CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2009, 06:31 PM   #1
Lurene Grenier
Member Lurene Grenier is offline
 
Lurene Grenier's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Severna Park  MD
Posts: 144
Paleo for dogs!

At the request of a few people at our gym, my wife put together a basic intro article on how to feed your dog a raw meat diet, which is of course what your dog ought to be eating

I figured since the dog thread here is so popular, people might be interested in it.

http://metasploit.com/users/pusscat/...edingIntro.pdf (WFS)
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 03:48 AM   #2
Lela Kaunitz
Member Lela Kaunitz is offline
 
Lela Kaunitz's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sydney  NSW
Posts: 82
Re: Paleo for dogs!

Our Shepherd Cross does the dance of joy for his meaty meat dinners.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:23 AM   #3
Jay Cohen
Member Jay Cohen is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sharpsville  PA
Posts: 3,384
Re: Paleo for dogs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurene Grenier View Post
At the request of a few people at our gym, my wife put together a basic intro article on how to feed your dog a raw meat diet, which is of course what your dog ought to be eating

I figured since the dog thread here is so popular, people might be interested in it.

http://metasploit.com/users/pusscat/...edingIntro.pdf (WFS)
Lurene;

Thanks very much for the article. I feed Solid Gold to both of my dogs, but have considered the raw diet for a few months, but now plan to start working toward that diet, as I eat about 70% of my diet in meat/fish. My local butchers will have no problem supplying me the right combo of meats.
Please continue this thread, and I'll report my progress.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:02 AM   #4
Camille Lore
 
Profile:  
Posts: n/a
Re: Paleo for dogs!

I've been feeding my dog raw for at least a year now. The vet is always commenting on how nice her skin and coat are. I did have one vet say that they should get a multi-vitamin also, because it's hard to provide enough variety for them to get all of their vitamins.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:49 AM   #5
Lurene Grenier
Member Lurene Grenier is offline
 
Lurene Grenier's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Severna Park  MD
Posts: 144
Re: Paleo for dogs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cohen View Post
Lurene;

Thanks very much for the article. I feed Solid Gold to both of my dogs, but have considered the raw diet for a few months, but now plan to start working toward that diet, as I eat about 70% of my diet in meat/fish. My local butchers will have no problem supplying me the right combo of meats.
Please continue this thread, and I'll report my progress.
Awesome! I look forward to hearing how it's working out!
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:21 PM   #6
Jonathan Slater
Member Jonathan Slater is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sandbach  Cheshire
Posts: 468
Re: Paleo for dogs!

That's awesome. If I can get my wife on board, I'll give it a go.

Thanks for posting.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:27 PM   #7
Veronica Carpenter
Affiliate Veronica Carpenter is offline
 
Veronica Carpenter's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Oroville  CA
Posts: 2,709
Re: Paleo for dogs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camille Lore View Post
I've been feeding my dog raw for at least a year now. The vet is always commenting on how nice her skin and coat are. I did have one vet say that they should get a multi-vitamin also, because it's hard to provide enough variety for them to get all of their vitamins.
Why wouldn't they be able to get all they need from meat/organs/bone/ and vegies?
__________________
If it's sore - ice it. If it's torn - tape it. If it's heavy - lift it!
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:54 PM   #8
Camille Lore
 
Profile:  
Posts: n/a
Re: Paleo for dogs!

I'm not sure, really... I think the vet was coming from the angle that their diet might not be varied enough to hit a broad spectrum of nutrients.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:18 PM   #9
Ryan Jones
Member Ryan Jones is offline
 
Ryan Jones's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Long Beach  CA
Posts: 527
Re: Paleo for dogs!

If dogs are anything like humans, once you stop feeding them grains they will need far far less vitamins.
__________________
my crossfit turned SS log
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:31 PM   #10
Veronica Carpenter
Affiliate Veronica Carpenter is offline
 
Veronica Carpenter's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Oroville  CA
Posts: 2,709
Re: Paleo for dogs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Jones View Post
If dogs are anything like humans, once you stop feeding them grains they will need far far less vitamins.
I'd be inclined to agree. Thanks to my then 14yo, our dogs have been on the BARF diet for a few years now. Coats are glossy, teeth stay clean, no tear stains, bad body/breath odor, or skin problems, poop doesn't stink near as bad and there's not as much. AND, they're no longer overweight.

My daughter did a PP presentation of the BARF diet for 4-H. It earned her Gold at county, regional, and state competition. I'd post it, but the file is too big to upload here. Any ideas on where I can upload it?
__________________
If it's sore - ice it. If it's torn - tape it. If it's heavy - lift it!
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crossfit Dogs Colleen King Community 37 12-01-2007 02:45 AM
Dogs and Crossfit William Brownley Community 35 03-18-2007 07:07 PM
Old Dogs, New Tricks William Brownley Nutrition 4 02-07-2007 01:51 PM
What do you feed your dogs? Scott Kustes Community 20 01-29-2007 11:42 PM
About Dogs Andrew G. Greenberg Community 45 08-31-2006 02:29 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.