CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 06-17-2008, 01:25 PM   #1
Eric Iman

Profile:
Using crossfit for fight conditioning

I posted a comment about crossfit on sherdog and realized that it was hopeless. I am curios how fighters use crossfit to get in shape. The big thing seems to be the timing to be in top physical condition the night of the fight but doing the wods as posted may not give the "top condition" result?
Any help would be great! I love crossfit by the way I am wondering if fighters are doing the wods in a different time frame?
Thanks
Old 06-17-2008, 01:44 PM   #2
Shane Rapp

Profile:
Re: Using crossfit for fight conditioning

BJ Penn uses Crossfit for part of his conditioning. I have an internet acquaintance who has trained Nate Marquadt and Fabricio Werdum who is a big proponent of Crossfit for fighters. I'd agree that the WOD as prescribed may not give peak results for a fighter though. In my opinion, you should choose workouts that have, or would make it able for you to incorporate, some movements that are more specific to the sport. You may also want to tweak the times to be more in line with the rounds and rest periods you will be competing in but that's not as important if you're already sparring properly.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:32 PM   #3
Joe Waguespack

Profile:

Hey Eric,

I have had the pleasure of being able to work with several fighters , amateurs and professionals since I opened up. Actually my membership base is starting to become predominately fighters lately. I program my own workouts daily and tend to include a little more overall strength and power work mixed in with the conditioning. Every one of the fighters I am training has told me that they have seen big improvements in not only their cardio and endurance but in strength , speed and power. I also try to incorporate a good deal of stability and balance work into my WOs and warmups. Check out my site www.crossfitsla.com, you might find some ideas you can use.

"Punish the body to perfect the soul"-Mark Twight

Last edited by Joe Waguespack : 06-17-2008 at 02:41 PM.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:38 AM   #4
Eric Iman

Profile:

Thanks Joe your site is cool! I like the quote of the day.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:15 AM   #5
David Geiger

Profile:

Do you think in conditioning for MMA it would be beneficial to turn all workouts into a fight gone bad style workout (3xrns of 5min with 1min break)?

For example instead of run 5k do a faster paces 5 minute run with a 1 minute rest for 3x rnds
or the workout from June 20th it was

65lb thrusters x 10
10lb pull ups x 10 as many rnds for 5x minutes for 3rnds with 1 minute breaks.

Anyways just curious for feedback..
Old 06-25-2008, 08:46 AM   #6
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Iman View Post
I posted a comment about crossfit on sherdog and realized that it was hopeless.
CF takes a lot of slack ... from people who have never used it. Funny how that works!

If you know the exact dates of your fights well in advance you can certainly plan your training around it. You would be silly NOT to attempt a peak, regardless of what system you used to prepare.

But if dates change, fighters change, events change, and you're randomly entering tournaments, maybe even a variety of events (grappling, boxing, mma, etc) just to get some experience, then peaking isn't really much of an option.

I fit more into the second group - I compete when I can - so I don't try to peak for anything, I just want to stay in good shape year round. For that, I do the WOD and throw in some extra work for areas I consider to be sub par. The good news is that physically and mentally I am ready at the drop of a hat.

Your biggest challenge will be how to balance your skill, strength, and conditioning work.
Old 06-26-2008, 03:59 AM   #7
Alan Johnson Jr.

Profile:

You can take almost any Crossfit exercise and tailor it for fighting. Anything Tabata or interval style will be beneficial for fighting. Think about a typical round of MMA, whether it be jabs, leg kicks or an attempted takedown followed by a submission attempt or a ground-n-pound.
You are working in the glycolytic and phosphagen system the entire time, unless you have two lay-and-prayers.

Max lifts are also beneficial if slamming is part of your fight game.

Of course the best way to get conditioned for fighting is by sparing.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:48 AM   #8
Christina Fraquelli

Profile:

I had a question because Iím really having problems trying to incorporate Crossfit into my schedule.

Iím a BJJ fighter, so Iím always training a lot of BJJ and Judo, plus I climb and do yoga. I used to do about four crossfits a week, but then I get so exhausted after a few weeks and need a few days rest, which messes up my training. So now, I've just stuck with doing the crossfit warm up three or four times a week. Especially since my tournament schedule is always a little crazy.

My problem is how much Crossfit should I incorporate into my routine, when I do so much BJJ? This is my current schedule that I do in the evenings with a 9 to 5.30 job.

Monday: 2 hours of BJJ
Tuesday: 1 hour of Judo
Wednesday: 2 hours of BJJ
Thursday: 1 hour of Judo
Friday: 2 hours of BJJ
Saturday: 1.5 hours of yoga and 1.5 hours of BJJ
Sunday: 1 to 2 hours of indoor climbing

Please can you guys advise how much I should do? This seems to be a problem with a lot of other fighters as well.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:56 AM   #9
Scott Ponte

Profile:

In my opinion you've got to cut something somewhere.... If you energy levels were fine and your injury free I would say you could try to add in CF. Since you said you got burnt you may be pushing your limits. You could maybe try supplements and increasing food intake + sleep to help with recovery and limit overtraining but your pushing a fine line.

And yes, you're right. I have the same problem with scheduling you do. Typically I try to get 2-3 BJJ days in a week and 1-2 Krav days in and throw in Crossfit on days I feel strong.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:02 PM   #10
Becca Borawski

Profile:

Christina --

My personal suggestion, from my experience combining Martial Arts and CrossFit and from seeing what has worked for my students, is that you need to think a bit about what your goals are and what in your schedule is going to assist you in achieving those goals.

Unless you want to cut back on something that you currently have scheduled, you're going to find it hard to fit CF into your schedule without doing 2 workouts a day. Typically, students of mine who are hard core BJJ folks do CF in the morning and BJJ in the afternoon or evenings. That is what I currently do when I train MMA or kickboxing, as well.

To that end I would also suggest you look at the time spent rockclimbing and assess whether that is helping you towards your BJJ fighter goals. Would that time be better spend doing CF? Or should that be a rest day? Which option brings you closer to becoming a better BJJ fighter?

Or would one less day of technique training (either BJJ or Judo) be more useful if it meant you could do CF and have better strength and conditioning?

Also, you should have at least 1 day a week where you do NOTHING or your body is not going to recover properly and you will slowly train yourself into the ground.

Think about what your current strong points and weak points are, and use those to figure out what you need to train.

Hope that helps!
-Becca

www.crossfitla.com -- www.modernathena.com -- www.nerdjockprincess.com