CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:08 PM   #1
Serge Sarkissian

Profile:
Crossfit and Relationships

While I have heard many stories of Crossfit strengthening marriages of couples who Crossfit together. I have always wondered if marriages have weakened or fallen apart due to the aesthetic gains that Crossfit provides. When a husband or wife practices or begins to pursue Crossfit by themselves does this lead to a divide of philosophy and lifestyle? When one's aesthetic value increases does this lead to the "fitter" spouse leaving the marriage looking for a more appealing mate? I'd be curious of stories you have experienced or that of your friends. I don't mean to pry in personal lives, I am only curious to what effect this has on our self image in relationships and what rules I should be living by as I progress my future in Crossfit. I am a 21 y/o male student at UC Berkeley and have been Crossfitting for just over 8 months, though marriage is far from my mind I desire the wisdom of my elders and those from experience as to how Crossfit will be affecting my relationships. How important is it that I use Crossfit as a measure in my future relationships? Thank you for reading this post.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:22 PM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: CrossFit and Relationships

In my experience, looks are most important in the early stages of a relationship. As the relationship matures, shared interests and values become much more important. Crossfit or not, no one looks 21 forever.

The big risk from Crossfit (or any other time consuming pursuit that isn't shared) is not that the "more attractive" partner will leave, but that the other partner will feel abandoned. There's a line between taking care of one's appearance and narcissism; don't cross it if you want happy relationships.

Katherine
Old 04-24-2009, 04:08 AM   #3
John Orcutt

Profile:

Looks do not equal commitment.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:52 AM   #4
Tirzah Harper

Profile:

CrossFitting on one's own might be the straw to break the camel's back, but it isn't enough to singlehandedly destroy an otherwise good relationship. It could be a symptom of bigger problems, or it could just be a simple reality of life.

I think having different priorities in any area requires compromise, and if the differences are too great, there's trouble. But I've done CrossFit on my own with no ill results to my marriage.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:08 AM   #5
Brian Bedell

Profile:

OP, don't worry about prying into personal relationships here in the community section; we live for that! lol

I'm just a lil' confused why someone not married is curious about being married and then being in shape while their mate is not. I think that if a girl that CF's or is active is one of your needs, then you should only marry a girl that shares this interest. Don't settle for less.

Of course, as you get older, this girl may not be in the same shape she is in at 21, but I'm sure you will love her for many other reasons at that point. Find someone with an active lifestyle and you will be set.

Or only date girls in their 20's, this works too. FYI.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:07 AM   #6
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

THe fitter spouse leaving is as much of a problem as the less fit spouse. I was dating a girl pretty seriously and we would work out together, not all the time, but at least twice a week. We both worked out more than that, but that what we did together.

THen she stopped working out. Started going to the bar or just hanging out. I didn't want to stay in a watch TV, I didn't want to sit a the bar on a tuesday night, I didn't want to get pizza again, so she found someone who would.

If you take Brians advice I have one suggestion; rubber sheets.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:59 AM   #7
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Hmm...does age counteract the need for rubber sheets??

ANYWAY...my gf announced last night that she wanted to join my gym after school was over (May 8). I attempted to tell her that it's all diet, but if she could manage to at least walk around the block 3x per week for two weeks then she could go to the gym.

Usually when someone asks me to give them a workout and they have never worked out before, I give them this task. Then I never hear from them again. I mean if you can't walk 3x per week, you are not going to attend a gym regularly.

She complained it was too hot to walk outdoors.

This is what you are up against Serge!
Old 04-24-2009, 10:05 AM   #8
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Brian,

You are killing my dream, one post at a time.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:09 AM   #9
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Don't worry, I'm not. The good stuff is not wfs.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:15 AM   #10
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
Brian,

You are killing my dream, one post at a time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bedell View Post
Don't worry, I'm not. The good stuff is not wfs.
bahahahahahaha