CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-31-2007, 02:08 PM   #1
David Siver

Profile:
I have been doing the Crossfit WOD's solely for about a year now and have noticed a decrease in strenght in certain areas, IE push ups, BP, and DL's. I am looking for a supplemental workout plan to follow for some additional work besides the WOD. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-31-2007, 02:31 PM   #2
John Seiler

Profile:
David,

I noticed the same thing. I switched over to an ME Black Box variant. So have a number of people posting in the Workout Logs section. Do a google search of the site for "ME Black Box". Pick up the issue of the Performance Menu regarding it for $5. Well worth it. In short, my metcon is suffering a little (though to be fair, I've been missing on average one workout per week) but my strength went back up. That leaves me as strong but in better shape than when I started CF. I'll take it.
Old 03-31-2007, 04:37 PM   #3
Ian Carver

Profile:
I too have found this problem and I modified my WOD's a bit. Due to working graveyards, I usually do a 4 0n/2 off schedule. In this schedule I will do at least one strict strength workout, one strict metcon workout (like Filthy 50 or similar), and then two WOD's will be a combo of both using heavier weights and HIIT throughout the WOD. I pair heavy, semi-high rep exercises like DL, BP, Squats, full cleans, snatches, etc., with a high intensity exercise like running or rowing. I have gone to doing a lot more WOD's with a wieghted barbell or DB's and it has helped retain and add some muscle and keep the strength up, as well as keep the cardio benefit in there. I try to tactically plan out the WOD's so as not to overly hammer a certain body part and keep pulling/pushing movements spaced out while mixing up the routine and pattern from week to week.
Old 03-31-2007, 04:40 PM   #4
Thomas Covington

Profile:
I am three-months into CF, doing metacon, after roughly a 1 year break from exercising seriously. At first I noticed a pretty significant strength increase but now a decrease in strength is becoming apparent.

John, as always, you point in a good direction. I am currently doing a 4-day a week routine but I am going to give this a shot with my ME day on my first odd day(rest before & after) for a few weeks. Thanks!
Old 03-31-2007, 05:40 PM   #5
Robert Miller

Profile:
Guys,

How is your bodyweight holding up? After starting XFit and concentrating on Metcon (my biggest area of opportunity), I've started to lose weight pretty quickly. My strength has decreased too.. Now that I'm aware of it, I'm changing my diet to hopefully put some lean pounds on my frame and get my strength back up.

Thanks!

Rob Miller
Springfield, PA
Old 03-31-2007, 06:04 PM   #6
Bobby A. Smith

Profile:
Interesting...
Old 03-31-2007, 06:47 PM   #7
Thomas Covington

Profile:
I have lost 3lbs over 3 months, however my shoulders, legs & arms say otherwise. The obvious answer - from belly to bulk.
Old 03-31-2007, 07:10 PM   #8
Ian Carver

Profile:
Rob - My bodyweight has remained in between the 185-195 mark. Lots of Metcon and I am at the lower spectrum, more ME and I am at the top end. The way I am doing it now keeps me around 190 and seems to be the "sweet spot" for my body. Through out it all I stay below 10% BF and if I eat real strict, I can a bit get lower...much to my wife's chagrin...

As a sidenote to David's original post, another idea may be to incorporate a secondary strength only workout later in the day. I would only recommend doing this once or twice a week, though, as it would fatigue the body pretty heavily and in too large a dose will work adversely towards adding strength and mass. A couple exercises at 5x5 would probably do the trick.
Old 03-31-2007, 07:38 PM   #9
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
Why don't you just make up a CF style workout for the areas you're concerned about? Keep doing the regular WOD's but add in something like BP 3-3-3-3-3-3-3, or do a 21/15/9 of BP __ weight, DL __ weight?
Old 03-31-2007, 09:36 PM   #10
Sean Manseau

Profile:
hey, interesting. i thought i was the only one having this problem. i switched from faithfully following the 3/1 WOD schedule, to doing coach rippetoe's starting strength workouts on days 1 and 3, *and* the WOD all 3 days. the result? a quick and global drop, in weight-lifting poundages and in bodyweight exercises like HSPUs and pull-ups. i'm moving over the the ME black box on day 2 method, and hopefully things will get back to normal.