CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-09-2009, 09:19 AM   #1
David Meverden

Profile:
Are you paleo people really sugar free? Totally?

As part of my hard routine (see signature) I'm going strict paleo. Today I was at the grocery store stocking up on paleo food and was going to buy nothing with added sugar in it. Well, I couldn't find ANY sausage, bacon, or off the shelf lunch meat that did not have sugar (or some equivalent) listed somewhere on the ingredients. I guess if sugar is the 6th ingredient in something it will probably have a negligible dietary impact, but it's the PRINCIPLE of it!

So, those of you who are paleo or sugar free: what do you consider sugar free? Do you forgot ANYTHING that has any kind of sugar ANYWHERE on the ingredients? Do you feel that something counts as sugar free if the "sugar" or "corn syrup" is buried deep enough in the ingredient list (I hear people talk about bacon around here all the time. Does bacon exist that isn't cured at least, in part, with sugar?)?

Do you think I should stick to my guns and forgo the bacon and lunch meat to stay true to the spirit of my "hard routine"? It would be harder that way, but will it be impractical? Should I compromise? Thanks for the opinions everyone.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:43 AM   #2
Frank Dennis

Profile:
Re: Are you paleo people really sugar free? Totally?

For myself, I'm not strictly paleo (I do dairy), but I am "strictly" refined-sugar free; the only sugars I eat are those that come naturally in the milk I drink and the fruits I eat.

"Strictly" lives in quotation marks, though, because now and again I have a cheat, usually of some sort of dessert-y variety.

If you can afford it and have the prep time (and I can help you with that, send me a PM, I've got a whole plan worked out for myself you could adapt and adopt), I'd forego all the processed lunchmeat. Actually, if you're going strictly paleo, there really shouldn't be a "list of ingredients" on most of what you eat. except for condiments, and even those should be pretty limited. I'd suggest you develop a taste for Tabasco, if you don't already have one... only, I think, three items on that ingredient list.

As for bacon, the only stuff I've found locally is Carolina Pride no-sugar/no-nitrates (I forget what the sub-brand is actually called). I get that at Wal-Mart, of all places. Those who eat it more often can probably give you better recommendations on brands...
Old 03-09-2009, 10:23 AM   #3
Brandon Head

Profile:

I generally try to prescribe to no sugars in any form other than natural. That means I have to make up days worth of fresh meats, always have nuts on hand, a stockpile of fresh veggies and bagged frozen, plenty of olive oil and cocnut oil, eggs, and fresh cut bacon (although this usually has a lot more salt for preservation purposes). If you stick with that, you'll find that its really not that difficult to stay away from processed sugar. Lunch meat is terrible in general and I would avoid it anyways. Condiments as said in the previous post are a sticky situation. There is a bunch of garbage out there. Start experimenting with your own concoctions. All that being said, I am a sucker for the occasional trip to Marble Slab...
Old 03-09-2009, 10:41 AM   #4
Daniel Mays

Profile:

I'd say don't let perfect become the enemy of good. I am paleo in theory, but yes if you count the sugar in bacon(like 1 gram maybe?) I'm not. I don't eat beef jerky anymore off the shelves because they had 7-8 grams of sugar per serving(a larger majority of calories).

Mark Sisson made a post on this where he stated it's better to be paleo from a normal grocery store and you'll still get many of the benefits if you can't afford or find all the super natural food.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:02 AM   #5
Alex Swiader

Profile:

I found this link on Jay Cohen's blog and it's full of recipes and good info about the Paleo lifestyle.

http://www.feelgoodeating.blogspot.com/ (W/F/S)

You'll notice that he uses bacon quite a bit in his meals. I guess it boils down to personal preference and finding what works the best for you.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:02 AM   #6
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

You can probably find honey-cured meats if you look hard enough and are willing to pay enough. But at that point IMO it's more of a political decision than a nutritional one. Honey may be paleo, but it sure looks like sugar to your body. I'd be more worried about the other junk that goes into most cured meats.

Katherine
Old 03-09-2009, 11:34 AM   #7
Charly Aurelia

Profile:

I am able to get local, pastured pork bacon and sausage here. It does have some sugar in it, but it is minimal, especially considering that I only eat those a couple times a month.

That is the only 'processed' meat I eat.

I've been paleo for about three years now.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:15 PM   #8
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

SO are you saying the 5lbs bag of sugar I'm eating isn't paleo?
Old 03-09-2009, 01:25 PM   #9
Jack Stetson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Garrison View Post
SO are you saying the 5lbs bag of sugar I'm eating isn't paleo?
Not really. Strictly speaking a 5lb bag of sugar is considered a 'refined' vegetable. But the great thing about Paleo is that you only need to be a strict as you want to be.

DM --

I'm not strict Paleo either, but I won't buy anything with sugar in it. I expect that in the course of eating in the real world some sucrose and HFCS does cross my lips; I just try to avoid buying stuff I know contains sugar. BTW, I don't think Bacon is Paleo, so that's one less thing for you to worry about.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:27 PM   #10
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

I was actually being sarcastic