CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-04-2007, 02:47 AM   #1
Will Parker

Profile:
starting Strength vs CF

Ok so I want to maybe add a few pounds to get up into next weight class currently at 150-156 only just turned 18 and have stopped kickboxing and jujitsu for the time being so I see this as an opportunity to gain some size + strength.

My question is however if I were to follow a starting strength routine for say 3-6 months would the gains I see in that time then remain if I went back to CF. As CF is great for the all roundedness expected of you in MMA(I find atleast).

Currently just started a CF blackbox rountine but as im not training for a long while atm I don't need so much of the endurance cardio aspect provided by CF. So now im wondering if I would just be better off following the starting strength rountine?

Does anyone have any experience with this?

My goals atm are that I want to be strong-for my build and weight I would say Im pretty strong already when it comes to ground game I tend to be able to submit and takedown my opponent througfh sheer force rather than technique as im new to mma as a whole.

I don't have much experience lifting heavy weights only recently learned how to squat and deadlift so and the olympic lifts seem abit far off from what I can do at this point I have trouble getting my elbows up and underneath the bar on a clean.

the trouble I am having with the blackbox routine is that I can't do the olympic lifts properly yet. Which seems to be a fundamental requirement as far as total body movements go.

Also I have not purchased a copy of starting strenght yet as I can't find a bookshop here that stocks it or will order it in, the libary doesn't have it and I don't have a credit card so i am unable to order it online.

can anybody suggest a means to obtaining a copy?

thanks in advance
Old 12-04-2007, 05:34 AM   #2
Sean McMaster

Profile:
Re: starting Strength vs CF

Quote:
can anybody suggest a means to obtaining a copy?
Put it on your Christmas wish list?

Or you could find a friend/relative with a credit card and give them cash.

Try here

or

here

Both work/family safe.

But whatever you do, definitely get it.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:50 AM   #3
Tom Fetter

Profile:

Get the book - it's worth going without something else for a week or two to do so. Truly. There are voluminous discussions of SS on other forums (on bodybuilding.com, IIRC), but you'll want to have the book to read, re-read, and scrape out every scrap of form info you can.

My kids and I (2 teens, one younger) were rank beginners, and doubled our lifts in 3 months of SS before we started doing CF wods. Would have put on more size had we eaten more (it wasn't a goal).

IMO, while I've had strength gains since doing CF - and my conditioning level has gone up sharply - if your short-term goal is strength and a bit of size, do SS 'till you meet that goal. It's very effective.

t
Old 12-04-2007, 10:23 PM   #4
Randy Nelson

Profile:

Will,

If you want strength and size go with starting strength and food. The starting strength lifts: squat, deadlift, cleans and presses are easier to learn and build more strength than the O-lifts.

Good luck.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:39 PM   #5
Emily Mattes

Profile:

Will, the Barnes & Noble near me orders Starting Strength in but I have no idea what the situation in London is. Do you have any big-box booksellers nearby (or farther than nearby) you can try? Another option is EBay or Half.com, and see if you can find a seller willing to accept personal checks. Better yet, ask someone with a credit card to order it for you and then pay it back.

I can't believe I'm suggesting this, but if worse comes to worse, well, there is no better time to build good credit than when you're young. Don't know how it is in the UK, but in the US good credit means low interest rates on loans in the future. You could take this as an opportunity to find a credit card with nice benefits and a low APR (I found a UK credit card comparison site here, WFS). Just for God's sake, pay off the full balance every month (NOT just the minimum payment) and don't rack up any debt! There's enough debtors out there as it is!
Old 12-05-2007, 12:37 AM   #6
Will Parker

Profile:

ok thanks for your replies, will go with SS then. As to obtaining a copy none of the bookstores near me sell it such as waterstones, books etc and one other I can't remember the name of.

I have been thinking about getting a credit card it's just as you say I don't want to end up in any debt and it seems to happen to alot of people so thats risky especially at my age.

I asked my parents to order it for me but they're uncomfortable ordering something priced in $(I'm not sure why). I don't really feel comfortable asking a friends parents or something to order it if my parents won't.

I'll see if I can get one of the bookstores to order in a copy maybe.

Once I finish the SS rountine hypothetically speaking would my gains be retained by CF when I go back to the WOD? Talking about strength here rather than size.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:22 AM   #7
Alicia Michel

Profile:

See http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224 (WFS)
Old 12-05-2007, 05:32 AM   #8
Emily Mattes

Profile:

Well, there's never a better time to order in dollars than now . . . I think it's $2 for every British pound, right? You guys have it good for buying American over there.

Anyway, good luck with the book! I think your SS gains are retained from Crossfit. You'll continue to see gains, just probably not at the rate you saw from SS.

Last edited by Emily Mattes : 12-05-2007 at 05:34 AM.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:34 AM   #9
Tom Fetter

Profile:

I've not only retained my SS gains while doing CF, I'm progressing enough to set PRs on most of the WOD's heavy lifting days. Up another #5 on last night's front squats, for e.g.. That said, I've been lifting less than a year (if you don't count time spent 20 years ago), and am only in the "intermediate" range of Rip's charts. As a relative newcomer, my body is still responding well and quickly.

Many CFers who have lifted longer (who are stronger, and need more stimulus) or have specific strength goals supplement the lifting in CF WODs one way or another either to hold or build strength. Check out the many threads on the ME Black Box for some ideas.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:26 PM   #10
Derek Weaver

Profile:

Will,
If you are still 18, I'd think you have quite a bit filling out to do. I'd follow more of a Performancemenu.com approach.

that will allow you to keep your level of conditioning from dipping too far AND give you a solid strength base.

Maybe do a 3x/week powerlifting routine with 1 or 2 metcons. Having trained in BJJ and Muay Thai in the past I'd say that getting your conditioning back is tough to do with added weight.

How bout more information as to age? Overall style (more towards the stand up or do you like being on the mat?) etc. That way you can tailor your training in the next few months that you have off towards what you'll need to be successful.