CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-20-2008, 12:48 AM   #1
Sean Kane

Profile:
Does this look about right for fat loss?

O.K. folk, a brief bio. I stumbled upon Crossfit about a year ago after a few years of powerlifting/bbing type routines. I followed Crossfit for a while and made great gains in my fitness and lost some fat as well. Since then I have gone on a cycle of starting strength and now getting back into Crossfitting again. My goal now is to get down to sub 10% bodyfat as efficiently, safely, and quickly as possible. Here are my stats:

Sex: Male
Weight: ~178 lbs
BF%: ~15%

I have my calories set at around 2300 per day, and the following for my macro-nutrients using the ZONE percentages split into 5-6 meals:

Carbs: 230g
Protein: 173g
Fat: 77g

I obviously will be obtaining this from healthy sources. Basically I want to know if this is a good place to start and am I going about this correctly? Thanks!
Old 03-20-2008, 02:39 AM   #2
Dan Heaney

Profile:
Re: Does this look about right for fat loss?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Kane View Post
O.K. folk, a brief bio. I stumbled upon Crossfit about a year ago after a few years of powerlifting/bbing type routines. I followed Crossfit for a while and made great gains in my fitness and lost some fat as well. Since then I have gone on a cycle of starting strength and now getting back into Crossfitting again. My goal now is to get down to sub 10% bodyfat as efficiently, safely, and quickly as possible. Here are my stats:

Sex: Male
Weight: ~178 lbs
BF%: ~15%

I have my calories set at around 2300 per day, and the following for my macro-nutrients using the ZONE percentages split into 5-6 meals:

Carbs: 230g
Protein: 173g
Fat: 77g

I obviously will be obtaining this from healthy sources. Basically I want to know if this is a good place to start and am I going about this correctly? Thanks!
I think it's way too many blocks if fat loss ib what your after. You're at something like 25. You should start with less. Read this

http://www.crossfit.com/journal/libr...ue21_May04.pdf
Old 03-20-2008, 09:49 AM   #3
Sean Kane

Profile:

Thanks for the quick reply. I was hoping to be able to use the ZONE diet without having to learn the block system. I didn't think this would be a problem because I already weigh and measure everything I eat on a daily basis. Are you saying that I am eating too many total calories? If so, how would I go about determining how many calories I need daily?
Old 03-20-2008, 10:00 AM   #4
Mark Reinke

Profile:

You'll need to learn the block system to Zone effectively. It's about balancing out your carb, protein, and fat calories at each meal to elicit the most optimal response within your body. In fact, it will seem very calorie restrictive at first. However, since you get rid of all the crap that your body does not need, and replace those calories with calories your body will thrive on, the results are amazing both for fat loss and performance. I keep a copy of the food list from the previously mentioned CF Journal in my kitchen at all times for reference. Make the first week or two a pain in the butt for yourself with the measuring and block structure. You will learn a lot about what you were previously consuming, what you're consuming while your starting your block schedule, and how to block things out easier in the future!

Start with a 16-20 block schedule and modify accordingly after the first few weeks based on how you feel. If your performance is taking a huge hit, up your fat blocks per meal.

Last edited by Mark Reinke : 03-20-2008 at 10:02 AM. Reason: forgot to answer Sean's question!
Old 03-20-2008, 11:17 AM   #5
Sean Kane

Profile:

It is definitely going to take some effort to understand the block system. Could it be broken down into grams and calories to keep in with the way I am used to doing it?

Say, instead of eating 4 blocks of protein a meal, could I just say I need to eat 28g of protein per meal?
Old 03-20-2008, 01:03 PM   #6
Mark Reinke

Profile:

That will work. There is a complete conversion of Carb/Prot/Fat gms to blocks in the CFJ issue 21 that was (i'll mention it again) posted in this thread earlier. Take the time to read it.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:45 PM   #7
Derek Weaver

Profile:

Read CFJ #21, but beware that it's prescriptions can be a little misguiding. We generally need less food than we think. At the Level 1 Cert. last month, Tony B. and Nicole were talking about nutrition and each were 3-4 blocks over what they actually needed at first.

