CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-10-2006, 04:17 PM   #1
Kurt Ronald Mueller

Profile:

gotta say, impressed by the avatar... i'm wondering what nutrition scheme you follow. also, what protein guidelines do you adhere to? are you like the masses here and follow the zone... or something else? also, do you drink post-workout shakes?

as for the workouts, do you follow crossfit exactly or do you throw in some extras... ME, your chosen sport, or whatever.

thanks for any info,
Kurt

(Message edited by buddhabellybum on February 10, 2006)
Old 02-12-2006, 09:52 AM   #2
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
Thanks Kurt!

My nutrition guidelines are pretty simple and while they may reflect a lot of zone principles, I don't follow the zone. The main reason is because I've been tracking my calories for so long that it doesn't make a lot of sense to add an extra step (eg, converting everything into "blocks"). While that may be easier/useful to some, it seems like a dumbed down version of what I already do. And considering that blocks only count the dominate calories from each food (ie, you only count fat from nuts, ignore the protein), it's less accurate. I realize counting the calories we eat isn't an exact science, but why make it less accurate than necessary?

Anyway, here are my basic nutrition principles:

Protein is at least 1 gram per pound of body weight from the following sources: beef (sirloin, eye round, lean ground beef), chicken breasts, pork chops, and a protein powder blend (Nitrean). I do eat other meats, but the ones listed are daily.

Fat is at least 0.5g per pound of body weight from the following sources: cashews, almonds, natural peanut butter, and fish oil. Obviously there are other fats in my diet, but I try to get the majority from these sources.

As long as the above two conditions are met, the rest of my calories can come from whatever combination of protein/fat/carbohydrates I want. For the most part it's balanced (30/30/40), but percentages don't really concern me too much.

Carbohydrates mostly come from the following sources: baby spinach, peppers, mushrooms, bananas, oranges, and apples. I also eat bread, pasta, and oatmeal every so often (maybe 3-5 times a week?).

I do have shakes (Nitrean) on occassion because they are convenient, but I'm not a believer in the "post workout window." When I get back from the gym, I snack on whatever is easy while I make dinner. Sometimes that is a shake, but usually it's a couple bananas and a handful of cashews. Hell, sometimes it's a couple of ice cream sandwiches and a granola bar. ;)

You can view my training schedule in my journal (located in the WOD forum), but it is essentially:

Monday - Crossfit WOD
Tuesday - Crossfit WOD
Wednesday - 5x5 strength training (squats/bench/rows)
Thursday - Crossfit WOD
Friday - Crossfit WOD
Saturday 5x5 strength training (deadlifts/military/chinups)
Sunday - Rest

If the WOD happens to be a rest day, I'll do one of the girls or whatever sounds like fun at the time. I also participate in judo and grappling, although they have been sporadic the past month or so.

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!
Old 02-12-2006, 03:56 PM   #3
Jason Steele

Profile:
What is your rounded off kcal count on average in comparison to your ht/wt?
Old 02-12-2006, 04:47 PM   #4
Steve Liberati

Profile:
Anthony,
You're hard work definately shows bro. Arms look rock solid and ripped man. How long have you been following the CrossFit WOD's for? Guessing you switched over from the standard bodybuilding protocol. Although we share the same philosophy regarding diet, just had a question or two for you. Do you tend to separate fat and carbs? Do you subscribe to the "macronutrient separation" theory? Also, you said you're not a big believer in post-workout nutrition. But do you typically try to consume most of your carbs after your workout?

When you get a chance write back. Look forward to your reply.

Thx!
Old 02-13-2006, 06:33 AM   #5
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
Jason, I average 3000 calories and I'm 5'7, 180.

Steve, thanks man! I've been doing GPP for years, but mostly as a supplement to my PL training. When I started fighting again, I knew I had to improve my conditioning and that's when I started putting more focus on GPP. I was looking for new exercises, stumbled on crossfit, and the rest is history. CF has been a big part of my routine for approx 2 months.

I personally don't separate fats and carbs, but I know people who do with great success. Would they have the same success otherwise? Probably, but why change what works? I try to keep things as simple as possible.

As for carbs, most of mine come between breakfast and noon. I train at 5pm. I don't really plan it this way, but that's how it works out. To be honest, I don't really put a lot of emphasis on timing and structure. My only focus is to hit the two numbers above for protein/fat and everything else is just background noise!

My post workout "meal" is usually meat & veggies, although I'll snack while cooking.

Hope this helps!
Old 02-13-2006, 09:14 PM   #6
Steve Liberati

Profile:
Thanks Anthony. Appreciate the response. However, I'm a bit confused. In the above post you said you try to get at least 1 gram per pound of body weight for your protein intake and at least 0.5g per pound of body weight for your fat intake. Doing the math that will give you about 1500-1600 total calories from protein and fat. Does it mean the other half of your cals come from carbs? Assuming you are being very conservative with your macronutrient guidelines, how many carbs on average do you eat a day?
Again sorry for so many questions. I'm just interested in learning about what works for other people and what doesn't. Although my diet has been pretty much the same for the last 2 years (despite the flucuation in cals), I'm always looking for new and improved methods surrounding proper nutrition. Again if not a problem feel free to write back. Your help is certainly well appreciated.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:09 AM   #7
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
No problem, Steve. I did address your question above, though! :wink:

"As long as the above two conditions are met, the rest of my calories can come from whatever combination of protein/fat/carbohydrates I want. For the most part it's balanced (30/30/40), but percentages don't really concern me too much."
Old 02-14-2006, 03:02 PM   #8
Steve Liberati

Profile:
Thanks Anthony. Coincidentally. I suffer from selective hearing as well:-)

So says my fiancee anyway. ha!