CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 03-30-2010, 08:03 PM   #1
Ben Cornwell

Profile:
Rings - Difference between wood & metal?

Hi all,

I'm looking at acquiring a set of rings & noticed they generally seem to be made from either wood or metal (some type of alum). Anyone care to offer opinions or recommendations about the different types of construction?

The set I've been using to date belong to mate and are made from plastic/fibreglass. How would these compare to a wood or metal set?

cheers,

Ben
Old 04-01-2010, 01:38 PM   #2
James R. Climer

Profile:
Re: Rings - Difference between wood & metal?

Wood is probably the most expensive and/or difficult to do yourself and get it acceptably right (although most satisfying if you do get it right).

I personally like the feel and 'correct' combination of tackiness and slip
on the grip of wooden rings. The wood seems to hold chalk for a long time.
Old 04-03-2010, 02:09 AM   #3
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Wood is really nice. I don't know what the shipping would be on the Rogue Wood rings but they are promising. Gymnastic spec wood rings tend to be very expensive. If you buy them from a Gymnastics Supply, you can expect to pay 150-200$ w/o shipping. Yeah.

Rogue rings would cost about $72 bucks for their big rings or gymnastic spec. $40 for shipping to AU.

The composite material rings are very useable. I love my set of GymnasticBodies rings as do my guys (these also hold chalk well as some chalk is sorta of rubbed on it since my guys always have chalk on their hands in the ring area). There are probably another half dozen brands of rings using similar materials but generally they differ in the ring texture or if they are Ringtraining.com's EXF rings with the 3 different grips. Most of the buckle systems are about the same besides the EXF rings.

I'm not sure there is anywhere in Australia that is shipping out rings but you might want to look into that as well.

With metal, you have to watch out that you won't hit yourself in the head and it would get suck to get hit in the mouth. Nothing really horrible. Some metal rings have no texture which means you need to wrap them with athletic or tennis wrap tape, The Rogue do have a texture that is good though but I prefer gymnastics spec (small hands). They also carry gymnastic spec sized rings as well.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:27 PM   #4
Andrew Breyer

Profile:

I too have heard that wooden rings are much more expensive. I'd imagine that there's a certain feel that carrys over into competition. I did see rogue's "economy" wooden rings.. looks promising.

That said, I use the composite and have had no problems. As far as grip, I taped the bottom half with white tape.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:43 PM   #5
Damon Stewart

Profile:

I can't give a specific reason wood rings are better...they just are. I also prefer the gymnatics spec. I've owned metal, plastic, & wood of various brands & diameters.
Old 04-04-2010, 04:22 AM   #6
Nicolas Scott Gruber

Profile:

The rogue wood rings are great, and my favorite of all the rings I have tried. They have a natural stickiness to them and seem to hold chalk very well.

I really don't like the metal rings, though others seem to be okay with them.

The EFX rings are great. I don't like the rubber grips, but they can be taken off so they feel like the old Elite rings, which are what I have and really like.

I am not a fan of the power max rings. The straps are a pain and I don't like how they feel, but the pair I have are very old and they may have updated them since.

I believe the Elite rings are a little cheaper than the rogue wood rings, but with shipping I have no idea. I'm sure any pair you get will work just fine for crossfit things, and if you never know any different it really won't matter.
Old 04-04-2010, 06:12 AM   #7
Albert Chang

Profile:

Any comparison between the Rogue and Again Faster Wood Rings? This thread has been helpful.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:29 AM   #8
Jesse Gray

Profile:

I have the Rogue wooden rings and their metal rings and I like both for different reasons. The two big differences between them are the weight and the tack. The metal rings are much heavier and a bit smoother. The Wood rings, light and a much more grippy feel. Imagine the difference between rubbing your hand on a piece of plywood or metal with a non-gloss paint on it. I have found that the the wood rings are great for rows, advanced stuff like levers, crosses and low rep muscle up. I don't like to do a ton of muscle ups on them though because they are so grippy, it starts to really tear my wrists up. If I'm doing 30 MUs for time, I would much prefer to do them on the metal rings. With the metal rings, the weight is nice at times. It makes them feel a bit more stable for dips/push ups and it makes them a little easier to adjust for height (not that either of these issues are really a big deal). Some of the people I train just like the feel a lot better as well.

My biggest gripes about the metal rings are that when they swing and hit you, it hurts and to a lesser extent, I don't like the noise they make when they clang together.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:56 AM   #9
Kris Warner

Profile:

1) Our first prototypes of wooden rings were made by hand and we never released these on the market for the following reasons:

1. Safety- cannot control (to our standards) the amount of force applied and an even adhesive distribution when gluing plywood together in a wood shop.
2. Tolerances-nearly impossible to align 4 quarter circles to within 0.001. You can sand away the ridges but this diminishes point 3 and 4 below.
3. Concentricity- nearly impossible no matter how good your jig is to keep the rings concentric by hand
4. Quality- we did not want to simply glue 2 sheets of thin plywood together

2) All Rogue Wooden Rings (WFS) are CNCd. We experimented with doing these by hand with a router and shaping tools. The results were not up to Rogue standards due to the inability to control reference datums to the nearest thousandth of an inch like we can with a CNC.

3) All Rogue Wooden rings start at approx 1.350 thick Finnish Birch plywood that is made to our specification direct from the factory. We do not glue two pieces of thin plywood together like some have suggested. There is a difference in applying 40 tons on a press in a controlled manufacturing environment with an even pressure and adhesive distribution and gluing some plywood together in your wood shop.

4) Weve tested our wooden rings to over 1000 pounds.

As a fellow carpenter and DIY'er I love all the homemade gear I see on these boards. But we cannot sell homemade gear to the masses.

Kris
Old 04-05-2010, 09:25 AM   #10
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:

Rogue's regular wood ones are my favorite. Not a huge fan of gymnastic spec ones since I'm 6'3" and my hands are a bit bigger than normal.