CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 01-12-2009, 09:03 PM   #231
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:
Re: Over 50 Crossfitters Sign In

Thought I'd give the Main Page WOD a shot today, since I was dumb enough to try it my first or second week of CF.......I think I was dumb again.....

WOD 090112
"Virtual Shoveling"

Warm-up: Jump Rope Singles.
Was going to do 100 X 3; this would have been a nice warmup for me. But, considering how many times I tripped, I was lucky to get 50 X 3.
CFWU X 2: Included shoulder dislocates, trunk rotations, and 5 kipping P/Us (shouldda probably left these out, since the WOD only had 105 pull-ups in it!! - - DOH!).

Virtual Shoveling:
With an Olympic bar holding only one plate (men use 45 pound plate, women use 25 pound plate), touch the plate on one side of the barrier then the other for one "rep." Barrier is 24."

Reps = 30, 25, 20, 15, 10, 5.
Pull-ups. Post time.
Time (as Rx'd) = 25:46 PR!!
Last one was 9/23/08 with time of 27:13. Also, there was some confusion then over what constituted 1 rep, so I only counted a touch on one side of the barrier as one rep (thus doing only half the "shoveling").

This one HURT!! Still having some congestion and think I spent the entire time in oxygen debt. I kipped all pull-ups in groups of 2 or 3. My grip started to go about half-way through. I'm glad I could switch hands.....wouldda never made it through without dropping the barbell, or falling off the pull-up bar.

New Year's Challenge: Day 12 X 2 = 24.
Missed yesterday. Make up 11 X 2 = 22.
Total = 46 to do today.
Fried from the WOD today, so broke burpups into 6 groups of 7 (42) + 4 = 46!

After today, I'm ready for a week off. NOT!!
Bring it!
Old 01-12-2009, 09:08 PM   #232
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Dennis View Post
Rowing tonight at Three Rivers Rowing Association:

Stretching
Erg WU:
10 minute drill that involved practicing the various parts of the rowing movement and then stringing them together for one smooth motion

Erg WO:
10 minute row focusing on technique
3 minute rest
10 minute row for distance but focusing on consistent split times - 2075m with average split time of 2:24.5

In the tank:
learned that correct foot positioning will make for correct oar positioning
learned to lean to the oarlock side
rowed at different speeds for about 20 minutes

Had an absolute blast! Hamstrings really took a beating though. Can't wait for next week!
What a great WO, Diane! Great split times - - What kind of ergo rowers are you guys using? I really wish there were a place near here where they had a masters rowing club. They started one in Redding, where we used to live, but that doesn't help, since it's nearly five hours away.....
Old 01-12-2009, 09:10 PM   #233
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenda Kelly View Post
Hi Mark and Everyone:
I haven't been posting workouts but I will try and do better. Mark, Miranda got moved to Lubbock and has the coolest garage gym at her new place. You would be proud!
Today's workout was all done outside since weather was so nice:
Run 800
21 KBS (1 pod)
21 wall ball (14#)
21 box jumps (onto tire)
3 burpees
Run 400
15 KBS
15 wall ball
15 box jumps
3 burpees
Run 400
9 KBS
9 wall ball
9 box jumps
3 burpees
Run 400
pull tire 100 meters backpeddling
3 burpees
pull tire 100 meters forward
3 burpees
Run 400
15 burpees (wanted under 1-1/2 min; actual time 1:09)

Workout time was approx 40 min

I am doing the burpee challenge which I started on Jan 1. Hope everyone is having a great new year!
Glenda
Sweet WO, Glenda! Nice to have been able to bust through your desired time on the burpees!!
Old 01-12-2009, 11:35 PM   #234
Terry Dickman

Profile:

Quote:
Mark, Stephen and Terry - Don't boot me out of the log because I'm happy to hear from women!
Diane, we would never do that Plus I agree with Stephen and Mark, its great to hear from women specially in our age group.

Welcome Linda and Welcome back Glenda.

Today we did the main WOD. We had the choice of subbing push ups for the prescribed pull ups, what ever we chose we had to stick with. Turns out I was the only one who chose pull ups. I am trying to do WODs rx'd as much as possible. This one was little painful at the end as you can see by the pics. I had the slowest time of all...but I did all the pull ups.

Monday 1/12/09
Warmup

800mm run and 2 rounds of;
10 KBHP
15 Back Extensions
20 Lunge steps
Samson Stretch

WOD
For time 30,25,20,15,10, and 5 rep rounds of:

Virtual Shoveling

Pull-ups or Push-ups (your choice, whatever you choose you must do that exercise for the entire workout.)

My Time 34:12
I think i could have worked a little harder.

http://home.comcast.net/~tdickman/1-12-09.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~tdickman/rips.jpg
Old 01-13-2009, 08:00 AM   #235
Mark Ervi

Profile:

Glenda great to see your post. I was sorry to see that Miranda had moved. I had been looking for her in the gym, but she seemed to have disappeared. Now I know why.

All the OVER 50's are putting on quite a display of Crossfit Determination on this board, with Terry proving to be a real monster Crossfitter.

