CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-02-2010, 08:36 PM   #1
Ramsey Abdulrahim

Profile:
Question Three-a-days possible with enough rest/food?

I know it is generally ill-advised to take on too much extra workload, but what if someone has the benefit of not working, having no responsibilities, and the ability to sleep at will? If someone can dedicate themselves completely to training, can sleep 12+ hours a night, eats enough good food, etc. would it be feasible to actively strength train (SS, 5/3/1, 5x5, etc.), do WODs, do CF Endurance and maybe even throw in some plyometrics work?

With enough food/recovery, would someone generally speaking expect to see gains with this much volume?
Old 04-02-2010, 08:43 PM   #2
Thomas Bailly

Profile:
Re: Three-a-days possible with enough rest/food?

that's what the pros do.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:44 PM   #3
Kevin Shaughnessy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsey Abdulrahim View Post
I know it is generally ill-advised to take on too much extra workload, but what if someone has the benefit of not working, having no responsibilities, and the ability to sleep at will? If someone can dedicate themselves completely to training, can sleep 12+ hours a night, eats enough good food, etc. would it be feasible to actively strength train (SS, 5/3/1, 5x5, etc.), do WODs, do CF Endurance and maybe even throw in some plyometrics work?

With enough food/recovery, would someone generally speaking expect to see gains with this much volume?
SS with WODs and crossfit endurance all at the same time? I highly doubt it, but I could be wrong.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:44 PM   #4
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

For how long? Some Games athletes might ramp up to three-a-days as part of their preparation, but it would be really tough to sustain for any length of time.

Strength and endurance are somewhat conflicting adaptations, too, so you might get better results by a periodization approach. You would *definitely* get better results by working with a coach to design a custom program, rather than simply bolting a bunch of stuff together.

Katherine
Old 04-02-2010, 09:12 PM   #5
Scott A Martin

Profile:

The relevant question is not whether you can make progress with your plan, but whether you will progress faster than you would doing something different. It may be possible to make progress across the board doing SS + WOD + CFE, however, my guess is that your progress will come slowly and you could achieve better results with more thoughtful programming.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:13 PM   #6
Thomas Bailly

Profile:

Rereading your post....what I mean by "that's what the pros do" is train 3 to 6 hours a day depending on their needs, but their training is periodized, intelligently structured and incorporates plenty of active recovery.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:25 PM   #7
Ramsey Abdulrahim

Profile:

Well I was looking to do something along these lines

Day 1: Lift (BS, PP), Metcon WOD
Day 2: Lift (Clean), Metcon WOD, CF Endurance in afternoon
Day 3: CF Endurance
Day 4: Lift (BP, DL), CF Endurance in afternoon
Day 5: Lift (BS), Metcon WOD
Day 6: Metcon WOD, CF Endurance in afternoon
Day 7: CF Endurance
Day 1/8: Lift, Metcon WOD, CF Endurance in afternoon
etc. with CF Endurance cycling through 3:1 and Metcons on 2on:2off:2on:1off schedule

As you can see, rest days would only occur when the CF Endurance 3:1 cycle just happens to be off on either day 3 or day 7 of the week.

More thoughtful programming, intelligently structured... like what? Do you mean a strength cycle of 4 weeks, then a speed/endurance cycle of a lot of running for 4 weeks, then GPP (lots of metcons) for 4 weeks? Something like that?

I was considering that but I would hope to still get some strength gains past the first 4 weeks and I still want to build an endurance base ahead of time and not devote only 4 weeks to improve run time (which I don't think can be done sufficiently in only 4 weeks). How does periodization work?

Last edited by Ramsey Abdulrahim : 04-02-2010 at 09:28 PM.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:32 PM   #8
Thomas Bailly

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsey Abdulrahim View Post

More thoughtful programming, intelligently structured... like what? Do you mean a strength cycle of 4 weeks, then a speed/endurance cycle of a lot of running for 4 weeks, then GPP (lots of metcons) for 4 weeks? Something like that?
How does periodization work?
Ask a professional or you could be asking for trouble....
Old 04-02-2010, 09:35 PM   #9
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

I think to have any hope of making something like that work you need at least one full rest day a week, and probably one low intensity/active recovery day. You would also need to build up to that level of volume. If you jump from standard 3-1 mainpage WODs into that, you'd be lucky to last a week. What's your starting point?

Katherine
Old 04-02-2010, 09:42 PM   #10
Ramsey Abdulrahim

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Bailly View Post
Ask a professional or you could be asking for trouble....
But which professionals are credible? I've seen "offseason football lifting" routines on bodybuilding.com and t-nation.com which seemed somewhat geared towards what I'm trying to achieve. Are they credible? Also, they explicitly said things like "This is only the lifting program, track work and GPP is not included"... if CF Endurance is the track work and Metcon WODs is GPP, then I would be right back to square one with virtually what I had originally, except with even more lifts, assistance lifts, and even plyometrics.

(and to clarify, my training is for military purposes, not football or another sport. I just thought football strength and conditioning would be along the lines of what I need)

Last edited by Ramsey Abdulrahim : 04-02-2010 at 09:45 PM.