someone in charge of safety for this this (which I assume there wasn't so it probably falls on Castro's hands) he should be fired. Also, they're lucky Kristi Phillips (I think, not sure if it was her) didn't get a concussion when she fell off. Her head whipped back but I think she saved it.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:29 PM   #28
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:

I would just like to commend CF for the professionalism they brought to the competition and internet broadcast. The stadium equipment, the organization, the use of multiple cameras and replay, the quality of the announcers, everything, was just top notch.

Having been involved on a minor level with trying to organize events from time to time, I am well aware that nothing just happens, you have to make it happen. It is so easy for an event to become a disaster just because of a failure to plan ahead. Obviously, CrossFit HQ invested tons of time, effort and money from a lot of different organizations and people to make this such a well run success.

It is time for CrossFit to take those tapes and approach a major sports network regarding a broadcasting deal. We definitely have a great product, and it has broad appeal. There are millions of people in the United States alone who are interested in fitness and would enjoy watching the competition. Once CrossFit becomes a nationally televised sport, the support from advertisers and sponsors and the increased public visibility will cause it to explode. Mark my words, CrossFit is where the UFC was fifteen years ago.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:34 PM   #29
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin R. Greene View Post

It is time for CrossFit to take those tapes and approach a major sports network regarding a broadcasting deal. We definitely have a great product, and it has broad appeal. There are millions of people in the United States alone who are interested in fitness and would enjoy watching the competition. Once CrossFit becomes a nationally televised sport, the support from advertisers and sponsors and the increased public visibility will cause it to explode. Mark my words, CrossFit is where the UFC was fifteen years ago.
I don't see how it ever makes it above a Strongman like level. Strongman has it's niche' but isn't by any means mainstream. But, you will see it during the day sometimes on ESPN2!
Old 07-20-2010, 05:34 AM   #30
Josh Wright

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
I just saw confirmation on Facebook that RFJr has a fractured heel. Someone from his box (Crossfit Mayhem) confirmed.

- Mark
I'd say he's lucky as hell. Just about anything else would have probably held much greater long term consequences.