CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 07-06-2010, 12:55 PM   #1
Brian D Williams

Profile:
5:2 programming - where to find?

Hi,

So the message board search engine won't allow "5:2" in a search term (this should get changed imo) and I've been unable to turn up a good answer using other searches. So...

Where can I find 'main page quality' 5:2 programming?

And as a subquestion - why doesn't the main page also list this, especially since it's specifically discussed in L1 certs, the journal, etc. It would be great if they had both options.

Thanks for any help!
Brian
Old 07-06-2010, 01:20 PM   #2
Sam Ser

Profile:
Re: 5:2 programming - where to find?

for starters, there was this thread (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread...e+days+two+off WFS) a few days ago.

i think there are also a few affiliates that program that way. i'm sure you could ask the owners about their programming.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:22 PM   #3
Brent Eno

Profile:

The reason why(you might know this) HQ uses 3:1 is because it is very hard to sustain the intensity required to do CF WODs 5 days in a row. By the end of the third WOD, your power output is significantly diminished, according to HQ. If you want to program like this though and feel like you can handle 5 days in a row, go for it. But I'm not aware of any continuous programming in that fashion.

That means you will have to program yourself. Maybe pick and choose from the different sites, like the main page, CF football, endurance...Maybe do a metcon Monday, heavy lift Tues, metcon Wed, heavy Thurs, metcon Fri. Whatever you think you can do, as long as you can maintain intensity and don't get burnt out in the middle of the week. Just be careful, and listen to your body.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:32 PM   #4
Krista Fudge

Profile:

If you're looking to make your own WODs, here is the template for CrossFit programming, including the 5:2 option. (wfs)

http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf...F_Template.pdf

If you're looking to follow another affiliates WODs, find your favorite. Many affiliates do 5:2. Some of my favs are (all wfs):
CrossFit LA www.crossfitla.com
Next Level Performance www.crossfitnlp.com

or you can always check out mine
www.cosmic-fitness.com
Old 07-06-2010, 05:18 PM   #5
Brian D Williams

Profile:

Thanks for the responses. I am familiar with all of the stuff posted here, which is why I posted again. I understand that recovery on 5:2 is possibly an issue, but given it's shown in the theoretical template, it would be great to see someone who's much more skilled in programming than me (doesn't take much ), to put together 5:2 workouts of similar quality to 3:1 main page workouts. It's also key if you are training anyone who can't workout on Sat/Sun. Or how do other trainers cope with this? 2 on 1 off 2 on 2 off?

For the links Krista posted - are these really programmed as 5:2. For example, when I look at Next Level's site, they post 6 workouts per week. Are you just skipping the 6th workout and using for 5:2 or just taking whatever workouts you like? Again, I'm obv not a seasoned programmer but was hoping a few seasoned ones would weigh in.

Thanks again!
Old 07-06-2010, 05:40 PM   #6
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:

We've been doing 5 on/2 off for over a year now. See if you like it & may be it'll fit your needs.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:07 AM   #7
Krista Fudge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian D Williams View Post
For the links Krista posted - are these really programmed as 5:2. For example, when I look at Next Level's site, they post 6 workouts per week. Are you just skipping the 6th workout and using for 5:2 or just taking whatever workouts you like? Again, I'm obv not a seasoned programmer but was hoping a few seasoned ones would weigh in.

Thanks again!
You're right. Most affiliates program assuming that most clients only show up 3 to 4 times a week. It's hard to do five intense WODs in a row unless you're a super human animal. As Brent said, maybe program a strength day in there, or even just a "technique day". Go over handstands, pose running, or an olympic lift technique with light weight (whatever might be a weakness for you). Something like that would be good for a thursday. It would give your body a chance to recover, but you're still going through the movements.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:32 AM   #8
Ryan Earle

Profile:

www.crossfitfairfax.com (Worksafe) has great 6:1 programming. They program Monday through Saturday (I don't think you are expected to do all 6 WoDs though).
Old 07-07-2010, 04:43 PM   #9
Zack Dunn

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krista Debrick View Post
If you're looking to make your own WODs, here is the template for CrossFit programming, including the 5:2 option. (wfs)

http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf...F_Template.pdf
Thank you for this! I've been looking for this particular content.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:41 PM   #10
Jade Jenny

Profile:

Pretty sure that Sami at CF New Hampshire does 5 on 2 off programing. I think he has Saturday programmed as a make up day from what I recall.