I'd also recommend buying (it's only $2.50) Robb Wolf's PMenu article "42 Ways to Skin The Zone". Using the more carb restricted version you should lean out real quick.

As for "gramming" the Zone, it can be done and is often done for people who are extremely "dialed in", but I think that for those willing, they do just fine with their standard block choices. Read the article, look at the block chart and get going. Don't worry about the hidden calories in food choices, just mix and match and wow everyone with your lightning like progress.

Coach RUT, on his blog a while ago, suggested printing the article, having Kinko's reduce it to 70% and then laminating and binding it, so that you'll always have a Zone fallback guide. Make 2 or 3 of them for back ups and you're golden.

Good luck and keep us updated on your progress.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:03 PM   #8
Paul Richardson

Profile:

good thread, I'm similiar to you Sean I currently have my food fairly dialled in 'by the numbers' but am interested in the zone but would rather just count the numbers than the blocks.

I'm 176lbs at 11%BF (5'10" high). Aiming for fat loss. Do Crossfit 4/5 times a week.

I'm having a bit of trouble working out what body size I should consider mysefl as...I counted myself as a medium male and by my calculations a 17 block daily setup equals
1547kCals...when apperently my BMR is around 1800.

17 blocks

17 * 7 = 119 grams protein * 4 = 476kCals
17 * 1.5 = 25.5 grams extra fat implicit in the protein
17 * 9 = 153 carbs * 4 = 612kCals
17 * 1.5 = 25.5 = 25.5 +25.5 = 51 grams fat * 9 = 459kCals

= 1547 kcals Daily intake

This seems low...

Did I mess up the caculations or should I consider myself as another body type?

Paul
Old 03-20-2008, 04:44 PM   #9
Geoff Sallee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Richardson View Post
good thread, I'm similiar to you Sean I currently have my food fairly dialled in 'by the numbers' but am interested in the zone but would rather just count the numbers than the blocks.

I'm 176lbs at 11%BF (5'10" high). Aiming for fat loss. Do Crossfit 4/5 times a week.

I'm having a bit of trouble working out what body size I should consider mysefl as...I counted myself as a medium male and by my calculations a 17 block daily setup equals
1547kCals...when apperently my BMR is around 1800.

17 blocks

17 * 7 = 119 grams protein * 4 = 476kCals
17 * 1.5 = 25.5 grams extra fat implicit in the protein
17 * 9 = 153 carbs * 4 = 612kCals
17 * 1.5 = 25.5 = 25.5 +25.5 = 51 grams fat * 9 = 459kCals

= 1547 kcals Daily intake

This seems low...

Did I mess up the caculations or should I consider myself as another body type?

Paul
nope, that's probably about right. I'm 5'10" 208 lbs. (20% bodyfat) and 17 blocks is what's prescribed for me as well. You do get a lot of hidden calories (unless you are extremely strict instead of using a block chart) so it usually adds up to a few hundred calories higher than you're calculating.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:22 PM   #10
Mark Reinke

Profile:

Guys,

The Zone/paleo is a calorie restrictive place. However, you're now putting in calories that your body will thank you for, and put them to good use. With my experience in it, I feel as if I'm eating more (especially during that 5 block breakfast), when in reality I'm actually consumer fewer calories in one day than before my Zone days. There really are no short cuts to the Zone block prescription. Do it and do it right, and reap the rewards of what it has to offer. Your times will drop and your loads will go up, it had this effect on me. Finding other ways to short-cut what is in black and white, may work and it may not!

As for body type, it is suggested to start with a 16 block schedule for most people, and add more blocks based upon your performance output after a few weeks. If you begin to spiral downward in your overall work capacity, add more blocks, and watch the improvements continue.