CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 07-18-2010, 12:25 PM   #1
Gaines DuVall

Profile:
Something seems different. re: The Games

Is it just me, or do some of the "stronger" guys not seem as "strong" in the games? Watching their WOD and regional videos, I was expecting a lot more from some of the guys that were know for throwing up huge weight.

Maybe it's just me. Or does anyone else notice it?
Old 07-18-2010, 12:27 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Something seems different. re: The Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaines DuVall View Post
Is it just me, or do some of the "stronger" guys not seem as "strong" in the games? Watching their WOD and regional videos, I was expecting a lot more from some of the guys that were know for throwing up huge weight.

You try putting up the heavy weight after 5 all-out workouts in the previous 2 days and tell me how you do.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:33 PM   #3
Gaines DuVall

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
You try putting up the heavy weight after 5 all-out workouts in the previous 2 days and tell me how you do.
yeah yeah, I know. I couldnt do it either. But seriously. I am not Rob Orlando or Jason Kahlipa. I was just thinking that they would be doing better. Guess nobody else notices it.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:36 PM   #4
Kyle Ngo

Profile:

Fatigue?
Old 07-18-2010, 12:38 PM   #5
Kieran Barry

Profile:

Quote:

Totally.

There's a possible WOD design explanation. The WODs seemed to avoid pure tests of strength or power.

Didn't watch Saturday, but Orlando blew up on the clean/RHSPU WOD on Sunday partly because he tried to muscle through and burned out.

The "90 second overhead" event seems to have been short enough that people simply didn't think it through. But it's a trick that should only work once. Next year, everyone with a decent coach will know how many lifts they can manage in a particular time.

The deadlift/pistol/DU workout required a lot of precision.

But it's also the case that extreme strength without technique hasn't won previously, in the same way that extreme metcon speed with limited strength (ie Speal) hasn't won. I suspect people may have sacrificed some strength directing their training to broader capacity.

But let's not ignore how Froning and Holmburg have done. Holmburg's DL is 505, the top of the range last year. Coincidence? I don't think so. The two leaders have shown a level of virtuosity to be envied. They either lucked out, or planned their strength work to be strong enough to contend, and they got it right.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:50 PM   #6
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
yeah yeah, I know. I couldnt do it either. But seriously. I am not Rob Orlando or Jason Kahlipa. I was just thinking that they would be doing better. Guess nobody else notices it.
so you're saying you know fatigue is a factor.....

but you're still saying they're not as strong as their numbers,

You're not making sense at all.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:18 PM   #7
Gaines DuVall

Profile:

Quote:
so you're saying you know fatigue is a factor.....

but you're still saying they're not as strong as their numbers,

You're not making sense at all.
Ok, Steven. I guess I dont make sense to you.

To further explain, I have seen video's of certain athletes put up HUGE weight during WOD's that should fatigue them. But, I dont see that during the games from some of the same guys.

Here is one example) Rob Orlando's make Clean & Jerk is 325 and DJ Wickam's is 275. But in the overheard max, Rob hit 245 and DJ hit 325. And yes, I understand that fatigue is a factor. And yes, I understand that the CJ isn't exactly the same as an overhead max.

So lets forget exact numbers and just look at rankings. It seems to me that some guys who are normally stronger on the powerlifts and oly lifts, aren't ranking as high as I had thought on WOD's involving them.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:25 PM   #8
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Ok, Steven. I guess I dont make sense to you.

To further explain, I have seen video's of certain athletes put up HUGE weight during WOD's that should fatigue them. But, I dont see that during the games from some of the same guys.

Here is one example) Rob Orlando's make Clean & Jerk is 325 and DJ Wickam's is 275. But in the overheard max, Rob hit 245 and DJ hit 325. And yes, I understand that fatigue is a factor. And yes, I understand that the CJ isn't exactly the same as an overhead max.

So lets forget exact numbers and just look at rankings. It seems to me that some guys who are normally stronger on the powerlifts and oly lifts, aren't ranking as high as I had thought on WOD's involving them.
You have to realize these are self reported numbers.

Some athletes haven't tested their maxes in a while so their max may actually be MUCH MORE than what was reported.

DJ also finished nearly last in the helen workout 44th (of 45) and thus didnt complete as much work as the other guys... hence less fatigue for the max overhead.

In fact, if you consider that DJ did not finish his last set of pullups and some KB swings, and all of hte pulling muscles are used as stabilizers on overhead... you can say he had a significant advantage with less overall work, and fresher stabilizers going into max overhead

Rob on the other hand finished 12th (of 45) in the helen workout coming in extremely fatigued for the max overhead having gone all out on the first part. We didnt see all his lifts... maybe he missed at 300. Again, fatigue factor...

I think you're underestimating the amount of fatigue and the certain circumstances that the athletes are under.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:29 PM   #9
Gaines DuVall

Profile:

Quote:
You have to realize these are self reported numbers.

Some athletes haven't tested their maxes in a while so their max may actually be MUCH MORE than what was reported.

DJ also finished nearly last in the helen workout 44th (of 45) and thus didnt complete as much work as the other guys... hence less fatigue for the max overhead.

In fact, if you consider that DJ did not finish his last set of pullups and some KB swings, and all of hte pulling muscles are used as stabilizers on overhead... you can say he had a significant advantage with less overall work, and fresher stabilizers going into max overhead

Rob on the other hand finished 12th (of 45) in the helen workout coming in extremely fatigued for the max overhead having gone all out on the first part. We didnt see all his lifts... maybe he missed at 300. Again, fatigue factor...

I think you're underestimating the amount of fatigue and the certain circumstances that the athletes are under.
Good point.

Is there drug testing this year?
Old 07-18-2010, 01:38 PM   #10
Kyle Ngo

Profile:

Yes there is.