CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2007, 02:55 PM   #61
Steven Low
Member Steven Low is offline
 
Steven Low's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: silver spring  maryland
Posts: 12,221
Re: I'm 155lbs, I want to be 190lbs; read inside.

Nothing wrong with weights and calisthenics or whatever. Basically do whatever you have to do to drop the muscle mass whether it be dropping exercise all together and letting it atrophy or whatever your choice method is (assuming it's not too unhealthy..). Generally when cutting off weight you want to do strength work.. but you're not trying to loose fat but muscle so it's a bit of a different story. Then yeah, hit up the good stuff.. full body lifts, oly lifts, rings work, etc.

Isocaloric diet = caloric maintenance so you don't gain any weight.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 03:01 PM   #62
Steven Anderson
Member Steven Anderson is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Jacksonville  Fl
Posts: 489
Re: I'm 155lbs, I want to be 190lbs; read inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Nothing wrong with weights and calisthenics or whatever. Basically do whatever you have to do to drop the muscle mass whether it be dropping exercise all together and letting it atrophy or whatever your choice method is (assuming it's not too unhealthy..). Generally when cutting off weight you want to do strength work.. but you're not trying to loose fat but muscle so it's a bit of a different story. Then yeah, hit up the good stuff.. full body lifts, oly lifts, rings work, etc.

Isocaloric diet = caloric maintenance so you don't gain any weight.
Thanks Steven, I appreciate your advice. I'll put it to use.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 04:48 PM   #63
Jake Oleander
Member Jake Oleander is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Miami  FL
Posts: 540
Re: I'm 155lbs, I want to be 190lbs; read inside.

i was just saying that wanting to be leaner than 4.4% bf was a ridiculous goal. clearly i misunderstood you though. sorry if i offended you...
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 11:54 PM   #64
James Besenyei
Member James Besenyei is offline
 
James Besenyei's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cleveland  Ohio
Posts: 588
Re: I'm 155lbs, I want to be 190lbs; read inside.

Read "Super Squats" by Randy Strossen then squat.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 06:29 AM   #65
Steven Anderson
Member Steven Anderson is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Jacksonville  Fl
Posts: 489
Re: I'm 155lbs, I want to be 190lbs; read inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Oleander View Post
i was just saying that wanting to be leaner than 4.4% bf was a ridiculous goal. clearly i misunderstood you though. sorry if i offended you...
I understand, no offense taken. No, 4.4% was definately not my goal, way too lean.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 04:50 PM   #66
Jonathan Moomey
Member Jonathan Moomey is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Emporia  KS
Posts: 20
Re: I'm 155lbs, I want to be 190lbs; read inside.

This thread has officially confused me...I havent frequented the boards for about a month, but last time I was here, the word I was always told was you COULD gain size on CF. In fact, I remember somewhere (in the FAQ I believe), there was even a chart that compared CF vs. BB routine with or without steroids and it says CF will get you bigger naturally than BB naturally...However, everyone in here is now saying otherwise...

To the OP, I was in a similar situation as you before I found CF. I was 5'5 120lbs and wanted to gain size. In about 6 months I went from 120lbs to 169lbs...I gained some excess fat along the way, but when I cut from 169lbs to 157 I had a six-pac showing. So I considered an overall gain of 37lbs in six months a success. As some have already said, I just ate WAY over maintenance (I personally didnt eat clean...weight gainer shakes and buffets all the time), and lifted hard on a 4 day a week split. I then used CF when it was time to cut weight...While this isnt probably going to be the most popular advice, its just my .02.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 05:02 PM   #67
Steven Low
Member Steven Low is offline
 
Steven Low's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: silver spring  maryland
Posts: 12,221
Re: I'm 155lbs, I want to be 190lbs; read inside.

Quote:
This thread has officially confused me...I havent frequented the boards for about a month, but last time I was here, the word I was always told was you COULD gain size on CF. In fact, I remember somewhere (in the FAQ I believe), there was even a chart that compared CF vs. BB routine with or without steroids and it says CF will get you bigger naturally than BB naturally...However, everyone in here is now saying otherwise...

To the OP, I was in a similar situation as you before I found CF. I was 5'5 120lbs and wanted to gain size. In about 6 months I went from 120lbs to 169lbs...I gained some excess fat along the way, but when I cut from 169lbs to 157 I had a six-pac showing. So I considered an overall gain of 37lbs in six months a success. As some have already said, I just ate WAY over maintenance (I personally didnt eat clean...weight gainer shakes and buffets all the time), and lifted hard on a 4 day a week split. I then used CF when it was time to cut weight...While this isnt probably going to be the most popular advice, its just my .02.
The FAQ isn't too clear.

You can gain size faster on CF most likely if you eat correctly *and* the BB routine is a typical split that now pervades the fitness industry. However, if your BB routine is a full body routine on the lines of something like Starting Strength, then heavy lifting "BB" is going to be superior to CF in that respect.

For example, if you had done a full body routine while you were eating way over maintenance you probably would have gained more strength and mass than on your 4 day a week split (unless it was a good split like push pull or something).
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 05:20 PM   #68
Jonathan Moomey
Member Jonathan Moomey is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Emporia  KS
Posts: 20
Re: I'm 155lbs, I want to be 190lbs; read inside.

It was a horizontal/vertical-push/pull full body split...I enjoyed it a lot. However, I have since gone back to it trying to bulk through the winter, but I cant get into it! I miss CF!!! LOL. I am beginning to sway over to giving up on major mass gain and stick with CF because I love the extra energy and conditioning benefits I get from it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 07:10 AM   #69
Mirza Besic
Member Mirza Besic is offline
 
Mirza Besic's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: St. Clair Shores  Michigan
Posts: 237
Re: I'm 155lbs, I want to be 190lbs; read inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Oleander View Post
no need to gain all that weight, it will make bw stuff like planche harder. just keep training.
how come there is no planche competition thread!? it seems like there are enough of us who are working towards it...
This kind of seems fitting; I'm really proud of my training buddy because he's finally gotten the stradle planch at almost 190 pounds body weight and a height of 5'8. He held it for 4-5 seconds before letting his legs dip. This is about 9 months into training.

Check it out:

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...usce/frank.jpg
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 08:04 AM   #70
Steven Anderson
Member Steven Anderson is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Jacksonville  Fl
Posts: 489
Re: I'm 155lbs, I want to be 190lbs; read inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirza Besic View Post
This kind of seems fitting; I'm really proud of my training buddy because he's finally gotten the stradle planch at almost 190 pounds body weight and a height of 5'8. He held it for 4-5 seconds before letting his legs dip. This is about 9 months into training.

Check it out:

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...usce/frank.jpg
Awesome pic. At 5'9" 160, you'd think I'd be able to do that, uh, not the case. I'll keep on training. Nice work.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Magnificent Mobility & Inside Out DVDs Greg Davis Equipment 1 12-05-2006 12:59 AM
Platform inside of cage Steven Vasilogianis Equipment 0 06-15-2006 12:23 PM
Knee pain - inside of leg Adrian Cradock Injuries 0 04-22-2005 05:35 AM
**ATTENTION** ANYONE DEPLOYED TO IRAQ PLEASE LOOK INSIDE Nathan Dye Community 2 08-22-2004 02:04 PM
Day 3 of diet change - results inside Scott Kustes Nutrition 5 06-20-2004 07:05 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.