Today I did CFWUx3 w/assisted dips and 20 Burpees

Did For time:
90 pound Power clean 15 reps
30 assisted dips
90 pound Power clean 12 reps
24 assisted dips
90 pound Power clean 9 reps
18 assisted dips
90 pound Power clean 6 reps
12 assisted dips
90 pound Power clean 3 reps
6 assisted dips

My time: 21:26 (I used very little assist on the dips, which made this very challenging for me. My max at unassisted dips is 5. I did a lot of single and double reps on the dips. I think I would have benefitted more going a little lighter and keeping the intensity. I usually err in the direction of using too much weight, wishing I was stronger than I am. My 1 rep max for Power Clean is 130, so the 90lb. Power Cleans might have been a little light, but I was able to do them unbroken and keep up intensity.)
Old 01-13-2009, 09:08 AM   #236
Diane Dennis

Profile:

This morning:

Ran to the CLBBG - worked with trainer

This was a rough day in the gym - needed a lot of legs in this workout and didn't seem to have them. I'm guessing that 9 hrs after rowing wasn't enough recovery. I will never quit during a workout, but the thought actually crossed my mind this morning. Can anybody suggest something that I can eat between the time I get home from rowing (9pm) and hitting the CLBBG the next morning (6am) that might give me some gas in my tank? I normally eat 1/2 of a zone bar 1/2 hour before the gym and the other half after the workout. It's never been a problem until this morning.

WOD:

2 min jumping jacks
10 body rows
25 squat jumps
10 body rows
15 burpees
1 min static back squat - 55#
15 burpees
10 body rows
20 ea leg alternating lunge jumps
10 body rows
2 min jumping jacks

EEEK! Going home I ran about 15 steps and then had to walk the rest of the way.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:55 AM   #237
Terry Dickman

Profile:

Quote:
Can anybody suggest something that I can eat between the time I get home from rowing (9pm) and hitting the CLBBG the next morning (6am) that might give me some gas in my tank?
Hey Diane,
I have the same predicament on Friday nights where I attend the evening session, then the Saturday morning session. I don’t think there is any magic potion, but I used to use these back in the day when I MT bike raced.
http://www.guenergy.com/products/gu-energy-gel (wfs)
I see they have a new product
http://www.guenergy.com/products/gu-roctane (wfs)
I would give this new one a shot.

I think one advantage we have over the younger folk is experience, something you only get over time. IMO the best way to get gas in the tank is just recovery time, and I feel that only gets harder as we age.

I have been doing the Zone diet religiously for 2 weeks now. The other thing I have added to this diet is clean eating, that means no processed foods, only lean meats, lots of fish etc. Kind of following the eat clean diet methodology but with Zone proportions.
http://eatcleandiet.com/ (wfs)

BTW…I really feel great since I changed my diet, before it was what ever…fast food and everything. I now eat clean and natural as much as possible. IMO the Zone Diet is way too commercialized read the ingredients on the Zone bar and you will see what I mean. Since I signed up on their website to look at recipes I get alot of emails about their products. I am kind of dissapointed by all the crap they push, I think the method is good, but it looks like to me they are trying to capitalize on all the overweight people in the US.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:49 PM   #238
Diane Dennis

Profile:

Terry - (I PM'ed you regarding the GU-Roctane) Re Zone products, I have always wondered why the bars are so loaded with sugar. I eat them for some fast protein that doesn't taste like cardboard (probably because they're loaded with SUGAR!) but I think I'm going to switch to a protein drink that I found in Costco - Premier High Protein chocolate shakes - 11 oz drink box has 30 grams protein and only 1 gram of sugar and the taste is decent. I will say one thing about the Zone bars - a December CrossFit Journal article by Greg Amundson (my favorite CrossFitter) regarding how he manages his Zone diet mentions that he eats a Zone bar before his early morning workouts. Heck, I figured if it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me!

Other than my quick (read that "processed") protein infusion that I like to do before and after workouts, I eat fairly clean myself. I used to be heavy before CrossFit and one of the first things my original CF trainer did was restrict my caloric intake - 1550 for the first six months. I am a gourmet cook so it was hard for me to switch from high taste/high calorie meals to fish and vegetables. But I persevered and have adapted a lot of my old recipes to my new eating style. I now take in 1850 calories per day and try to balance them in a Zone-ish way. My only real downfall is my wine consumption - I simply can't give up a glass or two of good Pinot Noir - but I always keep the wine drinking within the 1850 calorie limit.

Last edited by Diane Dennis : 01-13-2009 at 04:08 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:15 PM   #239
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:

did the Main Page WOD today, but scaled back the weight to 95# and subbed push-ups for dips. My R/shoulder still has bursitis issues....

Warm-up:

Versa Climber: 10:00 / low intensity 60 - 70 SPM / 12" steps
Shoulder Dislocates, Arm Circles
Pull-ups: 50 kipped; both OH and UH grip in sets of 4 & 5. About 7:00.
Shoulder Presses: 45# X 10
Dips (testing R/shoulder): 5 X 4 sets (most were jumping).

WOD:
95# power clean X 15 reps
30 push-ups (sub for dips due to messed up shoulder)
95# power clean X 12 reps. Did 6. Felt good and went up easily on some lifts, so tried 115# (Fail X 5), got 2 (PR), couldn't get any more, so dropped back to 95# X 4 = 12 reps
24 push-ups (unbroken. First time I've gotten more than 20 in a row during a WOD!!!)
95# power clean X 9 reps
18 push-ups
95# power clean X 6 reps
12 push-ups
95# power clean X 3 reps
6 push-ups
I didn't time the WO today - - was interested in proper form, which was hit and miss.

New Year's Challenge: Day 13 X 3 burpups = 26.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:20 PM   #240
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:

Monday 1/12/09
Warmup

800mm run and 2 rounds of;
10 KBHP
15 Back Extensions
20 Lunge steps
Samson Stretch

WOD
For time 30,25,20,15,10, and 5 rep rounds of:

Virtual Shoveling

Pull-ups or Push-ups (your choice, whatever you choose you must do that exercise for the entire workout.)

My Time 34:12
I think i could have worked a little harder.

Terry,

Great job on the VS WOD yesterday. Sorry about your hands, man. Looks really painful.