CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-05-2008, 04:16 AM   #1
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Chlorella, Spirulina, Wheatgrass as Omega 3 sub for fish oil

I posted this over at PM and didn't get much a response probably because it's fairly obscure. Didn't find much over at some of the vegan/vegetarian forums I searched either.

I see that there are forms of Blue-Green Algae being used for Omega 3 consumption out now. I'm not sure how long they have been out but I know they were announced quite awhile back as not only being vegan but long term viably since algae grows fast and there is only so many fish out there. They seem pretty expensive as well.

Obviously, if my diet had grass fed meat and eggs and grass fed raw milk, I probably would have no need of Omega 3 supplementation. I'm not an avid seafood eater since I don't like it when it's cooked much at all. There is also the expense of seafood to deal with and the expense of grass fed food which hopefully will replace standard meat and eggs when it's economically viable in my budget to do so.

Anybody have any idea if Spirulina, Wheatgrass, or Chlorella or other B-G algae can supplement how much or enough Omega 3's? I figure some of these green foods and grasses might since that is what is in grass fed meat and eggs. It's just a thought as I have been meaning to get them back into my diet besides what other veggies I eat ( it came to mind when I was vegging shopping the other day ).

I'm not too picky about their taste or mixing them up in water or pureed/blended fruit or veggie juices. My roomates think I'm nuts and can't stand it but it's somewhat flavorful in a weird sort of way, especially with veggies as they have so many strong flavors. Looks nasty, but isn't nearly as bad but I may just have that penchant of downing it quick.
Old 11-05-2008, 01:30 PM   #2
Liam Dougherty Springer

Profile:
Re: Chlorella, Spirulina, Wheatgrass as Omega 3 sub for fish oil

Sounds legit and did you mean inexpensive?

The only suggestion is make sure your body is receiving it comfortably if you can't drink it at a comfortable pase without gagging or shakeing with a wretched feeling in your stomach your body may be telling you somethin. If you can and you still like chugging it fast thats cool but the saliva enzymes are probrably benificial to the absorbtion of many of the nutrients from those sources. If your stomach feels queesy after drinking or painfull or you begun to resent haveing the drink before you make it these are all signs your body is stressing not a healthfull condition regardless of what is going in your body.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:21 PM   #3
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

They are expensive compared to fish oil on the market. Over time, they might become more inexpensive when there is more supply and market saturation.

I've had no problems with Spirulina or Chlorella though I've yet to try the Wheatgrass. I hear the shots of it have a peculiar taste ( probably bad to most people ) but I haven't tried it. They are also expensive at Jamba Juice compared to making it yourself ( a friend's son had to go on this regimen after brain surgery ).
Old 11-05-2008, 10:32 PM   #4
Eric Aubery

Profile:

Don't believe what they say about the taste of wheat grass. It's very sweet, and has a taste like, yes, grass. Not bad at all. I find it delicious. I have no idea on it's worth as an Omega 3 substitute. Can you cite a source for that?

I grew, and juiced my own wheat grass for about a year. It's easy to do, and kinda fun.

I stopped drinking wheat grass after it appeared that it was aggravating my ragweed allergy. It is a grass after all.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:53 PM   #5
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

it's use as an omega 3 source is completely conjecture right now. I'm just guessing at what grassfed beef eats. Obviously free range chickens eat bugs and this is where they get their omega 3's from unless they are being fed fish meal which are typically raised on soy meal.