CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 10-14-2008, 09:17 AM   #1
Jordan Dunn

Profile:
Tendon of Bicep Brachii

Hi everyone,

I've been experiencing pain in my tendon of bicep brachii for the last couple of years of lifting weights. In general I've ignored this and tried to ignore this pain and not do exercises that aggravated the injury but since starting crossfit I've been doing a lot more pull ups and its getting worse.

There's a sharp pain on the tendon opposite my elbow (inside of the arm where it bends). Pull-ups, rows, bicep curls, and flexing of my bicep and even light cleans hurt this area. The pain is much worse when my palms are facing outward. I can't even do a pull-up with my palms away from my body because of the pain and cleans hurt for this same reason. During the day when I'm not doing anything this area becomes "tense", for lack of a better word, and I must flex until it "cracks" to relieve the tension.

Has anyone experience something similar? I've tried searching online but can't find anything and I dont' have a family doctor so the only doctor I could see would be at a clinic and I don't put much faith in them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Jordan
Old 10-14-2008, 09:51 AM   #2
Frank E Morel

Profile:
Re: Tendon of Bicep Brachii

You live in Edmonton ab where the md to population ratio is something like 1200 per 1 md. One of the biggest medical schools in the country. Sorry no excuse in not having a Family doctor.. Btw most family doctors work out of those clinics that you dont have faith in. GO and get established.

Next thing.. you dont need a Md referral in Alberta for a Physical Therapy consult. So Go.. Kinsmen PT center is A good one, Has University of Alberta ties.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:13 AM   #3
Jordan Dunn

Profile:

Hey, thanks for the reply. I moved to Edmonton this year and wasn't really sure of where to go or what the rules were. I assumed I needed a doctor referral. And also with clinic doctors, the last one I went to recommended advil for what I later found out was jumper's knee and had to attend physio for. I'm looking into finding a family doctor that is close to my house. But anyways, I've booked an appointment at Kinsmen for tomorrow night so hopefully they have some good advice! Thanks for your help.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:23 AM   #4
Bob Guere

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Dunn View Post
Hi everyone,

I've been experiencing pain in my tendon of bicep brachii for the last couple of years of lifting weights. In general I've ignored this and tried to ignore this pain and not do exercises that aggravated the injury but since starting crossfit I've been doing a lot more pull ups and its getting worse.

There's a sharp pain on the tendon opposite my elbow (inside of the arm where it bends). Pull-ups, rows, bicep curls, and flexing of my bicep and even light cleans hurt this area. The pain is much worse when my palms are facing outward. I can't even do a pull-up with my palms away from my body because of the pain and cleans hurt for this same reason. During the day when I'm not doing anything this area becomes "tense", for lack of a better word, and I must flex until it "cracks" to relieve the tension.

Has anyone experience something similar? I've tried searching online but can't find anything and I dont' have a family doctor so the only doctor I could see would be at a clinic and I don't put much faith in them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Jordan
I have the same problem. It takes a while to go away with NO PULLING.... ice and NSAIDs as usual. But it comes back now and again. Just be mindful of it, it can get worse.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:52 PM   #5
Curt Garner

Profile:

Jordan,

I've had the same problem for over a year. It's the distal bicep attachment and it hurts like crazy when doing pullups or also (strangely) power cleans and presses when the forearm is pronated and the elbow tightly bent. I paid a few visits to my orthopedist, eventually got a cortisone shot, and spent a few weeks in physical therapy, none of which helped. so I resigned myself to the fact that it's a badly inflamed tendon that will only heal slowly.

As Bob says, rest, ice, and NSAIDs are important. In addition, once the pain is diminished (which for me required over a month of complete rest) , I found it helpful to start exercising the joint with very light weights and low reps, then increase weight very slowly for each successive workout. The tendon seems to be okay if I let it hurt a little during the workout, as long as the pain's not sharp; but if it persists for more than an hour, I know I've overdone it and need to back off. This approach seems to be yielding slow but steady results. One other thing that's helped is a good soak in the hottub -- don't know why, but it gave immediate relief the first time I did it.

Good luck.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:19 PM   #6
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Having struggled with tendinitis for a few months, I found that ice on the skin works well, as does a bit of rest (try a week of no gripping), Aleve (not advil) and a golf ball to massage the forearms and triceps.
However, if Frank says you should go see a doc, I'd let his advice overrule mine.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:59 AM   #7
Jordan Dunn

Profile:

Thanks for the replies everyone. I went to a physical therapist last night at Kinsmen as per instructed and they basically gave the same advice (rest, ice, NSAIDs). Any recommendations on how to work back into things once the pain is gone? Should I sub out pull-ups with heavily assisted pull ups? Maybe curls? Thanks again.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:17 PM   #8
karen carnahan

Profile:

I also have this. I had a very educated massage therapist tell me that the tendon is becoming scarred and tight and it is pulling the joint, hence the pain even when not working out. It needs to be massaged, a lot....really deeply on both sides of the joint to loosen up the scar tissue and loosen the tendon from the joint. It has really helped me!
Old 10-18-2008, 10:59 AM   #9
Jordan Dunn

Profile:

Does just self massage work? I've been doing it, don't notice a change yet but I'll keep at it and the ice!