CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-22-2006, 01:03 PM   #1
John D Wilson

Profile:
It is well known that stress is important for fitness. Indeed, in Darwin's framework we evolved because of stress: "Survival of the Fittest".

Others expressing a similiar view are Nietzche - "That which doesn't kill me makes me stronger"

Or Hans Selye and the General Adaptation (to stress) Syndrome.

We know that physical exercise is stressful and done properly results in increased strength following recovery.

We know that the Finnish practice of Sauna and swimming in the Baltic Sea has highly reputed health benefits.

And we know that when an animal (pet) is injured it will often cease eating (suggesting nature's way of recovery).

Below is a great article which ties together three types of stress (diet, exercise, and mental) at the cellular level. The article suggests for me at least the benefits of

- Exercise (like Crossfit)
- Intermittent Fasting
- Intellectual Challenges

work and family safe

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?tool=pubmed&pubmedid=1571701 1

Old 12-26-2006, 01:27 PM   #2
Alfonso Bandera

Profile:
John
The fasting intrigues me. HOw often and for how long?

Is is worthless to do a 24 hour fast?
Old 12-27-2006, 02:30 PM   #3
Dan Colson

Profile:
What I've read from the performance menu etc intermittent fasting is effective if done overnight to lunch or lunch to breakfast, I have been doing this for quite a while and have seen positive results, many of my PR's have fallen on IF days. Like CrossFit, not a whole lot of research on the topic. I'm sure there are many more qualified people to answer your question though, i'm listing personal results only.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:09 AM   #4
Alfonso Bandera

Profile:
This helps Dan...how often do you do this?
Old 12-28-2006, 12:58 PM   #5
Dan Colson

Profile:
weekly, only one or two days though, I do it on purpose and not by mistake. I really believe it has helped, havent been sick through this time either. On a whole I also eat pretty clean 90% of the time anyway and intend to watch even closer to start the year.
Old 12-28-2006, 03:58 PM   #6
John D Wilson

Profile:
Alfonso,

I posted this link under Fitness because it referred to stress under the catagories of Fasting, Exercise, and Mental Challenge.

For specific info on the fasting look under Nutrition on this board. There are many outstanding contributions there. Some are very recent.

You might also search for Robb Wolf - he has written extensively on the subject.

Personally I think that relatively short-term fasts are doable (not too stressful) and show great promise. If I had cancer I would consider longer fasts - say 4 days (based on a Robb Wolf interview).

Also check out Art Devany - he has a lot of interesting ideas - most notably using randomness in the process (sort of like the WOD)