CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 12-10-2008, 03:02 PM   #1
Dylan Miley

Profile:
Age gap relationships?

I just want everyone's view on it. I'm assuming it's not a touchy subject for anyone because it's not really a big deal. But I've heard other younger men refer to older women as nothing but a good sex toy. I'm 21, I'm currently seeing a 46 year old woman. I've never been happier, she's beautiful, intelligent, gracious, and fun, she just makes me feel better every time I'm with her or talking to her. It has nothing to do with sex. Discuss.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:06 PM   #2
Allison Bishop

Profile:
Re: Age gap relationships?

Thank you for posting this. My Mom is 46 and she's dealing with dating. It's hard for everyone but she thinks it even harder for someone her age.
I tell her how awesome she is and that all kinds of men are interested in women over 40 all the time but it's nice coming from a young hottie. You know.

I suggested she gets her booty in the gym because it's the best place to meet people. But she has a busy schedule and has to work out at home mostly. Elementary schools where she works aren't the best place to find dates... that's just too big of an age gap

There are issues with dating at every age, but ultimately you have to think about what you want and be honest and realistic with each other. Children may be something you should consider. But then again there are obstacles in every kind of match up.

Your happiness is the most important thing. Congratulations that you've found someone you can be with and WANT to be with. It's hard out there. When you find someone you care about, hang on tight!

I hope you're not looking for approval because it really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks about who you chose to be with. Trust your gut and listen to your heart.

Last edited by Allison Bishop : 12-10-2008 at 04:10 PM.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:02 PM   #3
Jill Zimmerman

Profile:

Spent last ten years cradle robbing. Guys ranging from 14 to 18 years my junior and propositioned by some my kid's ages. Before that husband was three years younger.
Short term if that's what you are after go for it. Long term, men can get away with it, women cannot. Old men with young women is a common occurance when that happens with women it is looked upon differently. I had waitresses hit on my bf mercilessly with me sitting right there. Had a guy say "maybe this young man can help us get this boat down" when I was buying a kayak like my bf was my kid - which is what he thought. BF thought it was funny, me not so much. He really could have cared less. Hahhaa, I look my age and am not delusional. New gf is only 45, so a little younger for his 35.

Might get away with it while in your fourties, possibly fifties but after that the 20 year spread is going to be more meaningful. Which is why I have retired and am looking for someone at least in their fourties. Might be able to talk me into late 30s . All the guys I have met in their fifties have been lying about their age, are married, in poor health, in bad shape, had little kids (wtf were they thinking?) or many other problems. So fourties is on the table currently.

Guy at work is my daughter's age, he is the bomb the best attitude ever. If I could bottle it I would be rich and if I found someone my age like that I would be one happy camper. If he was not married, all rules would be broken. I am not waiting for some knight in shining armor but I do not step on other women's toes. Have to find some happy medium.

So that's one old woman's point of view.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:33 PM   #4
Aaron Trent

Profile:

I'm 22, and the biggest gap was 4.5 years for me. She was 25 when we dated. Now, I know that's not a big gap like the ones being discussed but it's can be an odd gap for someone my age. She was graduated with a Full Time job, I was still (still am) in college and had no idea what I was doing after I graduated (I do now). She was looking to settle down and start talking marriage, I was hoping to relocate across the country. That didn't work so well.

I'm not at all opposed to older in the up to about 15 years. I'm not looking for a sugar momma, but I think that with that much older it would be a "for fun" thing. I'm in no place to settle down right now. But I would love to go out with an athletic older woman for a while.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:57 PM   #5
Stephen Smith

Profile:

http://www.xkcd.com/314/

edit: W/FS (sorry, mods!) Oh, and as far as I'm concerned, as long as it's between 2 intelligent, consenting adults who are open about all the issues, it's all good... There are of course some issues age-diverse couples must deal with that others don't, but that's life.

Last edited by Stephen Smith : 12-10-2008 at 11:01 PM.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:46 AM   #6
Jimi Miller

Profile:

I really struggle with this as well. Being an "old" 33 y/o at a big college campus with 25k 18-22 y/o females you'd think I'd be in heaven. Not so. I've changed a lot since I was 21 and don't really want to be 21 again. I must admit it makes a day at the office more enjoyable but I don't want to be the dirty old man on campus either.

Like Allison said, basically no matter what the situation or age, it's tough.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:03 AM   #7
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Your dating that your significant other, not everyone else. Screw them. If your happy and they are, what else is there?
Old 12-11-2008, 10:17 AM   #8
Kristofer Shamloo

Profile:

Half your age plus 7, standard rule.

(I love XKCD Stephen)
Old 12-11-2008, 04:26 PM   #9
Emily Maisannes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristofer Shamloo View Post
Half your age plus 7, standard rule.

(I love XKCD Stephen)
The half plus seven rule is internationally recognized.

But on a more serious note, I know someone who dated a woman who was nearly 10 years his senior. They just wanted different things in life and were at different stages. Honestly, he was more mature than she was. However, it really comes down to whether you're happy together over the long term.

Last edited by Emily Maisannes : 12-11-2008 at 04:28 PM.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:47 PM   #10
Sara Schroeder

Profile:

I'm 33 and have typically been with men between 5 and 11 years older than me. However, the last guy was 8 years younger and the age difference felt greater. But it was so much fun...I'd do it again in an instant!