CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-20-2010, 11:07 AM   #1
Jean-Paul Lara

Profile:
To those who do IF...

I've been doing STRICT paleo for the past 3 months now and have gotten to reading The Primal Blueprint and i'm thinking that this stuff is more up my alley mainly due to the fact that i don't really consume that many carbs, usually 50g a day, most times less...so i've been doing IF once a week not planned, just some mornings where i don't feel hungry and i don't eat until 11am. But i've been finding that I could go even longer without eating, possibly an entire day. I've also been tracking progress on website WODs and i'm still getting stronger and hitting PRs. I'm decreasing in bodyweight definitely though.

just wanted to know what was the longest time you've gone without a meal/IF'ing and still saw gains?
Old 05-20-2010, 11:37 AM   #2
Brad Gutting

Profile:
Re: To those who do IF...

Longer than 24 hours is going to be difficult, though it's not impossible--I personally haven't lasted more than about 26 hours, and it wasn't pleasant. Some folks like to do a "36" every now and then. I have no experience with trying to maintain a 3-on, 1-off CFWOD schedule while fasting that much, but, you could give it a shot if you're feeling particularly adventurous. At some point though, you likely WILL hit a wall. You've gotta eat enough calories to fuel recovery. Many people don't eat enough to support their activity levels.

I've heard stories about people making gains on regular 14-16 hour fasts. If you plan on doing any endurance-oriented sports, I do not recommend that however.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:12 PM   #3
James Forshaw

Profile:

I do fine with fasts ranging between 15-24 hours, 5-6 times a week. I've hit metcon and strength PRs at the tail end of long fasts so I don't believe it to be an issue personally. The longest I've fasted is 39 hours. Combined with paleo (as you no doubt know), it is a very potent tool for fat loss. The fact that you can perform well with it too just makes it all the better.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:22 PM   #4
Brian Castillo

Profile:

I too tried it after reading Primal Blueprint. First time was planned, now I do it when the mood hits me. Meaning, If I'm not hungry, I don't eat.

Longest I've gone, off memory is 18hrs-ish.

good luck
Old 05-21-2010, 11:51 AM   #5
Meredith Launius

Profile:

16 to 20 hr fast worked for me on my sprinting days.I would just use my PWO lunch to refuel and break fast. Recently got back on the horse with it..,.so far so good.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:16 PM   #6
Jean-Paul Lara

Profile:

Just finished a full week of IF'ing breakfast not eating until 11am. It's definitely something I don't think I can do for a long time. WODs have been good, nothing negative to say as far as strength and times. But it's more like I'm nearing that "wall." Not there yet, but I know it's near. I guess I'll just leave the IF to about once a week. I guess it's easy to sleep in a little in the morning and not prepare breakfast and call it an IF. lol!
Old 05-21-2010, 01:25 PM   #7
Meredith Launius

Profile:

IF should never be done the day after poor sleep! Super detrimental and totally counter productive. Once a week worked for me ..I just downgraded to once/week, cortisol becomes an issue.
Old 05-21-2010, 03:08 PM   #8
Robert Woller

Profile:

I've considered trying this once a week. If I understand it correctly you are supposed to IF on days you workout right?
Old 05-21-2010, 04:39 PM   #9
Mike Kelley

Profile:

I do IF all the time, every day. I've never experienced any problems.

I follow a 16 hr fast/8hr eat time frame. Workouts are all fasted, with a BCAA mixture prior to working out (this doesn't have enough impact to break the fast).

I'm also tracking calories and going about 80% paleo. Maintenance on days I lift, 500 calories below maintenance on off days. I'm recomping slowly, but nicely.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:22 PM   #10
Jean-Paul Lara

Profile:
Thumbs up Re: To those who do IF...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelley View Post
I do IF all the time, every day. I've never experienced any problems.

I follow a 16 hr fast/8hr eat time frame. Workouts are all fasted, with a BCAA mixture prior to working out (this doesn't have enough impact to break the fast).

I'm also tracking calories and going about 80% paleo. Maintenance on days I lift, 500 calories below maintenance on off days. I'm recomping slowly, but nicely.
interesting...sounds like what I've been doing. Maybe I'm just worried about nothing. I'll try it for another week and see how it goes.