CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-11-2009, 10:09 AM   #1
Jeremy Priestner

Profile:
Soccer Ankle Injury - Need Rehab Advice

I fractured my ankle playing soccer back in September. After getting an x-ray, I was told that my ankle was merely sprained. However, the pain continued and I visited an orthopedist in March. He confirmed that I had had a tibial plafond fracture and sent me for an MRI to see if there was any other damage in the area.

The MRI report reads:

-Findings consistent with a nonacute fracture of the posterior malleolus

-Tendinosis and possible focal longitudinal split of the peroneus longus tendon just distal to the lateral malleolus

-Talocrural joint effusion

Has anyone else ever had an injury like this? I'm trying to decide if I should still play tennis (at my school) or just rest my ankle for a while. The pain seems to be getting worse the more I work the area (i.e. when I play tennis). The orthopedist said I could get cortisone shots if the pain grew more intense but this sounded completely absurd to me; i'd rather just let the ankle heal itself.

As to my level of activity right now, the majority of stress to the ankle is coming from tennis. My exercise regimen has been converted to gymnastics to reduce stress and allow time for healing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Old 04-11-2009, 10:44 AM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Soccer Ankle Injury - Need Rehab Advice

Dude, if you fractured your ankle and have trauma to your tendons and lots of swelling......

why are you still up on your ankle and trying to do things on it?
WHY did the ankle not heal since September?
What happened to resting and physical therapy?

You know you are risking PERMANENT injury by doing activities on it?

Sounds like either you and/or your docs/PT botched your recovery.......... just saying.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:47 AM   #3
Jeremy Priestner

Profile:

Thanks for the reply... i might not have been clear on the details of my injury and the intent of my previous post.

Well, i DID rest for two weeks after the initial injury (remember, I was told it was just a sprain). I continued to rest after the season ended from the beginning of November to the end of March (I did some PT on my own as well as in a more formal setting). There is NOT a lot of swelling in/ around the ankle. Pain occurs for the most part at the extremes of extension/ contraction.

According to my orthopedic, the only thing I need to look out for is pain in the peroneous longus b/c I have tendonitis there. Since I have virtually no pain in that area, I have continued to play, albeit cautiously.

I, however, I am very scared that the orthopedist's advice is misplaced. That is why I made the first post, to see if and how much I should be stressing the ankle.

I am completely okay with dropping tennis for the moment until I have completely recovered. Would that be the best thing?

Also, if I stop playing do you think I would be able to deadlifts and presses in addition to the gymnastics I'm working on? I tried a light deadlift and there was no pain, however, is putting ANY additional weight on the bone a bad idea?

Thanks, Jeremy
Old 04-12-2009, 06:15 PM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

Dude, I'd get a second opinion as well multiple physical therapists opinion as well if possible.

I don't want to mislead you or anything, but I'd focus on getting back to 100% health before trying to play sports or do anything that may potentially aggravate your condition.

That's my take on it at least.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:48 PM   #5
Jeremy Priestner

Profile:

Yeah, I think you're right. It's just been really hard to find a good therapist and doctor. My trainer at school was quite good throughout the soccer season, however, and he said he knows a good orthopedist, so I may go through him.